Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2009, 02:41 PM   #81
bazookajoe

First Name: david
Trading: (72)
bazookajoe has disabled reputation
Default Re: Buying a new laptop- Apple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post
No no no.

Comfort of a stable OS in comparison to a Linux distro that you have to tweak to your needs. I find no issue with Windows as a stable OS, but I keep my Windows OS Stable.

I love Windows and I use it often. But for the sake of the tools I need to accomplish my scholastic tasks on campus or at home. The Mac OS X provides a more stable experience to what I would have to do to Linux to make it run similar tasks.

For everything else, I use a PC, though lately I find it annoying to sit at my desk, so I often just sit on my couch with the Mac. I wouldn't call that biased, because if the laptop ran Windows, I'd use it too. I just like the couch
I know. I didn't mean to imply that you were endorsing my opinion (or that I was explaining yours) - I just like the phrase.
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:38 PM   #82
Titan410
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Vince
Trading: (26)
Titan410 is on a distinguished road

Old 12-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #83
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357
...BTW...resistance is futile you will all be assimilated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazookajoe View Post
In the overall scheme of things Mac users barely show up on the radar. Why do Windows users care so much about us?
Well, I had to include that line to make sure you guys know that my Windows/Mac rants have to be taken as 50% technical and 50% sarcasm. In reality Microsoft dumped money into Apple years ago to keep them afloat. I assume he did so to prevent the SEC from filing anti-trust litigation.

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1001-202143.html

For this reason if no other, Apple will be around as long as Microsoft is. While I don't worry myself with Apple users, I occasionally have the misfortune of informing them that the $4,000 iBook they just bought isn't supported for many of our business needs. Big wig doctors in large regional medical groups don't tend to take that kind of news well. Especially when the app they need most (financial) is one of the ones they can't use.

Mike
Old 12-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #84
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Well, I had to include that line to make sure you guys know that my Windows/Mac rants have to be taken as 50% technical and 50% sarcasm. In reality Microsoft dumped money into Apple years ago to keep them afloat. I assume he did so to prevent the SEC from filing anti-trust litigation.

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1001-202143.html

For this reason if no other, Apple will be around as long as Microsoft is. While I don't worry myself with Apple users, I occasionally have the misfortune of informing them that the $4,000 iBook they just bought isn't supported for many of our business needs. Big wig doctors in large regional medical groups don't tend to take that kind of news well. Especially when the app they need most (financial) is one of the ones they can't use.

Mike
4000$ iBook?

Is this 2005? And since when did an iBook cost 4000$?
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #85
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

Last time I looked( which was 30 min ago) Macbooks Started at 1000 dollars and only run up to 2500 dollars.
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:00 PM   #86
dragon0708

Macs are suppose to be more user friendly compared to PCs. I have always used owned PCs, but I have supported users with Macs and they seem to be easier to configure and use.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:02 PM   #87
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonlady View Post
Last time I looked( which was 30 min ago) Macbooks Started at 1000 dollars and only run up to 2500 dollars.
That's correct if you don't add any options, or pick something that isn't on the higher end. You can easily make the macbook pro 17in over $4,000 with options.

Regardless Windows or Apple I wouldn't spend that much on any laptop. Price isn't really a big issue to me. I will pay to be happy with my laptop and not have headaches because of it.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:06 PM   #88
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

ever check out the Asus?

It'll knock out whatever you need for 1100
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:57 AM   #89
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX2010 View Post
ever check out the Asus?

It'll knock out whatever you need for 1100
I have.. You have a good point. I'll look into it more. Thanks
Old 12-18-2009, 08:09 AM   #90
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
That's correct if you don't add any options, or pick something that isn't on the higher end. You can easily make the macbook pro 17in over $4,000 with options.

Regardless Windows or Apple I wouldn't spend that much on any laptop. Price isn't really a big issue to me. I will pay to be happy with my laptop and not have headaches because of it.
don't do any upgrades you can avoid with Apple. If you want more RAM or bigger HDD, do it yourself.... will save a lot of money. Not too many other options you should need.

If you want portable, the 13'' is a nice size, 15" starts to get a little big to be taking around and fitting on a desk in classes (at least for me it was)

Just thought I'd throw that out there as I too had concerns about 13" being too small, but its really a nice size actually.

I always chuckle a little when people have their big ass 17" older-gen MBPs that barely fit on a desk
Old 12-18-2009, 08:59 AM   #91
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaKaacH View Post
I'm not a hater. I just can't justify spending twice as much on a Mac to solve problems I have never encountered with a PC.

