Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2011, 04:43 PM   #21
AlohaStyle
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (40)
AlohaStyle will become famous soon enough
Default Re: college major, advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvilchez View Post
Devan, with a poli sci degree I know of one place for sure you can get into and with your prior military experience it would be a plus...State Department.

Check out their career fields they have. I've worked breifly at many embassies and the Regional Security Officer (RSO) is one who needs a degree in whatever field but play along the border of politics and national security and the embassy. Good pay and benefits.

But again like many others stated, besides making money, think of something you would have fun working at/in. If not then a job is just a job and you'll find yourself switching careers for something else.

Good info to share... something not everyone knows about.

Along the same lines, I know someone who is a US Gov't Courier with the State Dept... I believe it's the State Dept. If you like to travel, it's a great job. But if you want to stay "home" close to family, stay far away. Basically it's the courier's job to deliver/monitor sensitive packages around the world. Could be shipments too in cargo planes etc. The guy I know got the job a few years ago and started being based in Germany, now lives just north of Bangkok.
AlohaStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:44 PM   #22
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaStyle View Post
Good info to share... something not everyone knows about.

Along the same lines, I know someone who is a US Gov't Courier with the State Dept... I believe it's the State Dept. If you like to travel, it's a great job. But if you want to stay "home" close to family, stay far away. Basically it's the courier's job to deliver/monitor sensitive packages around the world. Could be shipments too in cargo planes etc. The guy I know got the job a few years ago and started being based in Germany, now lives just north of Bangkok.
was actually looking into this career for awhile. Its hard to dig up info on.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #23
AlohaStyle
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devanmc View Post
It's also a pretty competitive job to get as there's not that many positions available, with a good amount of people wanting them.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #24
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation

Quote:
State Dept Careers

Though couriers and RSO are COMPLETELY different.

Couriers are literally ALWAYS on the go. RSO has dealings with the Ambassador on a daily basis.
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #25
AlohaStyle
Have My Own Room

Quote:
http://www.state.gov/m/ds/career/c8857.htm
Old 09-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #26
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

Its looking more like I am going to switch to Poli Sci.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:08 PM   #27
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Its looking more like I am going to switch to Poli Sci.
No Lifetime Career In The Military? I Would Talk To A College Counselor, Brother, At Some Point.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #28
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
No Lifetime Career In The Military? I Would Talk To A College Counselor, Brother, At Some Point.
i still want a degree, i can join the military with anything.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:42 PM   #29
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
i still want a degree, i can join the military with anything.
True, Definitely Get A Degree. College Guidance Counselors Are Available To You At No Charge.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:51 AM   #30
MariaDemur

Smile Re: college major, advice?

Hello. I am with you that you can focus on studying international relations, as well as politics. You can understand a lot about the government of the United States, as well as how everything is arranged. But do not forget that you will have to write a lot of essays, in which I help the professionals writing the essay - read more, who always write the essay for a delinquent evaluation and I can not worry. Thank you for your attention.

Last edited by icehog3; 06-30-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:11 AM   #31
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Oh Maria...
Posted via Mobile Device
massphatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:29 AM   #32
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

I'm late to the party but let me offer my wisdom as a career federal civil servant in 3 different departments, working law enforcement, science and general administration as an employee and supervisor/hiring official.

PoliSci will get you somewhere with a three letter LEO agency, maybe, and possibly with State. Mostly it isn't going to matter for the following.

If a degree is required, it flat out is and an announcement will say what degree and to what specifics. (Announcements for all jobs (excepted service aside, think CIA/NSA) are all on USAJobs.gov If it's a requirement it's a pass/fail bar. A hiring official won't know you exist if you fail, HR kicks you out of the pool. Otherwise a degree is a couple extra points on your total. Federal Hiring officials by and large and HR before they even get to that point are going to assign a point score based on your resume and supporting documents. Points are assigned for meeting job criteria, that the hiring official has some control over but HR has some too in how the position was classified.

What does that mean in a nut shell - Degrees mean little, but something.

What perhaps means more? Military service. There are several hiring authorities for vets only. And vets preferrence will almost ALWAYS get you more points than a degree. And military service will get you more experience. Caveat if you write your resume like **** and don't credit your own experience no one can give you points to get you to the top of the list.

What do I mean by that? Well I've scored HS only vets higher than MS holding college grads. I've also graded vets that I knew managed 40 or more people because their application was written for ****. And even though I knew the position and what they did in the military it didn't mean I could give them credit during the hiring process.

