Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #21
druturn

Default Re: Home Protection Firearm

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
Nice gun, but sorta long for me, which is why I chose the Mossberg for easy maneuvering.
PLEASE put a buttstock on that thing. If you can become extremely accurate with it as is, by all means, go ahead and use it. When people go out and buy a pistol gripped shotgun with a short barrel simply because it is short and "tactical", it scares the living hell out of me. I have shot guns all of my life, but the moment I tried this Mossberg, I was terrified that this weapon sells as greatly as it does as difficult as it is get a good picture sight and align with targets quickly. I am not hating on you, but mossberg just scares the hell out of me with some of the guns they make for the masses for "home-defense."

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
Whatever u are comfortable with and use at the range the most. The users familarity with the firearm matters more in a moment of panic and stress than what the weapon actually is.
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
An 870 is what I have as well, as Hugh said the pump is enough to send them the other way but it will put a hurting on them if they don't
QFE

Last edited by druturn; 03-11-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #22
druturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Shotgun for sure, especially if it comes down to using it. You won't miss in an inside home situation.
You would be surprised to find out how easy it is to miss a target in an inside home situation, even with a shotgun. Extreme close quarters firing with a shotgun must be PRECISE firing. What you failed to realize is that when the shot leaves the barrel of the shotgun, it is not in the spread out pattern that it will be in 15-20 feet or so. When the shot leaves the barrel at that close of a range, it is in an extremely tight grouping. Again, train, train, and train. Take several different loads of rounds out to the range and do some practical shooting at very close distances(if possible, not all ranges allow things like this). Try shooting your selected rounds at a range of 5-10 feet and see what kind of grouping you get. You will be surprised just how accurate you must be to hit a target. Just because you have a shotgun does NOT mean you will automatically hit your target because you are aiming in the general area of the target.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #23
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

honestly, the best HD gun is the one you practice/train with. shotguns are good depending on load, handgun. A glock with a taclight would make a good one.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #24
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuceone View Post
also do some research on ammo. some ammo can keep on trveling threw walls.
Great point if you have children or others sleeping in other rooms! Beware of collateral damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan View Post
12 gauge shotgun,nothing more scarier to a bad guy then a pump gun being racked.
AGREED! MY dad has scared off people in his back yard with this approach without confronting them

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvilchez View Post
I applaud your concerns for safety. Do as much research as you can. AFTER you have taken a firearms safety class I would suggest going to a range where you have the option of shooting various calibers such as the .40 and 9mm.

If you are going to have it at home I would suggest your wife taking the class as well and going with you to try the different options also.

Please do not look into this type of ammo. There are 5 safety rules I go by:

1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.
2. Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you intend to fire.
4. Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire.
5. Know youor target and what lies beyond.

You might learn something different while at your class but by all means think safety first. By the looks of it you're on the right track.
Excellent points! Point #4 gets to your familiarity with the weapon. It shouldn't be in your house until you and your spouse know how to use it instinctively (worth mentioning I think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Everyone. I repeat, everyone, in your home must be trained to handle any firearms in the home. The exception is with minors who cannot be trusted due to age or lack of maturity. Mind you, some adults cannot be trusted due to lack of maturity as well, you make the call.

In my opinion, you should take a firearms safety class followed by at least a firearms self defense class. Self defense shooting is a whole lot different from range shooting. Only then will you know what weapon you feel comfortable with, if any.

Personally, I like an aluminum baseball bat as the first line of defense followed by a short barrel shotgun followed by a handgun with shot shells alternating with hollow points. But that's just me.

Note that any weapon that is within easy reach of you any place you are in the house is within easy reach of a foe. Many times, the person breaking in knows the victim and all their hiding places.

At this point in my life, the best plan I can offer for self defense is a good escape route. I would encourage you to insure everything in your house because they are only things. Save the people with a great plan to get them out of harms way. Also, I would encourage an alarm with a panic button that has a remote control fob that can be worn on the person.

One last thing, in the event that your house is every broken in to, anyone escaping or getting to a window should yell "fire" as loud as they can. Most neighbors will respond to "fire" by calling 911 when they would ignore "help" or similar. At least that's what I'm told by some of my LEO friends.
Sage advice indeed!
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #25
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiE View Post
I like my chances with my trusty Remington 870!
Old 03-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #26
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

My Remington P870 with #4 buck...

ps. safety, safety, and safety; practice, practice, and more practice!

Quote:
12 gauge shotgun,nothing more scarier to a bad guy then a pump gun being racked.
...Yes!

Old 03-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #27
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
A shotgun cocking is enough to scare most any intruder. And, the scatter if you hafta shoot means you'll likely hit the intruder, and the pellets likely won't travel too far to endager neighbors et al.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
An 870 is what I have as well, as Hugh said the pump is enough to send them the other way but it will put a hurting on them if they don't
Agreed on all accounts. Me? I have a Mossberg 590A1.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #28
Cornrow_Wallis
<insert user title>

First Name: Rob
Trading: (8)
Cornrow_Wallis is on a distinguished road

I'm with you guys on the 12 gauge.

But there is no way in hell that I would try to scare someone away by racking a shell into the chamber. If they take off, it's all well and good. If they don't run, then you have a serious problem.

1) The guy now knows where you are and that you have a gun.
2) You've given him time to react.
3) If he is also armed, you might scare him into shooting at you.
4) If there is more than one, you're on a-whole-nother level of screwed. Especially if they are split up. Then you have two or three guys in your house, possibly armed and definitely scared.

In my unprofessional opinion, if you're going to try to scare someone instead of shooting them, you're probably better off locking the doors and yelling that you're going to call the police. Use the shotgun as back up in case they try something crazy like kicking your bedroom door in.