That sums me up perfectly. I just recently bought a new laptop, thanks Andrew , and I said all along that I was going to get an Apple as my next purchase. Why? Because I heard nothing but good things from people that own them and it just seemed like the right thing to do. But I couldn't force myself to pay twice as much for a comparable machine especially when I've never had any of these problems that I hear so much about. Plus, I'm no geek so as long as I can do what I want with no problems, I ain't out to impress anyone.

So I bought another Toshiba. My last one was great, this one is incredible, and I took the rest of the money that I would have spent on the Mac and bought some crack.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:00 AM   #92
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
don't do any upgrades you can avoid with Apple. If you want more RAM or bigger HDD, do it yourself.... will save a lot of money. Not too many other options you should need.

If you want portable, the 13'' is a nice size, 15" starts to get a little big to be taking around and fitting on a desk in classes (at least for me it was)

Just thought I'd throw that out there as I too had concerns about 13" being too small, but its really a nice size actually.

I always chuckle a little when people have their big ass 17" older-gen MBPs that barely fit on a desk
13" works fine for me.
If it was up to my wife, she would rather go smaller.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:09 AM   #93
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post
4000$ iBook?

Is this 2005? And since when did an iBook cost 4000$?
The macbook pro can easily go over 4k on apples site since they overcharge for parts. King James nailed it, do it yourself and save a ton of money.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:17 AM   #94
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/...co=MTM3NDcyOTc

Pick your options...17" MacBook Pro start at $2500 and without adding any major software you can easily put them in the $3500-$4000 range.

My point was said doctor was a big shot and wanted the best. He bought the top of the line Apple laptop for about $4000. He brought it to work and expected corporate IT to "make it work" with all of our business applications. He was lucky to get the basics to work. No Citrix (most of the hospital's apps are delivered this way), no VPN, no financial apps = one pissed off doctor. It was his own fault but we had to have a $150K/year security guy waste a ton of his time just to see if he could find a work around for VPN access. The rest they threw at us.

In the business world they are a giant waste of time and money. Personal use we can debate to the end of time. That said, the old Amiga and Atari PCs still have a niche following too.

The bottom line is they overcharge for their hardware. Back in the days where you could only run their OS on their proprietary hardware if you wanted their OS, you didn't have any other option. Now you can run their OS (if you like it so much) and buy (non-Apple) name brand hardware for 1/2 the price and pop in the OS X disk.

Mike
Old 12-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #95
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
http://store.apple.com/us/configure/...co=MTM3NDcyOTc
He was lucky to get the basics to work. No Citrix (most of the hospital's apps are delivered this way), no VPN, no financial apps = one pissed off doctor. It was his own fault but we had to have a $150K/year security guy waste a ton of his time just to see if he could find a work around for VPN access. The rest they threw at us.
We have quite a few Mac users that are able to VPN and use VNC.
I couldn't justify the extra cost of a Mac, although I did consider it.
If I were upgrading on my own terms, rather than replacing a laptop whose motherboard had gane bad, I may have bought a Mac.
$600 versus $2000 made a huge difference. The 13" is just too small for me.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #96
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
In the business world they are a giant waste of time and money. Personal use we can debate to the end of time. That said, the old Amiga and Atari PCs still have a niche following too.

"Th-th-the Amiga was v-v-very good to m-my walpaper! Haaa!"
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:35 PM   #97
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

i've used for a long time. I own a 15" macbook pro (work and portability) and a pc (home desktop). If my pc ever died, I would probably just use the mac, but if i had to buy another computer it would be a mac. There's no reason to choose a pc over a mac unless it's a money issue, which you said it wasn't. I've done every single thing on my mac that i could do on my pc, whether it was within the os x environment, or booting windows within it.
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:00 PM   #98
Will herf for food

VR

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/...co=MTM3NDcyODk
$1699 MacBook Pro:
15" screen
2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4.0 GB RAM
250 GB SATA Hard Drive 5400RPM
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Video Card = Specs not listed

OR

http://www.salescircular.com/mi/computer/laptpp.shtml (@ Office Max)
$449 Toshiba Satellite L505-S5998
15.6-in. Widescreen
Intel Pentium T4300 processor (2 Cores @ 2.1 GHz)
4.0 GB RAM
320GB SATA Hard Drive 5400RPM
LabelFlash DVD +-RW drive
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M
802.11B/G/N WLAN.
Webcam, Microphone.
Windows 7 Home Premium

+

$102.50 Mac OS X 10.5
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mac-Leopard-OS-X...item2ea9eaf2be

Total = $551.50 vs $1699
Old 12-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #99
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

you get what you pay for.
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:24 PM   #100
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Hey Mike - what do you think of Apple computers?