Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough
Default college major, advice?

So as everyone knows im in college

Anyways, so far ive been a business major(integrated supply management). The plan has always been to use my previous military experience and training to get a job on the civilian side of government or rejoin (army). My dad is trying to push me to get a political science degree instead. Saying I would do better on the intelligence side of things than in logistics.

So, What can be done with a bachelors or masters in political science? Opinions about this in general also
Old 09-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: college major, advice?

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Poli Sci, Devan. Can't do chit with it, that's why I'm a cop.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devanmc View Post
So as everyone knows im in college

Anyways, so far ive been a business major(integrated supply management). The plan has always been to use my previous military experience and training to get a job on the civilian side of government or rejoin (army). My dad is trying to push me to get a political science degree instead. Saying I would do better on the intelligence side of things than in logistics.

So, What can be done with a bachelors or masters in political science? Opinions about this in general also
Law School Or Teaching. GL, Brother!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

If you are thinking about re-upping, get in touch with someone inside who is in that area and ask them the question. I'm betting that they'd be more than willing to give you detailed advice.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

I double majored in Poli Sci and history in undergrad. Poli sci will prepare you well for law, government job, politics as a profession, teaching and I would think would be well served in the military.

Like any major, you can specialize on what you want to do, ie whether you focus on US government, international relations, or political theory

Not to mention that poli sci chicks are better looking than business girls
Old 09-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I've often been amazed at the number of majors out there that people will go to college and rack up lots of debt to pay for meaningless degrees. My advice would be to figure out exactly what it is that you want to do and see if those jobs hire people with those degrees.

Also take into consideration today's economy and structure of outsourcing/contracting to determine who secure a job in that field is. Having worked in logistics previously, it's a department that some companies may very well dump to "cut heads" and have someone else do. I've seen it happen. I've worked in procurement for a few years and in my last position, we were deemed an expense, regardless of how many millions we saved the company. A department of 13 people when I hired in 2 years previously was dismantled to just 4 in less than 2.5 years.

For example, someone interested in psychology may go pursue a B.S. in psychology, only to realize you'll need a masters if not a PhD to do anything within the field of psychology.

Just be sure you know what you're getting yourself into knowing what expectations employers have with regards to education.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #7
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
My advice would be to figure out exactly what it is that you want to do and see if those jobs hire people with those degrees.
How many people know "exactly what they want to do" for the rest of their life at age 21?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #8
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

Devmac, if you want to learn politics join the student senate, it helped me imensley in my day to day dealing with general politics you see everywhere. Business degree is great, but maybe add a minor in science, engineering, or economics. Any of those will show prospective employers that you have good problem solving skills.
Posted via Mobile Device
LostAbbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:00 PM   #9
mariogolbee

Devan, I typed in "careers with a political science degree" and you may want to do the same. Here are just the first three worthwhile hits.
http://www.apsanet.org/content_6457.cfmhttp://www.payscale.com/best-college...nce-majors.asphttp://education-portal.com/careers_...ce_degree.html
There has been some good advise in this thread about asking folks in the field what is necessary for the job. You may also want to see a counselor at you school and ask for them to administer an interest inventory or take a class that gives similar results about your interests and comparability to particular careers. Just don't let anyone administer the Myers-Briggs test to you; it is not a valid test, no matter how many people put misplaced faith in it, it's still squat.

Good luck, my friend. You still have time to figure out what you want to do, but coming up with a general plan would be helpful for you in the long run.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
How many people know "exactly what they want to do" for the rest of their life at age 21?
i do know that i wanna make money and not be poor.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:06 PM   #11
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post

True-I guess at least he should think of a range of occupations he could see himself doing. Of course, I say this at 37 years of age going back to school for a career change as I spent 10 years doing stuff I didn't like at all. I guess if anything, I'm all for advising someone to not follow my footsteps in getting a B.S. and M.S. in a field and 10 years later changing careers. It's pretty pricey that way.

A lot of this is all due to circumstances in my life that changed my perception of things though. Had I not lost 4 of my closest family members in an 18 month window, I never would have given nursing much thought. I couldn't save any of them, but maybe I could help save someone else.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #12
mariogolbee

Quote:
True-I guess at least he should think of a range of occupations he could see himself doing. Of course, I say this at 37 years of age going back to school for a career change as I spent 10 years doing stuff I didn't like at all. I guess if anything, I'm all for advising someone to not follow my footsteps in getting a B.S. and M.S. in a field and 10 years later changing careers. It's pretty pricey that way.
Which is why Devan should take a valid interest inventory. An aptitude test would surely help as well.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #13
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Very hard for me to believe that the demand is greater for intelligence than it is for logistics Devan.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #14
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Quote:
I've often been amazed at the number of majors out there that people will go to college and rack up lots of debt to pay for meaningless degrees.
I guess my history & poli sci degree is worthless

My advice: like cigars, do/study/smoke what you like and let the rest fall in place
Old 09-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #15
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Mac is right. Logistics does have a good demand. Especially if you go to UT Knox or any other top 3 school for logistics.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:36 PM   #16
Loon
Just in from the Storm

First Name: x
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Active)
Loon will become famous soon enoughLoon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I've often been amazed at the number of majors out there that people will go to college and rack up lots of debt to pay for meaningless degrees. My advice would be to figure out exactly what it is that you want to do and see if those jobs hire people with those degrees.

That's funny right there.
Loon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #17
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFPowersmoker320 View Post
I guess my history & poli sci degree is worthless

My advice: like cigars, do/study/smoke what you like and let the rest fall in place
Didn't say your degrees are worthless at all. What I'm saying is there are a lot of degrees out there that really won't get you into a position in the field at all or they're in a field where there's no money to be made.

If your history/poli sci degrees allowed you to be in a position that's provided for you and your family and you've enjoyed them, there's not a whole lot more you can ask for.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #18
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loon View Post

That's funny right there.
It wasn't meant to be funny. I'm just aware of the reality that many students go into a major only to graduate and find out they're unable to get a job they were hoping for actually.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #19
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation

Devan, with a poli sci degree I know of one place for sure you can get into and with your prior military experience it would be a plus...State Department.

Check out their career fields they have. I've worked breifly at many embassies and the Regional Security Officer (RSO) is one who needs a degree in whatever field but play along the border of politics and national security and the embassy. Good pay and benefits.

But again like many others stated, besides making money, think of something you would have fun working at/in. If not then a job is just a job and you'll find yourself switching careers for something else.

bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #20
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

I would do something that directly translates either into a masters degree or a job right out of college. Accounting, nursing, business administration, or human resources. With all of those it gives you a good foundation to either get a advanced degree or get a job.