That's just a couple thoughts I had. I've never been in that situation and there is no way to know how you'll act if something like that goes down. Just something to think about.
Cornrow_Wallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #29
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornrow_Wallis View Post
I'm with you guys on the 12 gauge.

But there is no way in hell that I would try to scare someone away by racking a shell into the chamber. If they take off, it's all well and good. If they don't run, then you have a serious problem.

1) The guy now knows where you are and that you have a gun.
You say this like it's a bad thing. I sure as Hell don't have cotton candy for him.
Quote:
2) You've given him time to react.
Which includes rethinking/retreating. This is not a bad thing.
Quote:
3) If he is also armed, you might scare him into shooting at you.
It's possible, but if I'm chambering a round, it's not going to be in a direct line of sight. Further, I have the tactical advantage because I have, "home court advantage." Iknow the layout of my house, and they do not.
Quote:
4) If there is more than one, you're on a-whole-nother level of screwed. Especially if they are split up. Then you have two or three guys in your house, possibly armed and definitely scared.
If you have that many perpetrators in your house, you think you're NOT screwed?

Just some counter-thoughts to your thoughts.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #30
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

I sent my wife to a gun safety course and she did very well... I use the SW 1911 with hollow points and she's a very good shot...my brother works for the CIA and advised if she ever has to use it to dump all rounds into the perp as she can use the excuse she was scared crapless helps with court...
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #31
Cornrow_Wallis
<insert user title>

First Name: Rob
Trading: (8)
Cornrow_Wallis is on a distinguished road

I live alone right now anyways, so if I heard someone in the house I doubt I would even venture outside my room. Like I said above, I'd probably just train the shotgun on the bedroom door and call the five-o.
Cornrow_Wallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #32
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
The users familarity with the firearm matters more in a moment of panic and stress than what the weapon actually is.
Exactly...in a stressful situation, you will instinctively revert back to your training...or lack of training. Frequent, proper training/practice is essential. For instance, if you will keep the thumb safety a handgun engaged while it is idle, practice disengaging the safety before each burst of fire.

For ammunition, as some have suggested, look for rounds (for indoor home protection) that will stop the threat without continuing long distances past the threat after impact.

Outside the home, a Glock is a good choice for a handgun for a beginner in that it is "double - double action" and has the added safety feature of the trigger safety. I would also suggest at least .40 caliber for adequate stopping power. A more experienced shooter may choose something like what I carry off duty, a Sig Sauer .45 caliber, which has "double -single action", which gives me more accuracy on subsequent rounds in stressful situations. Ideally, you would try several handguns at a range before purchasing to see what you are most comfortable with.

Again echoing others' sentiments, shotguns arer a good choice for in-home protection.....and an AR-15 for riot-control on your property couldn't hurt.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #33
TonySmith
Feeling at Home

Trading: (1)
AirForce
TonySmith has disabled reputation

Just a thought, not much good except for home/personal defense

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...crumbseries=41

especially with this round

http://www.winchester.com/Products/N.../pdx1-410.aspx
TonySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #34
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Again echoing others' sentiments, shotguns arer a good choice for in-home protection.....and an AR-15 for riot-control on your property couldn't hurt.
Your wife might like this model esp. for the ladies:

Old 03-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #35
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Everyone. I repeat, everyone, in your home must be trained to handle any firearms in the home. The exception is with minors who cannot be trusted due to age or lack of maturity. Mind you, some adults cannot be trusted due to lack of maturity as well, you make the call.

Amen. We taught my youngest son (the only one still living at home) how to shoot when he was 9. My wife pretty much learned along with him.

He was a very mature 9, and the range masters at my local range took extra time with him, helping him out. We were able to just go there and rent the guns for him and my wife to shoot, my S&W 9mm was a little much for him at that age.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #36
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

I'd go with an ar, they are easy to handle, you can keep it by your bed in hot standby, and you have a lot of ammo in one mag. Plus they are fun as hell to shoot.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #37
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by druturn View Post
PLEASE put a buttstock on that thing. If you can become extremely accurate with it as is, by all means, go ahead and use it. When people go out and buy a pistol gripped shotgun with a short barrel simply because it is short and "tactical", it scares the living hell out of me. I have shot guns all of my life, but the moment I tried this Mossberg, I was terrified that this weapon sells as greatly as it does as difficult as it is get a good picture sight and align with targets quickly. I am not hating on you, but mossberg just scares the hell out of me with some of the guns they make for the masses for "home-defense."

QFE
Not sure how good of a picture sight you could get in a dark room in a stressful situation.

I've put a few hundred rounds through my pistol and with the laser site, and can shoot very accurately.

I've shot the Mossberg only a few times and it was held slightly above waist level at a target which was at about 10 yards. I was quite pleased with the results.

Due to the fact I don't live alone, I keep birdshot in the Mossberg.

Just the same, I'll consider a buttstock and continue to pray I never need to use it.

Last edited by floydpink; 03-11-2011 at 09:41 PM.
floydpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:04 AM   #38
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

One other consideration is that if you turn on the tac light, make sure that you do it from a place of concealment as it makes a convenient aiming point for an armed intruder to fire back at you.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:38 AM   #39
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLostGringo View Post
Thanks for all the great information. Think I will take the class and then try some guns at the range before making a decision.
Roger, when are you taking the class? I might be so inclined to take it with you... Ive been meaning to do this for a while now.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:54 AM   #40
Homebrewer
Love'm Tatuaje

Trading: (9)
Homebrewer is on a distinguished road

I think you have to shoot a gun and see how it feels in your hand. That's why I love my Sig 9mm. Fits in my hand perfectly. Glocks are too boxy for my hand. I have a Mossberg w/pistol grip too, but If something goes down at night and I have to grab something fast, it's going to be a pistol.
Homebrewer is offline   Reply With Quote