Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2014, 06:55 PM   #21
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation
Default Re: I Pulled The Trigger on an iPhone 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Peter, did Verizon hit you up with a $30 upgrade fee? I see that on their website when I log into my account and go through the upgrade process. I might be better off just preordering, and then selling mine on CL.
DO NOT PAY AN UPGRADE FEE! If you have been a customer for any period of time, the big carriers will waive the fee if you simply ask. I've gone through 3 or 4 upgrade cycles with AT&T. Each time they charge the fee, and as soon as the bill hits my in-box, I call to have it waived. They've done it every time for every line on my account.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:41 PM   #22
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Trying to decide if I'm going to give my 9 y/o my iP4 and get a 6... All she needs is a "phone" and paying for another data plan makes me hesitate, but she needs a phone?
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:22 PM   #23
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Another question. The trade in value, was this online or at a store? I just did their online appraisal. $36. WTF?!?!
Seriously?
Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
DO NOT PAY AN UPGRADE FEE! If you have been a customer for any period of time, the big carriers will waive the fee if you simply ask. I've gone through 3 or 4 upgrade cycles with AT&T. Each time they charge the fee, and as soon as the bill hits my in-box, I call to have it waived. They've done it every time for every line on my account.
I may have to call. I paid $90 (3 x $30) to upgrade and I've been with Verizon forever.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:59 AM   #24
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Trying to decide if I'm going to give my 9 y/o my iP4 and get a 6... All she needs is a "phone" and paying for another data plan makes me hesitate, but she needs a phone?
Does your carrier have a Family Share plan?
We have 4 phones, 3 with data, share 10GB (which is way more than enough) and my bill is under $160 now whereas it used to be $230ish.
The 3rd phone could share data as well if my brother would pony up for a smartphone.
All 3 iphones have the personal hotspot enabled, unlimited pics and text and long distance.
It's not a bad deal, and there are even better out there.
I think Sprint has a $100 20GB share plan, and they have an unlimited plan, too. I was looking it over the other day and looked careful enough to find out it was for the "first year". Rates weren't posted for the second year of the 2-year plan. And their deals on phones were pretty bad, but if you brought your smartphones over and just bought your own phones as necessary, it might be a decent deal. Just be careful with them.
I saw on tv that Walmart has a $34 plan, I'm not sure what that was about, but I think it was data and all the fluff, per phone. That may be worth a look, too
Edit:
I checked the Walmart plan. It sucks.
Unlimited is 2.5GB at 3g speed, then 2g thereafter. Unlimited calling is between 2 phones. Phone A and phone B in the plan. So I could talk and text one person on my plan, then I'd have to pay for all texts to anyone else. (As best as I could understand the small type.)
That's just great. Walmart.

Last edited by shilala; 09-19-2014 at 05:11 AM.
shilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:36 AM   #25
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Well, interesting. Last night I did the appraisal thingy on Verizon's website multiple times, each time getting something different. Same phone picked for trade in. Strange. The highest was $200, lowest the aforementioned $36.

Still mulling trading mine in for a new 6. Question is do I bite the bullet and just get the 128g? I also need to find out if I'll still be on the plan I have now, which costs me $65/mo after taxes for the one line, 2gig data, unlimited everything else.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:01 AM   #26
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Well that didn't take long. Called Verizon. I can stay in my same plan. Delivery date of 10/3 for my new 6, 128g.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #27
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Bob, did you do the payment/lease thing or pay for the phone straight up?
And if it's okay to ask, how much was it before and after your trade-in?
I'm still flopping around about it. I got the dimensions from apple's website and made a couple cardboard cutouts so me and the kid could compare the new phones to our current ones. The 6 plus is HUGE. The 6 isn't all that much bigger, but it's still a nice upgrade.
I want to check these out in person, and I want to see if the bigger screen helps my "can't see my phone anymore" issue.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:52 AM   #28
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

I'm doing the trade in ($200 appraisal). New phone is $399 with the new 2 year agreement. So $250ish after upgrade fee (they wouldn't waive) and tax overall.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:10 AM   #29
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

and so it begins.....

