Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 09-17-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of
Default "Bob's and Huy's Blind testing"

Bob (Bobarian) handed me a blind fiver to review, he told me the only way I could smoke these was if I was to do a review, so here is stick number 1. All the smokes had triple caps on them. Bob being who he is, I asked him if they were all CC, he said no, but they have been aged for at least a year or more. Well here is my first cigar

Pre-smoke
Nice golden brown wrapper, with little veins and no oils. The smell of this cigar is very pleasant, smells of cocoa and cinnamon. Stick is very light in the hands. Took a bite off the triple cap and I was able to taste that little zing of spice on my tongue, taking a draw of this smoke... nice easy draw. Should be a fun smoke!

First/Third
Woahh, with my initial puff on this stick and I'm blown away by the immense flavor of sweetness and cocoa The nice easy draw is allowing me to really enjoy this cigar. This smoke is burning somewhat even, I might have to do a little touch up, we'll see. The draw on this cigar is just right, giving out the ample amount of smoke. The ash on this stick is very light gray, almost could say white. About 10 minutes into this cigar, the flavor has continued to remain very consistent the first third of this cigar.

Second/Third
The flavor of this cigar is really impressing me. It has slowly shifted towards a earthy tone, but still has that hint of sweet cocoa. The burn is still somewhat even, haven't had to do any touch ups. This cigar to me, would be more on the light to medium bodied smoke. Something that would be a great morning smoke (still morning for me)

Third
I'm enjoying this cigar to the freaking nub! This a good change of pace for me, I smoked a couple LFD last night, so this light smoke is just what the doctor (Bob) ordered. A-hole ash, just fell all over me. Back to the review, I have not notice a change of flavor on this stick other than the earthy tone.

Overall
I enjoyed this cigar very much, something I could see myself smoking again. This would be a great morning smoke for whoever. The flavors on the cigar was very consistent. Overall, I would say that the entire cigar was consistent, the draw, burn, and the ample amount of smoke was just right. I'm guessing this smoke is a Nicaragua smoke? Could be wrong but that's my guess. Thanks Bob for the smoke.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation
Default Re: Blind Review 1/5

Nice review and pics, Huy. Any guesses as to brand and blend? I will post the cigar after work when I find the list.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

I want to say it's a Pepin blend, I have a feeling that I have smoked this cigar before.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

What are the dimensions on this cigar? RG and length?

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:56 PM   #5
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

Guantanamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
What are the dimensions on this cigar? RG and length?
I say it's a toro. About 6'' with RG of 60, I believe.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda View Post
I say it's a toro.

It sounds like a good stick!

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Huy...loved the review brother!! Got me curious now too as to what you smoked.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:15 PM   #8
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

Guantanamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Huy...loved the review brother!! Got me curious now too as to what you smoked.
Me too bro... gotta wait for old timer Bob to get off work for us to find out.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #9
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

All five are approx 5"x50rg robustos.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #10
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

Guantanamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Shows how much I know... thanks Bob
Old 09-17-2009, 04:30 PM   #11
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

Quote:
That's why you ask your GF to measure!
Old 09-17-2009, 04:31 PM   #12
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Quote:
Want me to give you a paper ruler and one of those little tear out center sections with the ring gauges on it out the Thompsons catalog at the next herf?
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #13
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Nice Review and pics Huy. Sounds like a fun Blind Review.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #14
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

OK, I'm home. Pretty close on your tasting notes. I really like these cigars in this size and the lancero. I kind of think of them as a Camacho "Light". It is a Honduran puro, Padilla Series 68 Robusto. Pretty close!
Old 09-17-2009, 09:35 PM   #15
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

Guantanamera

Quote:
OK, I'm home. Pretty close on your tasting notes. I really like these cigars in this size and the lancero. I kind of think of them as a Camacho "Light". It is a Honduran puro, Padilla Series 68 Robusto. Pretty close!
It's a 68? Haha I was just telling Mike how much I did not enjoy the 68 the other week! Maybe the previous one I had was a dud because this one was awesome. Okay review on cigar #2 will come out tomorrow.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #16
theonlybear4CORT
RIP Nick Montano

First Name: Mike
Trading: (14)
theonlybear4CORT has disabled reputation

Hahaha the 68! glad you enjoyed the smoke,I look forward to reading your blind reviews.
theonlybear4CORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:56 PM   #17
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

I think you will be quite surprised at what you can pick up in a blind tasting. I have done many(probably 50) and I learn something from every stick I smoke. This one is pretty easy because I already eliminated 90% of my sticks by telling your there were no CC's in the mix.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:36 AM   #18
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: "Bob's and Huy's Blind testing"

I love blind taste tests. as Bobarian said you learn so much!
Old 09-18-2009, 02:15 PM   #19
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

Guantanamera

Pre-light

This cigar is one ugly motha. I think this might be one of the darkest wrappers I've smoked in awhile besides from the Camacho TM. This might even be an oscuro wrapper. After just looking at the cigar some more, it looks as if the first half of the wrapper is almost black and the 2nd half of the cigar is a dark brown, change of color. Took a bite off the cap and automatically I can pick up an hay like taste.

First/Third

Awww this is nice. With the first few puffs on this cigar, I can taste the sweet coffee notes with a hint of peppers. The draw on this cigar is flawless, giving out the right amount of smoke. About an inch and half into this stick, the burn is very even, very appealing to look at ( I hate it when my cigars run on me). I'm starting to get that sweet maduro taste hitting the palate just right, yummy. The flavors on this cigar has remained pretty consistent so far... let's see what happens next!

Second/Third

The finish on this cigar is very short which isn't bad. Mean while, the sweet maduro taste is still the prominent flavor, I am able to get a hint of cedar to this cigar. I was sure this was going to be a spice kick cigar, but it hasn't kicked in yet... maybe it won't, either way this cigar is an awesome smoke and I'm enjoying it. With the 2/3 coming to an end, I'm able to pick up on some new flavors...

Third

I'm beginging to pick up on some woody notes but with a hint of white peppers. Throughout the entire cigar, the burn on this cigar has been flawless. Bob said that he doesn't think I've had this cigar before, but I think I might have... With about an inch left on this stick, the taste of cedar and white peppers are still prominent through out this last third.

Conclusion

Never judge a cigar by it's wrapper. As I stated, this cigar was one ugly motha... this cigar might have been ugly but it was a hell of a cigar. With a few inches left, I stood up and I felt it kicking in. I would classify this cigar as medium plus. So my guess as to what this cigar is, I would say it's something Ecuadorian, maybe even Honduran, maybe a La Gloria or Camacho? Either way, it was a great smoke for me.

Cigar #3 will have to wait till maybe Monday, I have a busy weekend ahead of me. Thank you to those that are reading these, and big thanks to Bob for this opportunity to do this.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:23 PM   #20
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Ooh- I think I might know what that one was, just by givin' it the stink-eye.