Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2010, 11:12 AM   #101
Resipsa

Default Re: Cool iPhone/touch Apps, what do you like?

Introducing......

The Ipad.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/l...reation-event/
Old 01-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #102
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Looking great so far. No mention of phone capability, though. Or swapping out my sim card and using my 3G. If it misses that, it's pretty much a big ipod touch to me. It'd be a bummer. I'd be stuck to wifi. Gack.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:58 AM   #103
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post

iMeh.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:14 PM   #104
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
iMeh.
Hehe. Yeah. So far nothing that makes me want to go out and get one.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #105
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Just made a new thread on it, then I saw this one. My bad.
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #106
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Wow. Starting at only $499. That's a surprise.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #107
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Looking great so far. No mention of phone capability, though. Or swapping out my sim card and using my 3G. If it misses that, it's pretty much a big ipod touch to me. It'd be a bummer. I'd be stuck to wifi. Gack.
Nope no phone service. However there is the google voice work around. Not sure if it will work on Iphone/pad, but the unit has blue tooth so you do have the ability to get a google voice account and use it as a phone that way.

I have never said this before but apple beyond droped the ball on this one. No flash are you focking joking? http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/a...om-your-couch/. A device centered around the multimedia experience with no focking browser flash support? Did Apple not look at the Stats at just how much flash content is on the web? At 499 if it had flash support I would have been all over this device. You could have tied it to google voice I bet and had one kick ass MIDI. Voice, movies, flash media. OOOO but wait its tied to ATT network and we know ATT doesnt want flash support on its network because of the strain it would place on the network if available.

It would appear no multi tasking for Ipod either as this unit did not have multi tasking. It amazes me that Palm WebOs has multitasking but apple fails. ? Maybe its comming.

However I believe Vic will possibly be able to use this as he thought about. Because Iwork will be available. So it would appear http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/a...work-for-ipad/
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:08 PM   #108
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
Nope no phone service. However there is the google voice work around. Not sure if it will work on Iphone/pad, but the unit has blue tooth so you do have the ability to get a google voice account and use it as a phone that way.

I have never said this before but apple beyond droped the ball on this one. No flash are you focking joking? http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/a...om-your-couch/. A device centered around the multimedia experience with no focking browser flash support? Did Apple not look at the Stats at just how much flash content is on the web? At 499 if it had flash support I would have been all over this device. You could have tied it to google voice I bet and had one kick ass MIDI. Voice, movies, flash media. OOOO but wait its tied to ATT network and we know ATT doesnt want flash support on its network because of the strain it would place on the network if available.

It would appear no multi tasking for Ipod either as this unit did not have multi tasking. It amazes me that Palm WebOs has multitasking but apple fails. ? Maybe its comming.

However I believe Vic will possibly be able to use this as he thought about. Because Iwork will be available. So it would appear http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/a...work-for-ipad/
I'm with ya, brother. It's pretty much the maxiPad.
Coupled with logmein, it'd kick ass and I think it'd still be great for Vic at work, but no phone. No multitasking.
I'm clueless. I guess they thought grab some of that Amazon Kindle money? Nice movies?
It's just a big iPod Touch.
I'm sure I'll order the 16gb when they're ready and feel it out and see what I can do with it. If it's as cool as I hope, I'll get the $829 3G version after that and give the 16gb wifi to my daughter.
I don't even have 3G where I live, but I do everywhere I go.
It was a huge letdown for me, too, but I can definately see it as an awesome reader and web tool, and I absolutely hate laptops (always did), so I'm probably in the 1% of people who actually care, even though I'm very let down by the shortcomings.
It'll definately need hacked. No doubt.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #109
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
Wow. Starting at only $499. That's a surprise.
I fully expected to lay down $1000. The highest priced model is $829 and tax. I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but I thought that was fair. At least as far as Apple prices go.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #110
Resipsa

Quote:
Not being phone capable doesn't really matter I don't think. You're not going to be lugging it around to use for that purpose in any event, my phone is always with me anyway.

I can't think of any reason using google voice on it wouldn't work in any event. Those calls go out as data over the 3g or wifi, and I don't know how anyone would even be able to know or care that you were using either google voice or ribbit (google voice lookalike) to make calls. People have been using Ipod Touches connected to a MiFi to do just this for awhile now without incident.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:01 PM   #111
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Not being phone capable doesn't really matter I don't think. You're not going to be lugging it around to use for that purpose in any event, my phone is always with me anyway.

