Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-21-2009, 12:18 PM   #61
Hardcz

Default Re: Silound's Dog-Rocket Review Challenge!

mmmhmmm... did number 4 today...got thrown out of the place I was smoking it.....
Old 01-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #62
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Awww come on! What the hell happened? That story sounds as good as the review might be :P
Old 01-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #63
totallytentative

LOL thanks for the well written, entertaining reviews of your experiences (SO FAR! ) borndead1 and Hardcz.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #64
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

As of Sunday 01/25/2009 its:

Borndead1 - 5 dog rockets

Hardcz - 4 dog rockets

The big question is, will they both make it past "cigar #8?" Stay tuned folks

Old 01-25-2009, 10:27 AM   #65
Hardcz

lol...I DUNNO!!!
Old 01-25-2009, 12:51 PM   #66
Hardcz

Here's number 4!

Overall Appearance and presentation 60%
Lighting and burning properties 60%
Construction properties 70%
Taste properties 68.6%

This cigar is giving a pepper flavor in my mouth, slightly sweet on the nose exhale, leaving your mouth full of pepper on the finish with a light tobacco *leather* flavor.
Describe any changes in body or flavor:
As the cigar progresses to the first third it's developing a bitter harsh flavor to it, reminds me of what a marker might taste like.
It continues to gain in strength, both in the spice and the bitter departments. At first this was going to be a good smoke, though I'm seeing why this has been labeled a rocket…
As the pepper builds this cigar develops a spicey tone that will burn the tip of your tongue off…. Not a pleasant experience.
Comments: The ash hangs on a while, though I don't trust it. The burn is somewhat even, though will tunnel slightly then correct itself, required no touch ups though wasn't even the whole smoke either.
I was thrown out of the Coney Island… called ahead asking if they still allowed cigar smoking..they said yes… that's why I went there…. Then found out after I finished my meal, drinking bad coffee and writing this review that it wasn't…..
So anyways I finished this cigar in my truck. It continued to become more bitter and spicy, making my tongue burn with each draw. I didn't nub this by any means, though smoked the whole thing… it was pretty bad.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:35 PM   #67
Hardcz

Lighting up number 5. Don't have the camera today. It's roughly 6.5 inches long, thinner rg, maybe 44? The cigar has a fresh and sweet tobacco smell to it. Predraw is giving a grass flavor. Drink today is a Powers Barstool Brand Rootbeer, made with Michigan Sugar!

Initial flavor sucks.... This can't be good. It tastes like how you'd imagine the black charred part of a stick in the camp fire would taste. My bitter sensors are going crazy.

Quarter inch in, my mouth is developing a burn on the roof and on a few parts of the tongue. Surprisingly this is smooth on the exhale, the flavors are of a sour and leather mix, with the spice burning the tip of my tongue and a few other parts of my mouth. It leaves an unpleasant flavor in your mouth that I'm trying to figure out.

Over an inch in, the burning is continuing to grow in my mouth, the bitter is powerful leaving sour afternotes, my mouth is watering and asking me what it ever did to me.

The cigar stays spicy, and bitter, it's leaving a slight pepper in the aftertaste.... at least the sour notes have faded away....

As the cigar finishes, it is very bitter, super spicy, just burning the hll out of my mouth. Better than the last few but not good in the slightest.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:28 PM   #68
Hardcz

#6...

This cigar has a cedar wrapper, looks pretty decent wrapper wise.... light tobacco smell to it.

When lighting it, it's decent, smooth, especially on the exhale. It has a strange flavor in your
mouth, something almost like a weak chemical flavor....

The cigar continues to grow in the chemical flavor... I have to take back my word... this cigar is terrible...
if you could smoke it through your nose it'd be great... nose exhale has a mild tobacco flavor, though the chemical
taste is just something I'm having a hard time getting over.

Construction and Ash are average, flavor is disgusting...

It's a tangy zing on your tongue kind of flavor... I'm not going to nub this thing....

I will say it gives off a huge amount of smoke that is very smooth, I love this about the cigar.
The nose exhale is mild tobacco "leather" and pleasant, something that's about average flavor.

In the mouth however, it's like I'm licking a marker. Brother I don't know WTF this was but throw them away.

Pictures to be posted later...
Old 01-29-2009, 12:20 AM   #69
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Bolivar

*snickers softly*
Old 01-29-2009, 05:13 AM   #70
Hardcz

Smoked number 7 yesterday too... why? Because I hate myself?

dare I say lancero?

stick smells good, like tobacco.

