Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
LockOut
Burn Baby Burn

First Name: Tom
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
LockOut will become famous soon enough
Default Who's had their gall bladder out?

I have been having minor stomach aches for about a month every time I eat a full meal lately. normally they just go away. I ate some really fatty and greasy burgers and fries last night and had a stomach ache. Came home after working the over night and woke up about 45 minutes later in intense pain. Some of the worse pain I had ever had. Wound up taking an ambulance ride to the hospital with one of my co-workers working me up. A bunch of pain meds and anti nausea meds later we have come down to I have gall stones and gall bladder inflammation. I have to go see a surgeon Monday to schedule surgery. What should i expect from it. Also anyone got nay good low fat or not fat recipes or foods that I can get by on until i get this stupid thing out?
IAFF Local #4907
LockOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Who's had their gall bladder out?

About 18 months ago. The pain was terrible from the gall stones. As long as they can get the bladder out laproscopically, you will be back on your feet in one week (depending on the work you do). I moved over to a complete non-fat diet before the gall bladder come out (salad without dressing, etc, etc). No fancy recipes, just cut the fat out completely. I had a sludging stone so any fat would flare it up. Thats what the gall bladder does, it stores bile used to help digest fat.

Anyway, it is a routine operation if done laproscopically, almost always done out patient. I went in a 6am, was home by 3pm (although I was told my post-op recovery was very fast). For the first few days, the pain is pretty bad and some pain meds are needed, but it quickly goes away. After a week, I was back at work (desk job) and about 4 weeks after was 100%.

There are some complications that can happen if the stone starts to sludge or break apart (like pancreatitis which is life threatening) so have it removed sooner then later. As far as post op eating, was back to normal digestion within a a couple of days.

Good luck
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:27 AM   #3
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
RyJ
Bruins Fan will become famous soon enoughBruins Fan will become famous soon enough

I had mine out in 2007, I had a bad attack the year before and went into the ER I sat there for at least five hours with out being looked at, the pain subsided I walked out.
In the fall of 2007 I had another attack thought it was indigestion or something I ate?
After six or seven hours of pain the wife drove me to the hospital, ( different one ) good thing it was like two am and after all the tests they called the surgeon.
I was under the knife by 8:00 am, when the doctor went for it it burst, and was full of gang green that was seeping into the cavity he had to make an incision of about 15 inches to get in and clean up the mess. I was on the table for about seven hours
The doctor told me if I did not come in when I did I might not have lived another two hours.
Get yourself checked out, It is done as an out patiant procedure.
Good luck.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:45 AM   #4
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

they took mine out less 18 days ago
Old 12-20-2009, 06:11 AM   #5
leasingthisspace

My wife had her's removed in the late 90's.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2009, 08:45 AM   #6
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

My Wife had a lot of gallstones and had hers removed about ten years ago. She recovered quickly and just has to be careful not to eat oily, greasy food. She takes Pepcid and drinks plenty of water when it flares up with.

Best wishes for a completely routine surgery and a quick recovery!
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Same Thing Happened To Me 3 years Ago. Thought I was Having A Heart Attack Or Ruptured Aneurysm With Acute Abdominal Pain & Shortness of breath. Rushed To The ER & Found out It Was My GB. Had Surgery Laparoscopically and did Great. No Pain After The First Day. Only Thing I Have To Watch Out For Is Eating A Lot Of Fats, Especially A lot of Icing on Birthday Cake, For Example! Goes Right Through You, If You Know What I Mean!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #8
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

I Changed My Diet For 3 Months after That Attack And Before I Had Surgery. No Pizza, Ice Cream, Cake Or Other Fatty Foods & I Didn't Have Any More Attacks. GL With The Surgery, Brother & Keep Us Informed!
Old 12-20-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
LockOut
Burn Baby Burn

First Name: Tom
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
LockOut will become famous soon enough

Yea thats what I'm really afraid of. I live off of red meat. Its by far my favorite food and comprises most of my diet. It's really frustrating to me, I'm only 22 and your telling me I cant eat a steak for the rest of my life with out the Hersey squirts. WTF. Is there anything you can do for your diet to allow you to eat those type of foods again after this? Like taking a pill before you eat or something?
IAFF Local #4907
LockOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:38 AM   #10
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockOut View Post
Yea thats what I'm really afraid of. I live off of red meat. Its by far my favorite food and comprises most of my diet. It's really frustrating to me, I'm only 22 and your telling me I cant eat a steak for the rest of my life with out the Hersey squirts. WTF. Is there anything you can do for your diet to allow you to eat those type of foods again after this? Like taking a pill before you eat or something?
Steak Never Bothers Me, Brother. Even If I Eat Pizza, Now, I'm Usually OK. Just Remember After You Have The Surgery, You Have A "2 Minute Warning"!

It's Still 100% Better Than Not Having The Surgery. Believe Me, You Will Risk Serious Complications If You Wait & The GB "Ruptures".
Old 12-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #11
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

There Are Pills That you Can Take To Decrease The Symptoms, But I Usually Don't Need any. Check With Your MD. I Occasionally Take A Nexium.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:17 AM   #12
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
My dad had his gall bladder removed 25 years ago, and he never stopped eating steaks. My doctor only told me to watch out with the fat, but said steaks aren't a problem, so don't worry.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:00 PM   #13
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Is there anything you can do for your diet to allow you to eat those type of foods again after this? Like taking a pill before you eat or something?
Yes. You have to start food combining and having more fiber with your diet in general. Carbs and meat protein should never be in the same meal. Things like rice and chicken and meat and potatoes will be a thing of the past, but you can still eat both. Keep meat portions to a palm size.

You should also be drinking more water. One ounce of water per pound of body weight everyday.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:17 PM   #14
Conch Republican
10-78

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
Conch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to behold

Awwwww Muffin! Suck it up and have a cigar with us tonight. Hell, it's not like you won't know anyone at the hospital! Don't forget to write in permanent marker where to cut!
Old 12-20-2009, 12:23 PM   #15
Steelerfanatic
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (7)
RA Navy (Served With Honor)
Steelerfanatic is on a distinguished road

Had mine out in 2004. In and out in a few hours and back to work in 4 days. I eat pretty much what I want but you will pay for it afterwords

Good luck!
Steelerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #16
beamish

had mine out this year also,their is a test they can give you the result that determines whether your gaul bladder works is called a,retraction fraction,they inject the fats that cause flairups and monitor the bladder,before they had this chemical ,they would make you eat a greasy cheeseburger and fries, I believe a normal reading on the fraction is anything above 30,mine was a 6 ,2 weeks later had the surgery laproscopic,not to bad they blow your stomach up with air,to seperate all the organs i guess,stay away from any fiber foods after the surgery,I have been diagnosed with IBS so the surgery didnt do that much for me,running to the bathroom after meals is a way of life for me,especially anything with cream like alfredo sauce,,,good luck