Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Reviews

Old 10-18-2008, 10:24 PM   #1
Hydrated

Default Firedance Flake - Two Tobaccos in one

I've been smoking this stuff for a few weeks now, and I've discovered that this weed has two faces. Two very distinct personalities, and I'm gonna tell you how I can call on whichever one that I want to taste at the time.

Firedance Flake is an aromatic flake from Samuel Gawith. It is basically Gawith's Best Brown Flake with a topping of blackberries, brandy, and vanilla. So when you buy a tin, you're getting the best quality leaf that has been topped... not some crap tobacco that needs a casing just to be bearable.

So what are the two personalities? Depending on how you smoke it, this can be either a great Virginia or one great aromatic flake.

If you want a nice Virginia:
Rub the flakes out well and let them dry a bit before loading them up in your weapon of choice. When you first get the tobacco lit... puff like hell just long enough to get it kind of hot. Then put the pipe down for 20 or 30 minutes to cool down and cook off the fruity aromatic topping. When you relight the bowl, you'll be smoking a bowl of rubbed out Best Brown Flake!

It takes a little practice to get it juuuuust right with initially heating up the bowl without ruining the whole bowl with that bitter aftertaste, but you'll get it quickly. It's not that hard to do.

Now for a great aromatic smoke:
Smoke this as whole flakes. When smoked as a flake, this stuff burns nice and cool... and the berry flavors pop out at you. It really does taste like its tin aroma. But the amazing thing to me is how far down the bowl that it holds its aromatic flavoring. I can taste the berries in this tobacco nearly to the bottom of the bowl... as long as I smoke it in whole flakes.

One word of warning, however... it WILL leave your pipe smelling like a potpourri bowl afterward. I have a pipe dedicated to this blend, and I think I could probably use that Meer as an air freshener if the wife runs out of Glade!

This is one blend that I'll always have around... great quality tobacco. And how often do you get to describe a tobacco as "versatile"?
Old 10-19-2008, 10:03 AM   #2
mugwump
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Mike
Trading: (0)
RyJ Navy (Served With Honor)
mugwump is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Firedance Flake - Two Tobaccos in one

Thanks for the review. I've been tempted to try this but the description of the blend always sounded a bit overpowering with all those flavors. Sounds like you found a way to temper it as needed.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
Cigargal
Waiting for SoCal XI

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Cigargal will become famous soon enoughCigargal will become famous soon enough

This is one of my favs. I have a couple of tins from 06 that I should dig out and have some. Thanks for the review.
Cigargal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:24 AM   #4
Hydrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump View Post
Thanks for the review. I've been tempted to try this but the description of the blend always sounded a bit overpowering with all those flavors. Sounds like you found a way to temper it as needed.
Yeah... my buddy down at the B&M tried to get me to try this for months before I gave in. The tin description gave me visions of some goopy overbearing casing, but I was very pleasantly surprised. The flavors aren't overbearing at all... they're nice and balanced.

Oh yeah... you can buy this tobac in bulk too. Makes it a nice affordable flake when you buy it that way.

Last edited by Hydrated; 10-19-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:52 PM   #5
Python

Nice review!

This is one of my favorite tobaccos.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:12 PM   #6
rharris
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Richard
Trading: (48)
rharris will become famous soon enough