Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 06-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #1
Infecting Via PM

First Name: Brendon
Trading: (35)
RA
363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about
Default Fathers Day ~ 1st time Smoking

Was cleaning out the garage a while ago and stumbled upon my grandfathers smoker and figured in memory of him and that I want to make some good food hopefully, that I would attempt my 1st smoking on fathers day.. pork shoulder.

Couple questions,
the thermometer is broken, where can I find a replacement for it?
from what I've found "The Brinkmann Sportsman charcoal smoker uses smoke, heat and steaming liquid to slow-cook foods." can anyone give me any good tips or hell I haven't found a recipe to try yet and Sundays right around the corner, and does http://www.ehow.com/how_4780568_smok...an-smoker.html seem like a pretty good guide line to go by?
thanks
363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #2
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Fathers Day ~ 1st time Smoking

1. Get pork butt, not shoulder. It is way better meat. It is also a good bit smaller and easier to cook.
2. Get a new thermo just about anywhere- wally world, target, grocery store. when you get it, test it in boiling water. it should read 212. If it does not, you know how much to compensate for
3. Cook at about 225/230*. This will get it done at about 90 mins per pound
4. Pull when internal temp hits 195. Wrap in foil, then in a couple towels and then in a cooler to rest for an hour or so (or longer if necessary.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
Jefft72
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (2)
Jefft72 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a good way to spend Sunday morning. Be sure to factor in ~30-45min for the charcoal to burn down to coals and to get the pit to smoking temperature before adding the meat.

I have found that Academy is a good one stop shop for your BBQ needs (lump charcoal, wood for smoking, thermometers, tools, etc).

I have never done a pork butt, but I am tossing the idea around of hosting lunch on Sunday with family.

Good luck with the cooking.
Jefft72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
ironchefscott
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: scott
Trading: (5)
HUpmann
ironchefscott will become famous soon enough

Good find with the smoker...got the father mojo hopefully still lurking in it...please post pics of your adventures!
ironchefscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Let us know how it goes
Old 06-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

That was my first smoker, and I still have and use it periodically.

Here are some mods that will make cooking with a ECB a little easier.

If you drill holes in the fire pan, make sure that you have a metal pan under the smoker and DO NOT fire that thing up on a wood (or anything combustible) deck. The early ECBs had vent holes in the firepan until someone burned down their house and sued.

I do not use liquid in the water pan personally. I prefer the "bark" that my rub gives and steam from the liquid is not real condusive to that. The objective is to provide a "thermal barrier" between the heat source and the food so that you are cooking with an indirect heat as opposed to a direct heat source. Instead, I use playground sand in the water pan. Works well, you can sift out any grease dripping, and it's easy to clean up afterwards.

BTW, I use a probe thermometer with a wireless reciever. Not only can I move to whatever smoker I am using, but with the wireless reciever, I can be anywhere I wnat and still know my temps. Some of the best ~$30 I spent.

Just my worth, your millage may vary!

My herd (most of them at least )

My Hot Rodded ECB

Oh, and the most important part...post up pictures!
Old 06-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

That's the key, without pictures, we simply won't believe you....

And while we are at it, I have to ask what might be a stupid question,
not unlike Monty Python....Chip said to test your thermo by dipping it
in boiling water, which boils at 212....but does not water also boil at 250?
325?? 400?? How can you test a thermo that way? Is it a ROLLING boil,
or the first bubbles that denote 212?

btw the reference was "Can you not also build a bridge out of STONE??"

Last edited by OLS; 06-12-2012 at 10:29 AM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
Infecting Via PM

RA
363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post

If you drill holes in the fire pan, make sure that you have a metal pan under the smoker and DO NOT fire that thing up on a wood (or anything combustible) deck. The early ECBs had vent holes in the firepan until someone burned down their house and sued.

I do not use liquid in the water pan personally. I prefer the "bark" that my rub gives and steam from the liquid is not real condusive to that. The objective is to provide a "thermal barrier" between the heat source and the food so that you are cooking with an indirect heat as opposed to a direct heat source. Instead, I use playground sand in the water pan. Works well, you can sift out any grease dripping, and it's easy to clean up afterwards.

