Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 11-29-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
Comicbookfreak
Tattooed 4 Life

Location: Goverment Facility Solving The Riddles of Time Travel
Trading: (0)
HdM
Comicbookfreak is on a distinguished road
Default Chinese Democracy

After listening to the new Guns N' Roses album Chinese Democracy I think Axl has written another masterpiece. Not exactly Appetite for Destruction, as there could never be anoyther one of those, but a very, very good album none the less. With orchestral parts, keyboards by Dizzy Reed, and great guitar Rifts by Buckethead, Bumblefoot and Robin Finck, while not being the original Guns lineup the music has not suffered at all. And Axl writing is still as good as ever. Songs such as There Was A Time, Madagascar, Better, Catcher In The Rye, Chinese Democracy, Shackler's Revenge, I.R.S., and all the others show off Axl's range in musical arrangement and writing style. There is not a bad song on this album imho. And for all the critics that say this sucks, alot of people said the same about Use your Illusion I and II and they sold over 10 million copies. Axl has another platinum album here to add to the wall.

As far as not being Guns N' Roses and people thinking he should not call them that, maybe Slash and Duff should have not signed the rights to the band over to Axl. Don't get me wrong I like Slash and Duff and have partied with these guys back when the original GN'R was together, they are great guys and musicians and I would love to see them all get back together. But Axl has every right to call this band what he wants just like say Nine Inch Nails, Danzig or Metallica have the same name but not the original members.

I am looking forward to the next 2 albums as there are supposed to be 3 installments to what is supposed to be a trilogy of albums from the new Guns with the 3rd being released in 2012. But this is a rumor told by Sebastian Bach(Skid Row). Hopefully by then Axl, Slash, and Duff will have buried the hatchet, I think Izzy and Axl are still on good terms as they have played together since and were never really were on bad terms. I doubt very seriously Steven Adler will ever be back in shape to tour with Guns and Matt Sorum can easily be replaced, never liked Sorum anyway. But if not, and the original lineup can't get back together, I still see nothing but good things from Axl.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Chinese Democracy

Opinions may vary, Brent.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
Comicbookfreak
Tattooed 4 Life

Location: Goverment Facility Solving The Riddles of Time Travel
Trading: (0)
HdM
Comicbookfreak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Opinions may vary, Brent.
Absolutely brother, the world would be boring if they were all the same. And I respect the opinions of people who don't agree. I just think imho that Axl has yurned out another great album and all in all would love to see the old band get back together, but if it doesn't Axl will still be very successful.

C'mon Tom you know you wanna see the new Tour.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I would go see Slash and Duff with any singer....but it would be cool if it was Axl. I just don't see it happening any time soon, though.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
Tombstone

The title of this thread is an oxymoron
Old 11-29-2008, 08:54 PM   #6
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Slash wouldn't piss on Axl if he was on fire. Axl is the sole reason that GnR isn't around as we knew it. Chinese Democracy is a joke, much like what Axl has done to the name GnR itself.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:07 PM   #7
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

This is awesome album that may take a few listens to really appreciate.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:10 PM   #8
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

I've actually come to like a few of the songs on this album. Mosesbotbol is right that it may take a few listens.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:31 PM   #9
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

I just downloaded it and am listening to it as we speak.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:35 PM   #10
vicvitola

Songwriting aside, his voice is shot. It sounds horrible IMO.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #11
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicvitola View Post
Songwriting aside, his voice is shot. It sounds horrible IMO.
I'm in song 3 now, and I was just thinking the same. And the songs sound outdated so far, very 90's
Old 12-01-2008, 01:09 PM   #12
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

I gave it a listen once through and was not impressed. A few of the songs were catchy but just sounded forced IMO. I'll give it another listen through and see what I think but it didn't immediately catch me like "Appetite" or "Illusion" did.
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:13 PM   #13
Ace$nyper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
I'm in song 3 now, and I was just thinking the same. And the songs sound outdated so far, very 90's
It's different to hear now, as new instead of taken in it's time, kinda offers something.

To be honest, mixed feelings. I need to give it a few more trys and let it sink in.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #14
Goz

I agree with it taking a couple of listens to really start to appreciate it. I can see people not liking it because of their feelings about Axl (which I think is completely justified) or not sounding like Appetite or Illusions I and II, but to say his voice is shot just doesn’t make sense. He shows as much if not more vocal dexterity on CD as he did on any of the other albums. And if you think it is just synthesized and enhanced you should see them live, he sounds as good as ever. Personally I try not to imagine if Axl, Duff, and Slash got back together. They could never live up to what they created before and they have all done fairly well separately. Hopefully VR will find a new singer soon and we can have some more new music from Slash and Duff as well.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:36 PM   #15
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

I like it.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:57 PM   #16
tobii3

apparently, not everyone is impressed......

Chines Democracy Review

some beautiful notes here.....

Quote:
It's an epic combination of mid-period Stevie Wonder, early Elton John, and side two of In Through the Out Door. This is the kind of gutter-glam boogie ballad that makes "November Rain" seem like a bucket of burro vomit warming in the afternoon sun.

I mean, come on.....13 friggin years and 14 studios......jeezus.....the teens that were bowing down to Axl back then....are now parents with teenagers!!!

Come on, lets be serious here, there are NO members of LA Guns or Hollywood Rose in the lineup.....so they should just call the 37 guys who helped make the album ""Axl's Amalgam""
Old 12-02-2008, 03:09 PM   #17
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobii3 View Post
apparently, not everyone is impressed......

Chines Democracy Review

some beautiful notes here.....

I mean, come on.....13 friggin years and 14 studios......jeezus.....the teens that were bowing down to Axl back then....are now parents with teenagers!!!

Come on, lets be serious here, there are NO members of LA Guns or Hollywood Rose in the lineup.....so they should just call the 37 guys who helped make the album ""Axl's Amalgam""
adding cd to arsenal heading to NC