I can't think of any reason using google voice on it wouldn't work in any event. Those calls go out as data over the 3g or wifi, and I don't know how anyone would even be able to know or care that you were using either google voice or ribbit (google voice lookalike) to make calls. People have been using Ipod Touches connected to a MiFi to do just this for awhile now without incident.
You think you'll be able to use this thing, Vic?
Check on back up the thread a bit, too. I left a note for ya.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #112
Resipsa

Quote:
You think you'll be able to use this thing, Vic?
Check on back up the thread a bit, too. I left a note for ya.
I think so. It seems like it'll do the work related things I need it to do, but I really want to get a hands on with the onscreen keyboard. If it even comes close to approximating peformance on a regular keyboard and I can draft documents, etc on this thing, it could be a go
Old 01-27-2010, 03:19 PM   #113
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
I think so. It seems like it'll do the work related things I need it to do, but I really want to get a hands on with the onscreen keyboard. If it even comes close to approximating peformance on a regular keyboard and I can draft documents, etc on this thing, it could be a go
It's got a badass keyboard dock, too, brother.
Here's an accessory link.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #114
Resipsa

Quote:
It's got a badass keyboard dock, too, brother.
Here's an accessory link.
I've got a bluetooth keyboard that I use with my PS3 on the man tv, i'll just use it with the ipad
Old 01-27-2010, 06:02 PM   #115
Resipsa

Quote:

I have never said this before but apple beyond droped the ball on this one. No flash are you focking joking?
Ain't going to happen:

http://daringfireball.net/2010/01/apple_adobe_flash
Old 01-27-2010, 06:39 PM   #116
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas

Quote:
I fully expected to lay down $1000. The highest priced model is $829 and tax. I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but I thought that was fair. At least as far as Apple prices go.
Absolutely sincere bro, no sarcasm.

All of the "insiders" were saying $1000. $499 is a great move by Apple.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:16 PM   #117
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Quote:
Great article Vic. I guess flash wont be comming anytime soon. Or will it?......

I cant really agree with the authors point of view. To me it is written from a fanboys perspective. He seems to ignore the fact that apple is notorious for controling all aspects of its hardware and software and will only bend under extreme pressure. An example being when they finally had to switch to intel based processors because of powerPC issues. They held on as long as they could before giving in. I still wonder if deep down they knew when they switched over to X86 architecture there OS would end up being able to be hacked to work on PCs. I have a dual boot on my Acer netbook running OSX. I have gotten some odd looks from apple owners at Starbucks in the past and even a few questions on how I did that.

The article points out how apple doesnt like how adobe controls flash out one side of his mouth while ignoring that apple will let no one release any hardware product with its OS besides apple. They control all aspects of their OS and product. The app store controls what you can install on the Iphone and unless you jailbreak it you cant install other product(from what my buddies with them tell me). If you want the apple OS you buy apple product, and apple charges a good penny for that product. It is a high quality product though no argument there. That seems to be okay with the author.

Adobe controlling all aspects of flash development even though its open to all, thats just wrong. Although it appears as though apple is trying to develop its own apple based alternitive to flash. Why? so they can continue to control all aspects of the apple OS interface and hardware. http://www.neowin.net/news/adobe-cal...-flash-support

I had never even looked into the issue with apple before you posted this. I appreciate the link. In all honesty I dont support this. It smacks of an attempt to control all aspects of everything it touches. I really

If Palm delivers flash browser support as promised next month by adobe, then I think they will start to gain substantial market share. Adobe went out of its way to work with Palm in the development of flash support for its WebOs and would have done the same for Apple. The difference being Apple would not have owned and controlled it still and as they have shown they dont like that. Apple makes a lot of money controlling all aspects of everything with their products. Apple would never go to adobe for help. This will only change if demand becomes high enough and as the article you pointed out showed I guess enough dont care or are willing to accept this short comming

Last edited by Ahbroody; 01-27-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:40 AM   #118
Resipsa

Sweet:

http://gizmodo.com/5458498/apple-now...-calls-be-next
Old 01-29-2010, 09:51 AM   #119
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about

If you need something for your car to hold your iPhone, this is an item I've been using for about a year and a half:

It can mount to your dashboard, windshield or A/C vents (I have mine mounted to the vents) and it will accomodate a plain iPhone or an iPhone using one of their Innocases (which I use with the belt mount). Look here at Seidio's website for details...

The travel kit sells for 49.95, charges your phone while you are using it (GPS is great here) and it has a extra USB charger adapter on the side to recharge items like cameras or mp3 players.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #120
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I have a couple gooseneck mounts, Charlie. They're awesome.
I got a dual charger that works with the usb cables so Lisa and I (or my daughter and I) can charge our iPhones or Touches simutaneously.
I also installed an rf modulator setup in the Envoy so I can plug my ipod or phone or touch right into the stereo, because it doesn't have a 5mm jack for aux.
Works great and sounds awesome.

On the app front, I found it fun to run iseismometer while I'm playing tunes over my phone's speaker. Especialy if it's bass-heavy stuff. It's fun.
It's far more geeky than visualizations. Plus Bigfoot can't sneak up on you. That's just and added benefit.