Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

View Poll Results: Should Pete Rose be in the Hall of Fame?
Rose should be in the Hall. 62 65.26%
Rose should not be in the Hall. 20 21.05%
Depends (discuss below). 7 7.37%
I could care less. 6 6.32%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2009, 03:52 AM   #21
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation
Default Re: Pete Rose, 20 years later...HOF or not?

I said no. The fact that "others" have done the same/worse things is not a defense or excuse. He was well beyond the age of knowing what is right and wrong. He chose to break the rules, got caught, and got a punishment. I'd have some respect for him if he cowboy'ed up, went public, said he did it and accepted the punishment like a man.

I'm pretty much a black and white type person. Not saying I don't do wrong but when I do I take what ever comes. Nobody forces me to do "bad" things, momma didn't beat me, I didn't grow up in a "depressed" area, etc. A little personal responsibility and courage would go a long ways in today's society. If he really wants to be a "hero" or an example" - go on tour, tell the kids he screwed up, show respect and responsibility to the game and rules. That being a thug or rule breaker does have consequences.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:39 AM   #22
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

I also voted no. Gambling is the one area that is unforgivable especially when you are betting on a game in which you are managing one of the teams. It is too easy to fix a game and destroy the credibility that Major League Baseball has worked hard to earn. If Joe Jackson is still banned while there is testimony that he was not involved in the Black Sox Scandal, I can see no credible reason to reverse Rose's ban. Maybe I would agree with the Old Timers Committee voting for his admission after his death so that he could never market himself as a Hall of Famer.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:00 AM   #23
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Put Pete in!
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:36 AM   #24
shvictor
Instigator

First Name: Steve
Trading: (40)
Partagas
shvictor is a jewel in the roughshvictor is a jewel in the roughshvictor is a jewel in the roughshvictor is a jewel in the rough

As long as he never bet against his own team, he should be in.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:46 AM   #25
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

SeanGAR has disabled reputation

Do you get into the HOF for playing achievements or for helping little old ladies cross the road?

Rose, a switch hitter, is the all-time Major League leader in hits (4,256), games played (3,562), at-bats (14,053)[1], and outs (10,328). He won three World Series rings, three batting titles, one Most Valuable Player Award, two Gold Gloves, the Rookie of the Year Award, and made 17 All-Star appearances at an unequaled five different positions (2B, LF, RF, 3B, and 1B).

He didn't fix games, he bet his team would win. According to the Dowd Report itself, "no evidence was discovered that Rose bet against the Reds."

He bet his team would win and he is being placed in with people who knowingly threw games for profit? That's ridiculous.

Rose lied about his gambling for years ... that is the real problem I see here. If he came out at the beginning and admitted he bet that his teams would win ... I can't see giving him a lifetime ban for that.

On February 4, 1991, the Hall of Fame voted to formally exclude individuals on the permanently ineligible list from being inducted into the Hall of Fame by way of the Baseball Writers Association of America vote. AFTER THE FACT.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:47 AM   #26
vankleekkw
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Kris
Bolivar
vankleekkw is on a distinguished road

While betting in sports is against the rules, look at the facts.

1. He did it when he was a Manager and not a player. Ban the Manager Pete, but not the player Pete
2. He always bet that his team would win.

As a side note, if the ban is lifted, the ban on Shoeless Joe needs to be lifted as well.
vankleekkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:48 AM   #27
vankleekkw
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Kris
Bolivar
vankleekkw is on a distinguished road

Oh, and to allow Manny Rameriz back into the sport with open arms after taking Steroids is a shot in everyones face. This sport is starting to get another black eye.
vankleekkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:09 AM   #28
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

They need to let him in.. He is a better player then a lot of guys already in.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:26 AM   #29
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

He gambled, so what...he didn't fix any games and it doesn't make his astounding accomplishments any less...he is one of the greatest players of all times and needs to be in!
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:37 AM   #30
krash
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Bob
Navy (Served With Honor)
krash is on a distinguished road

I voted "It depends". If the other HOF members are OK with him in, let him in. If they don't, he stays out. Pete Rose was a great baseball player. I don't think anyone would disagree with that statement. But, there are other qualifying factors to get into the HOF. I think Bud Selig should lift the ban, and let the voters decide if he should be admitted. Until Selig lifts the ban, nothing is going to happen.
krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:17 AM   #31
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

If he would have admitted to betting on his team immediately would this even be a question? Or is it just because he denied it?

