Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2020, 03:34 PM   #1
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation
Default Kitchen Remodel

We’re planning on a kitchen remodel hopefully sometime next year and would like appliance advise from people. Pretty sure I’m keeping my current side by side fridgeidare as long as it lasts.

I know high end appliances won’t make me a better cook too. I was looking at a Bosch induction range and Bosch dish washer; opinions and experiences are welcome.

The Bosch dishwasher mainly from what I have read is one of the quietest around and does a good job of cleaning.

I would like a slide in range/oven if anyone has recommendations.

Not sure what to look for in an overhead exhaust either.

I would like to stay with electric, which is what I currently have, as I don’t think my current gas feed can handle the furnace and water heater all at once without significant upgrade to the feed line. That was according to the plumber that installed my on demand water heater.
Old 09-19-2020, 03:55 PM   #2
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Default Re: Kitchen Remodel

By the way that Bosch price tag is a big turn off.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:01 PM   #3
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

I used to work for Bosch so I’m biased. But, Consumer Reports will tell you their dishwasher cleans very well. If you don’t buy Bosch, buy something that’s very quiet. Having a quiet dishwasher is something that you don’t fully value until you suddenly don’t hear it anymore.

I have no experience with Bosch or any other induction range. Remember that not all pans will heat on them.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:11 AM   #4
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Bought a GE dishwasher, died in less than 2 yrs. Have the top Bosch now and love it. Don't buy it at big box and wait for sales. Ours was way less than HD, Lowe's price and not much more than the 800 series cost. I'd buy again or the 800. 800 was a two month wait.

Also recently bought a GE profile counter depth fridge. Love it too. Replaced a Samsung, never again there.

Feel the same with LG.

Gonna probably do GE for a new stove soon.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:02 PM   #5
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jason, how are you liking the GE profile? We are going with the café line, which I think is only a dolled up version of the the profile according to research. Wife likes it so it shall be done. This is the way

So I thought the hard part was picking the appliances boy was I wrong. Almost everywhere we went it was the same old “pre-fab custom” of you can have this but can’t have that type of experience. If we wanted something else we were looking at full custom prices basically out of our price range. So after all that with 4 designers and a bunch of quotes I think we found a local cabinet maker that will provide everything we want from cabinet design, layout, quality and color

Listening to a Chinese dude poopoo on import, basically Chinese, quality cabinets was quite funny. Some of the “higher end” stuff that we looked at, also imported, he blasted. The layouts that were proposed to us and quoted for close to $20k he assumed we were going to pay about $8k. He gave me a are you f’in crazy look. He asked if that was before any discounts and when I said no discounts he gave me that pissed of old Chinese “bah” if you’ve seen it you know what I mean

Now just waiting for the contract from the contractor and a few design changes from the cabinet guy and I hope we are all set.

Now to make sure the sink and appliances will work with our layout.

What trips me out is that almost all the manufactures are just one brand of master cabinet with varying levels of quality.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:37 AM   #6
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Have a 15 year old Bosch dishwasher in the house. Will be replacing in the near future with another Bosch.

I do not envy what you are about to experience. I was stressed out constantly during the cigar lounge build. Can't imagine the anxiety of a kitchen remodel.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:40 AM   #7
retired
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: lenny
Trading: (0)
retired will become famous soon enough

Induction stovetops require special pots, pans etc
Also scratch easily and need a special cleaning solution for shine and stain removal (without scratching)
If you have young'uns in the house they have to be taught that the stovetop could be hot without seeing the red. I speak from experience about the hot lol
Old 12-06-2020, 06:17 PM   #8
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
Have a 15 year old Bosch dishwasher in the house. Will be replacing in the near future with another Bosch.

I do not envy what you are about to experience. I was stressed out constantly during the cigar lounge build. Can't imagine the anxiety of a kitchen remodel.
Wait!!’ You mean after all contracts, there’s still more stress?!?!

Oh I probably should ask here:

What was your additional “emergency” expense during your budgets?
Old 12-07-2020, 07:11 AM   #9
kydsid
Ditat Deus

kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
Jason, how are you liking the GE profile? We are going with the café line, which I think is only a dolled up version of the the profile according to research.
Love it. GE may now be Chinese (Haier) but this profile is built as well as any Profile appliance I've had over the last 20 years before Haier, if not better. Certainly better than the Samsung it replaced.