Taste is mild leather with light spice. This cigar is pretty good...doubt I'll change this view...

smooth smoke, lingering aftertaste of the spice that's tingling the tip of my tongue and lips, this is a pleasant smoke.

The flavor profile of a light leather / tobacco, with spice that gets stronger as the stick burns, leaving a smoldering burn. There is nothing special about this cigar that I enjoyed particularly. The nose exhale was excellent emphasizing the above flavors and hinting at a toasted something or another, did not burn my nose, just my lips and tongue. This was a pleasant burn, nothing too strong. Aftertaste was that of licking a cigar wrapper, not too good, not too bad.

Silound, honestly I wouldn't say this one is a dog rocket. I might be inclined to buy one from time to time if the price point was low, though would not have a problem smoking it again.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:26 AM   #71
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

Aww man, Dan is ahead of me now? UGH...guess I better start smoking these damn things.
borndead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:39 AM   #72
Hardcz

Quote:
Originally Posted by borndead1 View Post
Aww man, Dan is ahead of me now? UGH...guess I better start smoking these damn things.
Whatever.... not like I smoke 3-4 cigars a day and choose not to do these because I'm being lazy

Less slack, more reviews!
Old 01-29-2009, 11:56 AM   #73
teotides

WOW!
I found this thread late last night and couldn't stop reading and laughing!
Thanks guys for torturing yourselves so we might all get a laugh Your new headlines should read "true masochists"
Old 01-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #74
Hardcz

you wanna try some teotides?
Old 01-29-2009, 12:35 PM   #75
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcz View Post
you wanna try some teotides?
Dan, sounds like he may want some cremosas in the mail.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:37 PM   #76
Hardcz

Yar I do have some... PM me your addy
Old 01-29-2009, 05:36 PM   #77
Hardcz

So I'm starting stick 8.. I brought a hoyo des dieux to compare flavors

To start, this stick is rolled tight, has a veiny wrapper. Prelight draw is a sweet leather, something refreshing tasting.

Did I mention this thing was tighter than a vir*** on prom night?

Initial thoughts, it's got a little bit of non pleasant spice hitting between the tip and middle tongue. Also it's giving a flavor of spoiled tobacco. This smoke is very smooth though, no harshness to be found. Too bad it has no good flavors to it.

The band is starting to unravel from the foot, though the cigar is spongy and has been kept at 67% RH I feel like I'm trying to suck a triple thick shake through a straw... just not working...

I gave this cigar another 20 minutes till my jaw hurt. my tongue is burning from the spice and I have a rather unpleasant flavor in it. I'm actually interested in trying a second that hopefully wouldn't be plugged... interested in a trade Silound?

WAIT.... NEVER MIND!!!! I forgot I have 8 more of these to go.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:03 AM   #78
Hardcz

No. 9.

No pics, smoked in the truck while doing errands...

The wrapper is very smooth and looks well put together. Feels a little tight, no real smell to the cigar. It has a taste of hay on the prelight draw. The cut was good.

Upon lighting up the hay was gone. I received a blast of harsh spice and tobacco. The nose exhale surprisingly worked...or maybe I'm just burning my nose all with these dog rockets? Anyways as the cigar progressed it had a flavor change, it took on the taste of burnt grilled vegetables...

To put an idea on this flavor, get a green pepper, go out to your grill, and leave it on there till it turns black. Eat that black stuff. That is what this cigar tasted like. I set it down about half way to mail a few boxes, came back and it was still smoldering, I just did a little touch up and it was good to go. Roughly 1/3 left and I pitched it to the gutter gods. After this I smoked a partagas lonesdale and oliva o classic maduro. Really puts a perspective on what you're missing and gaining on purchasing quality smokes.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #79
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Bolivar

Cumon Mark, you're slacking! Dan's gotten you beat by like 5 cigars!

Dan....only 7 more left to smoke!

Oh yeah guys, I forgot. I may have come across another nasty crap stick in my travels, and I think this one tastes worse than any of the others. You guys interested in a 17th stick?
Old 02-04-2009, 05:05 AM   #80
Hardcz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silound View Post
Oh yeah guys, I forgot. I may have come across another nasty crap stick in my travels, and I think this one tastes worse than any of the others. You guys interested in a 17th stick?
My stomach just turned and made a groaning sound...... I'll give it a go.... Have you smoked a cremosa?