Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 09-08-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
kzm007

Default Had a bit of a spree for Boswell's

I narrowed it down to five out of twelve only because I'm poor. Just put an order into Boswell's for an ounce of Apple Strudel, Bear Blend, Maple Leaf, Majestic 586, and Sweet Dreams.

Any experience with any of these blends? This is my first time actual pipe tobacco purchase; anything else was a gift, really.

Kegan
Old 09-09-2009, 02:18 AM   #2
Nick
Feeling at Home

First Name: That's confidential
Trading: (4)
Nick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Had a bit of a spree for Boswell's

northwoods is all ive tried and it was pretty good.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzm007 View Post
I narrowed it down to five out of twelve only because I'm poor. Just put an order into Boswell's for an ounce of Apple Strudel, Bear Blend, Maple Leaf, Majestic 586, and Sweet Dreams.

Any experience with any of these blends? This is my first time actual pipe tobacco purchase; anything else was a gift, really.

Kegan
Kegan, I'm a returning pipe smoker, and I've been completely away from the blends and manufacturers for 20 years. I've found an outstanding resource online for pipe tbaccos: tobaccoreviews.com
There are great reviews of various blends from many different companies listed in their database.

I've been checking the reviews there before I buy a tin of tabak that's unfamiliar to me. Give it a check, a few of the blends you purchased are listed there now.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
kzm007

True story; guess it's all up to personal taste, really. I'll let that be my opinion not be biased before it even ships.

Thanks for the link, rep given.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #5
WWhermit

KZM, I've had Bear Blend before, and think that as far as fruity aromatic blends go, there's none better!

When I first started smoking a pipe, all I had was aromatics. I found Boswells to be by far the best aromatic blenders out there. Bear blend is a little lighter and the "syrup" type flavors, but still gives everything you look for in that type of tobacco.

Another of their aromatics is Boswell's Best. I love this stuff. Nice, mellow, a bit of vanilla, very easy to puff away on.

Their Sweet Tea blend tastes more like orangy citrus with sugar than tea, which I guess was their intent. That one's good too, but I would put it at #3 out of those.

Had Penn Dutch Treat, and as far as cherry tobacco goes, it's described as the cherry tobacco by which all others are judged. Very good stuff, just a bit too much cherry for me.

I've also had Northwoods, which is an english blend. If you want an easy introduction to english, this is the blend to try. It gives just the right amount of english tobacco for you to get familiar with, without knocking you on your ass, as some others tend to do. Very smooth, easy smoking, but remember it is an english blend, and even the mild english blends are, well, english! Think smoking the smell of a campfire.

I haven't tried any of their virginias yet, simply because I have sooo much VA and VaPer that I thoroughly love, I couldn't imagine getting another.

Hope this helps. Been following your pipe journey from the start, enjoy every bit of it KZM!!

WWhermit
:
Old 09-21-2009, 02:20 AM   #6
kzm007

Default Few questions about ghosting flavors and Boswell's

Thanks WW nice to see I'm noticed. I've got my bags of tobacco arranged here in a drawer, alphabetized.

Personally, I think the Bear Blend smells a bit 'salty' if that makes sense; it also puts me in mind of the scent of dipping snuff...must be the tobacco scent coming through. At the same time, I can catch a whiff of it's sweetness, and I can't wait to try it after my Peaches is done.

This leads me to another question. I took a few dry pulls from my pipe the other day, and noticed it tasted a bit smoky from being used. If I run a pipe cleaner dipped in alcohol through the stem, should that remove the taste?

This is the only pipe I have handy; I left my too-small cobs at home. Are these tobaccos similar enough in flavor that I can get away with smoking them all in the same pipe, or should I get my corncobs over here when I can to avoid ghosting flavors in the briar? The Boswell site doesn't, to my knowledge, list which type of tobacco each blend is, and I'm still a newb. There was a site somewhere that explained each blend I thought, but darned if I can remember it.

I'm not smoking currently because I have a wisdom tooth coming in, and my jaw's killing me, but hopefully soon. I kinda miss my nicotine, but I'm not facing any withdrawal symptoms, which amazes me.

Thanks for the above info, and to anyone who can answer these newest questions.

Kegan