I am the one who hate fridges that stick out so I got that part in bargain with wife. But if we didn't have a garage fridge too, it would be an extra headache with the loss of space. But it does great at holding way more than I expected. We looked at the Cafe too. My wife decided it wasn't worth it. Oh and a lot of people complain the new GE's are loud. It's not whisper quiet. We have an open concept with 1st floor master. I can hear ice drop int he middle of the night, and occasionally hear it running a little louder than normal. But it's nothing even a moderate conversation isn't louder than.

Quote:
Wife likes it so it shall be done. This is the way
Old 12-07-2020, 03:21 PM   #10
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
Induction stovetops require special pots, pans etc
Also scratch easily and need a special cleaning solution for shine and stain removal (without scratching)
If you have young'uns in the house they have to be taught that the stovetop could be hot without seeing the red. I speak from experience about the hot lol
No kids but a clumsy wife. With that said I’ll probably be the one to scratch or crack the damn thing.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:30 PM   #11
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
Love it. GE may now be Chinese (Haier) but this profile is built as well as any Profile appliance I've had over the last 20 years before Haier, if not better. Certainly better than the Samsung it replaced.

I am the one who hate fridges that stick out so I got that part in bargain with wife. But if we didn't have a garage fridge too, it would be an extra headache with the loss of space. But it does great at holding way more than I expected. We looked at the Cafe too. My wife decided it wasn't worth it. Oh and a lot of people complain the new GE's are loud. It's not whisper quiet. We have an open concept with 1st floor master. I can hear ice drop int he middle of the night, and occasionally hear it running a little louder than normal. But it's nothing even a moderate conversation isn't louder than.

Thanks! I am the opposite I wanted a full size fridge she wants the counter depth. I complained that I couldn’t even fit a pizza box in there and she told me just to fold it in half. I countered with I’ll just eat the whole thing, she didn’t laugh. We do have a very small kitchen. And have a quiet fridgidair, at least to me, and I can totally hear the ice drop into the bin and I think I’ve gotten used to the noise it makes. The new fridge will be enclosed so I’m going to guess that might amplify the sound a bit.

Does yours have the dual evaporator? Did you notice any benefit from it, like frozen items or produce lasting longer?
Old 12-07-2020, 06:28 PM   #12
SSDVC
Life is short, Relax

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
SSDVC is on a distinguished road

So, we have just moved and are replacing some of the appliances in the new house, but I'll get to that in a minute. In the house we just moved from, we had to replace the dishwasher and the fridge. We bought the next to the top of the line Bosch for the dishwasher. Quiet is not the word for it. Standing next to the machine you could not hear it running (I am also over 60, but it was still really quiet). However, as far as cleaning goes, my wife constantly complained about it. We had a Kenmore for 15+ years and while not quiet, she cleaned very well. For the fridge, we purchased a Samsung and I'll rate that 3 out of 5. In 6 years of ownership I replaced the icemaker (fairly easy) and had to replace a drain line in the rear of the unit with a better designed, updated part.

OK, now to the present. We are researching double ovens and cooktop/rangetops. Since we plan to be here a while and my wife, in her retirement, has decided cooking and baking is now her "go to" hobby, we are looking for some middle to high end (lower end of the high end scale) appliances. During some research, I discovered that not all ovens are alike. I also discovered that just because you pay $5000 to $8000 for a top name oven, does not mean you are getting your monies worth. Power, convection types (I have discovered that their are 3 different types of convection), timers and even the racks all have to be considered. I know, it's a bit anal, but I have worked hard for what little money I have and I try and spend it wisely.

For the double oven, the front runner we think we have settled on is the Frigidaire FPET3077RF. It has very high reviews, decent reliability, very good power and the proper convection type for baking. I did read something about some timer shortfalls, so I am looking into that before we purchase.

We have propane for cooking and we are deciding if we want to cut the granite for a range top or just stick with the 36" drop in. That said, we went to a few appliance stores and saw some really cool electric/induction cooktops. Some of them were next generation and almost made my wife change how she views electric cooktops. These new induction units remained cool everywhere except directly under the pot/pan being used and instantly cooled off when the pot/pan was removed. Plus, on one, you could place the pot anywhere on the cooktop to use it. The whole top was one big cooking sensor. Very nice (also a bit on the expensive side, but still cool).