BTW, I use a probe thermometer with a wireless reciever. Not only can I move to whatever smoker I am using, but with the wireless reciever, I can be anywhere I wnat and still know my temps. Some of the best ~$30 I spent.

Awesome thanks for the tips, I am gonna def do a few of these mods at least, is there a nice simple rub to help produce a good bark?
Old 06-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
That's the key, without pictures, we simply won't believe you....

And while we are at it, I have to ask what might be a stupid question,
not unlike Monty Python....Chip said to test your thermo by dipping it
in boiling water, which boils at 212....but does not water also boil at 250?
325?? 400?? How can you test a thermo that way? Is it a ROLLING boil,
or the first bubbles that denote 212?

btw the reference was "Can you not also build a bridge out of STONE??"
The hottest that plain water can get at atmospheric pressure is 212, the bubbles you see are because once water hits 212 the heat energy that is being put into the water is no longer raising the temperature, it is vaporizing the water at the bottom of the pan and makes the boiling water look like it's rolling. Pressure cookers work by increasing the temperature that water vaporizes thus increasing the temperature at which the water boils, so you can essentially boil things at hotter than 212.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo35980 View Post
The hottest that plain water can get at atmospheric pressure is 212, the bubbles you see are because once water hits 212 the heat energy that is being put into the water is no longer raising the temperature, it is vaporizing the water at the bottom of the pan and makes the boiling water look like it's rolling. Pressure cookers work by increasing the temperature that water vaporizes thus increasing the temperature at which the water boils, so you can essentially boil things at hotter than 212.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 363 View Post
Awesome thanks for the tips, I am gonna def do a few of these mods at least, is there a nice simple rub to help produce a good bark?
BTW, I am in no way associated with the website that I linked to, but I have made several mods that he illistrated. I have not tried any of his recipies.

As for a rub, look up Alton Brown's website. He did a pretty good show on BBQ a while back and he gave a nice beginners basic rub. Just remember, a recipe is only a guide, play with it to make it your own. There also several rubs availiable at various supermarkets and such. Bad Byrons Butt Rub is hard to beat for a commercial rub
Old 06-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #12
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo35980 View Post
WHO SAYS kids don't like science anymore! Thanks for that info. I was not paying attention in school.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
WHO SAYS kids don't like science anymore! Thanks for that info. I was not paying attention in school.
I actually learned thermodynamics and heat transfer in Navy Nuclear Power School, your country's tax dollars at work, training me to boil water.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #14
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

My money was well spent I see
Old 06-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #15
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post

My herd (most of them at least )

My Hot Rodded ECB

That setup don't suck bro!!
Old 06-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #16
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Thanks Mike. I have a VERY loving and understanding wife who doesn't give me too much grief about all of my toys. And between fishing, BBQ'n, cigars and such, I have a few toys
Old 06-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #17
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 363 View Post
...is there a nice simple rub to help produce a good bark?
You can also do a search thru the recipies as well as the "What's in your Smoker" thread. As I recall there have been a few posted. I would rather give you a base to start out with and then have you add/subtract things that you like/don't like. Beware, it is a slippery slop like any other. We have been perfectiong our rubs and sauces for the last 15 or 20 years
Old 06-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #18
Infecting Via PM

RA

should I brine this or just do a rub before I smoke it, and how long would you say the coals will last before I should swap them out for fresh ones?
Old 06-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #19
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Your call on brining...some do, I don't.

The longevity of coals are anyones guess. It depends a lot on the brand, the surrounding temperature and humidity, etc. I use natural lump charcoal personally, but I know Brent (one of the REAL bbq Guru atound here) uses brickets (Kingsford I think). Keep an eye on your temperature and add just a piece or two when the temperature starts to drop. Again, this takes a bit of practice. If you add too much or too soon, you can get into wild temperature swings. That's not the end of the world, but it make it a little rougher on yourself. Practice, practice practice, and when you think you have it down, practice some more . One of the pest things about BBQ'n to me is getting to eat my mistakes!

BTW, Lump burns hotter (so you don't need as much) but probably costs more and may be harder to find. I can get it at the big box hardware stores and supermarkets around here. I use lump to start my tow-behind stick burner.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #20
Infecting Via PM

RA

I found this rub and think I'm gonna try it out
http://www.bbqpitboys.com/pork_dry_rub.html