He clearly has the numbers to put in his own wing in the Hall of Fame. Not sure another player can rival the numbers he put up or the passion with which he played the game.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:29 AM   #32
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
I also voted no. Gambling is the one area that is unforgivable especially when you are betting on a game in which you are managing one of the teams. It is too easy to fix a game and destroy the credibility that Major League Baseball has worked hard to earn. If Joe Jackson is still banned while there is testimony that he was not involved in the Black Sox Scandal, I can see no credible reason to reverse Rose's ban. Maybe I would agree with the Old Timers Committee voting for his admission after his death so that he could never market himself as a Hall of Famer.

Pete bet on his team to win.
He ain't the Black Sox.
He is a liar though. A bad one, too. And he ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer.
But it's the Hall of Fame, we're not putting him up for sainthood.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:47 AM   #33
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

I voted no. Gambling has no place in baseball. I genuinely doubt he'll ever get in.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:48 AM   #34
Clampdown
I Cut Like a Buffalo

First Name: Brian
Trading: (12)
RA
Clampdown will become famous soon enough

If Ty Cobb is allowed in, why not Pete?
Clampdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:54 AM   #35
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Pete bet on his team to win.
He ain't the Black Sox.
He is a liar though. A bad one, too. And he ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer.
But it's the Hall of Fame, we're not putting him up for sainthood.
Scott, if I can politely disagree. The HOF is that, the place where people who are the above average people. The ones who had careers that shined for many reasons. He is not IMO. It is to me more than a place of stats. Who were the best that did the most for their sport? Staying with only Pete Rose, he did not.

At best - there will have to be a lot of agreeing to disagree on this man.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:07 AM   #36
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnukfu View Post
And if they let even one of the known steroid users in then there is absolutely no excuse to keep him out.
Bingo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanGAR View Post

He bet his team would win and he is being placed in with people who knowingly threw games for profit? That's ridiculous.
Bingo.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:09 AM   #37
Resipsa

For the guys who keep bringing up how good his stats were, I respectfully give u this to chew on.

Rose was not just a player, he was a manager. And as a manager he bet not only on baseball, but on the very team he was managing. Did he bet on them to win, or to lose? We don't know the answer to that ,question. The fCt that the Dowd report concluded there was no evidence of his betting on them to lose doesn't mean he didn't do it. And I'd be willing to bet there's a lot that we don't know about given Fay Vincents being so adamant about not wanting him in. Bottom line is the HOF has players, managers and broadcasters in it, it's not llimited to on field accomplishments as a player, it includes people for their OVERALL contributions to the sport. You can't seperate Rose the played from Rose the manager, and what he did as a manager is so reprehensible and so outside the pale that to me he doesn't belong there
Old 07-28-2009, 08:11 AM   #38
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
Scott, if I can politely disagree. The HOF is that, the place where people who are the above average people. The ones who had careers that shined for many reasons. He is not IMO. It is to me more than a place of stats. Who were the best that did the most for their sport? Staying with only Pete Rose, he did not.

At best - there will have to be a lot of agreeing to disagree on this man.
Babe Ruth was an alcoholic who threw women down the stairs regularly.
I won't even get started on Ty Cobb.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:17 AM   #39
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I disagree Vic....I think you would need to clean house in the HOF if being a good person is one of the requirements!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:22 AM   #40
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I disagree Vic....I think you would need to clean house in the HOF if being a good person is one of the requirements!
I respect where your coming from Tom. So……you support Simpsons being in Canton? After all, his crimes are completely unconnected to football