Covent Gardens

1000s line up in Hong Kong at one store

5th Avenue

Some mall in the middle of Podunk

AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:14 AM   #30
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
I'm doing the trade in ($200 appraisal). New phone is $399 with the new 2 year agreement. So $250ish after upgrade fee (they wouldn't waive) and tax overall.
That's not bad at all, Bob. Your phone was a 5?
That upgrade fee is bullsh1t. Leave it to Verizon.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:15 AM   #31
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

This is the line 5 NYC blocks away from the apple store and still going....

AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #32
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Does your carrier have a Family Share plan?
We have 4 phones, 3 with data, share 10GB (which is way more than enough) and my bill is under $160 now whereas it used to be $230ish.
The 3rd phone could share data as well if my brother would pony up for a smartphone.
All 3 iphones have the personal hotspot enabled, unlimited pics and text and long distance.
It's not a bad deal, and there are even better out there.
I think Sprint has a $100 20GB share plan, and they have an unlimited plan, too. I was looking it over the other day and looked careful enough to find out it was for the "first year". Rates weren't posted for the second year of the 2-year plan. And their deals on phones were pretty bad, but if you brought your smartphones over and just bought your own phones as necessary, it might be a decent deal. Just be careful with them.
I saw on tv that Walmart has a $34 plan, I'm not sure what that was about, but I think it was data and all the fluff, per phone. That may be worth a look, too
Edit:
I checked the Walmart plan. It sucks.
Unlimited is 2.5GB at 3g speed, then 2g thereafter. Unlimited calling is between 2 phones. Phone A and phone B in the plan. So I could talk and text one person on my plan, then I'd have to pay for all texts to anyone else. (As best as I could understand the small type.)
That's just great. Walmart.
On Verizon, so sure we do... Will have my wife go figure it out, see if she can get us hooked up.
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #33
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

I went this morning at the Verizon store, no preorder, got a 6 plus. Traded in my iPhone 5 for $200. Apparently the trade in system was down, sales guy walks out with $200 gift card and used it towards the new phone. I was in and out in about an hour.

6 plus is huge. Something to get used to. But the screen is fantastic and using panoramic mode is like using an ipad.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #34
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Have The 5 & It Works Fine, So I'm OK. Enjoy, Though!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:21 PM   #35
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

A friend of mine showed me his "smaller" 6 today. Looked very nice. Light, too. He did the Verizon trade-in with the 64GB upgrade. These phones are getting so big. I remember when a phone in your pocket was the size of a thick money clip. I have a 4s with a minimal case and I feel like I have pocket full. I can't imagine what the bigger 6 would be like in my pocket.

Congrats, Peter!
Old 09-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #36
big pete
Going to the darkside....

Trading: (20)
PL
big pete will become famous soon enoughbig pete will become famous soon enough

Got mine and my wife's 6 Plus in the mail today. No way in hell I'd wait in any of those crazy lines.

So much area with a 6 Plus (coming from a 4S). My eyes are still getting used to it. Also tested it in my pocket and it's not too bad.
big pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:53 PM   #37
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
That's not bad at all, Bob. Your phone was a 5?
That upgrade fee is bullsh1t. Leave it to Verizon.
Yea, regular 5, 32gig. And yep, not like they're not making enough cash, to charge you to upgrade.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:18 PM   #38
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

I went to the Several Apple Stores yesterday. The+ is by far the biggest seller. Not to mention the insane line. Today I went back and they were sold out. Went to Best Buy too, same story.

Sold out across carriers.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #39
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

On another note, the new iphones are slippery in that they can easily slip out of your hands. Get a case because the reviews that I've watched have shown unprotected screens shattering. YMMV
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:18 PM   #40
Shaneg
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Shane
Trading: (2)
Partagas
Shaneg is on a distinguished road

200$ for a trade in is super appealing
Shaneg is offline   Reply With Quote