Anyway, I did a lot of looking, reading reviews visiting cooking sites and seeing what other folks had to say. Still not done researching, but close. Bosch is nice, but there are many other choices out there that may rate higher in different categories. Good luck with the remodel.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:32 PM   #13
SSDVC
Life is short, Relax

First Name: Scott
Partagas Navy (Retired)
SSDVC is on a distinguished road

Oh, I asked at several appliance stores and was told tat the new cooktops don't need the special pots to make more effective use of the energy. And they are also fairly scratch resistant now. We did live with a few older glass cook tops and yes, they did scratch fairly easily.
Old 12-10-2020, 01:28 PM   #14
kydsid
Ditat Deus

Quote:
Thanks! I am the opposite I wanted a full size fridge she wants the counter depth. I complained that I couldn’t even fit a pizza box in there and she told me just to fold it in half. I countered with I’ll just eat the whole thing, she didn’t laugh. We do have a very small kitchen. And have a quiet fridgidair, at least to me, and I can totally hear the ice drop into the bin and I think I’ve gotten used to the noise it makes. The new fridge will be enclosed so I’m going to guess that might amplify the sound a bit.

Does yours have the dual evaporator? Did you notice any benefit from it, like frozen items or produce lasting longer?
Certain pizza's fit in our counter depth. Not a Costco one of course But the medium boxes from most place actually fit.

I have no idea if it has a dual evap. It's next to top of the line so I guess it does. If it does it's because that was on the wife's list. All I can say is yes food lasts longer than the Samsung it replaced. But that could be age or technology.

Oh one other thing. A fridge with multiple LED lights is now a got to have. The lighting difference is amazing and actually helpful.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:16 AM   #15
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
Certain pizza's fit in our counter depth. Not a Costco one of course But the medium boxes from most place actually fit.

I have no idea if it has a dual evap. It's next to top of the line so I guess it does. If it does it's because that was on the wife's list. All I can say is yes food lasts longer than the Samsung it replaced. But that could be age or technology.

Oh one other thing. A fridge with multiple LED lights is now a got to have. The lighting difference is amazing and actually helpful.
Thanks Jason. I’m guessing we’re getting almost the same as you with the cafe line and counter depth and to save space interior water dispenser. We/she is going with the matte black for range and fridge ss black for the dishwasher. Stainles for the hood. I will admit that I do also like the black, the all stainless will match everything better and hold up longer. I explained all the downsides of black appliances to her and showed her links of how ss or even white will last the trends of time but she likes it. We even saw some black appliances in person and the first thing she was drawn too where the scratches . We’ll just be careful

Now, for a Christmas gift, I bought her the matching coffee maker too; she is now being swayed by the stainless look for everything

Agree with all the lighting too. I saw the, I think, the ge monogram with the full led back wall and was like . then the f me realization came and it would suck if that wall died.

I am still lured by the Bosch fridges now that they are made to their specs. And the dual compressor/evaporator. The sales person said that wait a few years for the kinks to get worked out they are made to specs but still made in China. I didn’t get a chance to confirm this but he said that people think that the Bosch being dual compressors is equal to their thermador or even Viking lines but they are not, the high end ones use equal duals while the Bosch uses a standard and a mini; not sure if that makes a real difference or not.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:30 AM   #16
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDVC View Post
So, we have just moved and are replacing some of the appliances in the new house, but I'll get to that in a minute. In the house we just moved from, we had to replace the dishwasher and the fridge. We bought the next to the top of the line Bosch for the dishwasher. Quiet is not the word for it. Standing next to the machine you could not hear it running (I am also over 60, but it was still really quiet). However, as far as cleaning goes, my wife constantly complained about it. We had a Kenmore for 15+ years and while not quiet, she cleaned very well. For the fridge, we purchased a Samsung and I'll rate that 3 out of 5. In 6 years of ownership I replaced the icemaker (fairly easy) and had to replace a drain line in the rear of the unit with a better designed, updated part.

OK, now to the present. We are researching double ovens and cooktop/rangetops. Since we plan to be here a while and my wife, in her retirement, has decided cooking and baking is now her "go to" hobby, we are looking for some middle to high end (lower end of the high end scale) appliances. During some research, I discovered that not all ovens are alike. I also discovered that just because you pay $5000 to $8000 for a top name oven, does not mean you are getting your monies worth. Power, convection types (I have discovered that their are 3 different types of convection), timers and even the racks all have to be considered. I know, it's a bit anal, but I have worked hard for what little money I have and I try and spend it wisely.

For the double oven, the front runner we think we have settled on is the Frigidaire FPET3077RF. It has very high reviews, decent reliability, very good power and the proper convection type for baking. I did read something about some timer shortfalls, so I am looking into that before we purchase.