The federal hiring process is all about what can be proven before, during and after the process. If it isn't in the application package or gleaned from the interview (if you make it that far), it doesn't exist or matter. The result is no job offer.

So my advice is go for a degree in a field you like that might get you a job. I know many federal LEO's with Biology/Chemistry/ etc degree's. I would never advise anyone to seek a degree for a job unless they are looking into Medicine or Legal. Those in my experience are the only fields were its an absolute.

As for my best advice. Seek out a nearby Federal Employee or in agency interested as a mentor to help with hiring process or career paths in said agency. Seek out internships and alternate hiring programs. Seek out career fairs where target agencies are attending to talk to people from that agency.

Good luck.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:21 AM   #33
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

"late to the party", Jason? He could have a Master's by now!
Old 07-02-2018, 10:46 AM   #34
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
"late to the party", Jason? He could have a Master's by now!
lol didn't even notice .
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:09 AM   #35
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
So, What can be done with a bachelors or masters in political science? Opinions about this in general also
I have a Bachelors... Double major in Pol Sci and Philosophy. 2 Worthless majors IMO. If I were you, I would do computer science, cyber security, finance, or Asian language studies...

If you are looking for your college degree to open doors, Pol Sci is likely to open none.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:02 PM   #36
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I have a Bachelors... Double major in Pol Sci and Philosophy. 2 Worthless majors IMO. If I were you, I would do computer science, cyber security, finance, or Asian language studies...

If you are looking for your college degree to open doors, Pol Sci is likely to open none.
I have a Poli Sci degree, and I'm not on welfare.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:15 PM   #37
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I have a Poli Sci degree, and I'm not on welfare.
...and that Pol Sci degree was the single deciding factor in your employers' decisions to hire you.

Sadly, college today is a scam industry. Colleges and primary school teachers think nothing of the vocational intentions most are going to college for. They fail to mention if someone cares to learn about anything taught in college; every lecture and curriculum is available free online. The exclusive content and atmosphere they offer is no longer the case.

Encouraging young people to resolve themselves into a crappy financial position & assume debt so they'll have an illusion of degree that will open doors is a fraud. Most will drop out of school and get worst hand. Those that graduate get a job for pennies on the dollar on what they owe for the degree that had no direct impact on the employer's decision.

How many college grads are working the counter at Starbucks nationwide?
Old 07-03-2018, 12:55 PM   #38
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
...and that Pol Sci degree was the single deciding factor in your employers' decisions to hire you.
Nope. They want a 4 year degree, they don't care what field it's in. They're more concerned with character, communication skills and problem solving/decision making/conflict resolution skills than a college major.

That being said, I tried a couple other majors before Poli Sci, and was on academic probation and facing flunking out of college. Though Poli Sci is probably only relevant if your intention is to teach, it gave me something I was interested in and allowed me to excel rather than flunking out in business or computer courses. Graduated Cum Laude (phrasing!) after having a C/D average entering my third semester.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:47 PM   #39
mk05
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
mk05 will become famous soon enough

College is what you make of it. In a liberal arts college, the idea is to teach you how to think, which is a defined skill in itself. Generally, I think these people benefit most from further education that focuses into specialized fields (graduate school).

For those who do not wish to spend extra years/$ for further education, my advice would be to attend a university instead, and major in a field of study through one of the colleges.
mk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:05 PM   #40
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk05 View Post
College is what you make of it. In a liberal arts college, the idea is to teach you how to think, which is a defined skill in itself. Generally, I think these people benefit most from further education that focuses into specialized fields (graduate school).

For those who do not wish to spend extra years/$ for further education, my advice would be to attend a university instead, and major in a field of study through one of the colleges.
The top rated Liberal Arts school in the US is Reed College in Portland. This school has produced more than its share of millionaire / billionaire venture capitalists and counts people like Steven Jobs among their former students. Their placement rate is almost 100%. Those who go on to computer science at my institution (Portland State University) are among the best prepared for graduate school. Some go on to the Sloan School at Harvard, etc. but not even one-third get a second degree as they are highly sought out with their undergraduate liberal arts degrees.

To some degree, it is the institution, but mostly it is the person who determines success.

Many millionaires are engineers and computer scientists but many more are not.

If you plan to get a degree, get it in an area you truly enjoy. Getting a CS degree just to make money is a sure way to unhappiness and also flunking out of school.
markem is offline   Reply With Quote