We have propane for cooking and we are deciding if we want to cut the granite for a range top or just stick with the 36" drop in. That said, we went to a few appliance stores and saw some really cool electric/induction cooktops. Some of them were next generation and almost made my wife change how she views electric cooktops. These new induction units remained cool everywhere except directly under the pot/pan being used and instantly cooled off when the pot/pan was removed. Plus, on one, you could place the pot anywhere on the cooktop to use it. The whole top was one big cooking sensor. Very nice (also a bit on the expensive side, but still cool).

Anyway, I did a lot of looking, reading reviews visiting cooking sites and seeing what other folks had to say. Still not done researching, but close. Bosch is nice, but there are many other choices out there that may rate higher in different categories. Good luck with the remodel.

Thanks. We’ve settled on almost everything. I’ve come to the realization that all manufacturers, no matter how much you pay, will have some crappy stuff get through the assembly line. The original, from range to cabinetry, has lasted this home for over 40yrs with minimal maintenance (replaced a few cal rods here and there) the old saying, they don’t build them like they used too comes to mind.

Now tiles, backsplash and paint are on the next decide list.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:43 AM   #17
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Speaking of the “We’ll just be careful,” line. She is all excited about getting this project completed, i guess we can now see light at the end of the tunnel. She’s looking at cookware and dishes. I’ve reminded her on several occasions that we do have new dishware we just don’t have anything matching because she’s broken everything. And now she wants an apron/farmhouse style sink. I told her that it’s a deeper basin and she will break more dishes and mugs. I even bought a set of some french fru fru glasses that are supposed to be heat resistant, she likes pouring boiling water into glasses, guess how many I have left? Somehow she’s even broken a real PYREX, not Pyrex measuring glass. We have a semi new kitchen table, no glass, reminded her not to put hot things on the top, guess how many rings we have on thing?

C’est la vi

I love that woman
Old 12-13-2020, 12:46 PM   #18
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

From what I see, all the dishwashers suck. We have a Fisher & Paykel dual draw dishwasher. Super quiet, can wash a ton of dishes with two separate units, but always clogs and has cost us almost what it cost new in servicing over the years.

Was between the one we bought and a Bosch. Heard similar horror stories on Bosch...

Get the one that has the features and utility you need and don't go over board. I did and regret is a little. Certainly looks cool though!

Nice fridge is different; that is a showpiece of the kitchen.
Old 12-13-2020, 11:28 PM   #19
CEC_Tech
Old CS Gorilla

First Name: Armando
Trading: (5)
RyJ
CEC_Tech is on a distinguished road

All appliances we've had break in one way or another. I've gotten in the habit of making sure I know where to get replacement parts. For hood over the range, check out ExtremeAir products. They are a fraction of the cost of what you'll find for Hoods. We ordered online and I was pleasantly surprised. Pretty high quality for what you pay. Nowadays I'm all about going online to find good deals. Local just always seems overpriced.
CEC_Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:39 AM   #20
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
From what I see, all the dishwashers suck. We have a Fisher & Paykel dual draw dishwasher. Super quiet, can wash a ton of dishes with two separate units, but always clogs and has cost us almost what it cost new in servicing over the years.

Was between the one we bought and a Bosch. Heard similar horror stories on Bosch...

Get the one that has the features and utility you need and don't go over board. I did and regret is a little. Certainly looks cool though!

Nice fridge is different; that is a showpiece of the kitchen.

Thanks for the heads up. I will admit that I know absolutely nothing about dishwashers or even how to use one, I’ve been the dishwasher all my life. I don’t even recall seeing a dishwasher in use. Hell I don’t know squat about any appliance. I just went with the Bosch because from searches, it cleans well and is quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEC_Tech View Post
All appliances we've had break in one way or another. I've gotten in the habit of making sure I know where to get replacement parts. For hood over the range, check out ExtremeAir products. They are a fraction of the cost of what you'll find for Hoods. We ordered online and I was pleasantly surprised. Pretty high quality for what you pay. Nowadays I'm all about going online to find good deals. Local just always seems overpriced.
Thanks for the suggestion. We are going to look at Zeypher tomorrow and I think we’ve narrowed it down to: Best, Zeypher or the matching GE hood. Because of our small kitchen we are going with a 30” hood. My requirements were quiet yet effective (probably cannot match the two) baffle filters preferred and no touch screen, wife wants pretty . Sadly it seems that most in the 30” range don’t really fill those wants at least all together. So far the zeyphr has been the quietest from what we’ve heard, played with one at Best Buy but not the model that we wanted. Others have been really loud. Not too many places have working hoods to play with so this has been a tough search.