Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 04-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #41
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Boveda Packs Regeneration

So, as pretty much exactly as expected, after dropping back into the proper weight range and therefore correct salt ratios, the packs are performing as labeled:

Pack #1 - when overcharged, was pushing 78%, now it's been holding steady for a few weeks at 72% once it dropped back down to 8.6g

Pack #2 - previously overcharged with 16.9g total weight, was hovering at 79%. Now, back down to about 9g, it has been holding at 69%.

BTW Scott, from testing the packs along the way as they lost moisture, max weight seems to be around 9.5g give or take for these smaller packs. Over that and they are going to read high, below that and they are fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wDSCN2557.jpg (89.0 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg wDSCN2565.jpg (82.6 KB, 315 views)
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:08 PM   #42
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

For anyone interested, the B----- website calls them 8 gram for the small and 60 gram for the large.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:24 PM   #43
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
For anyone interested, the B----- website calls them 8 gram for the small and 60 gram for the large.
Thanks for finding the info, Darren. That makes sense with what I saw; since it's a two-way pack, they are going to sell with the salt solution over saturated so it still has the capability of absorbing some excess humidity while maintaining the setpoint RH. If they sell it at a charged/total weight of 8g, they get crunchy around 3.3g, this means there is about 4.7g of water in there. When over charged, I saw it start hitting the target RH once it dropped to about 9.5g in weight when placed into a dry bag, so that means it has the ability to absorb approximately an additional 30% water, which is reasonable.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:46 PM   #44
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

My pleasure!

If all these values are fixed (RH setpoint of the RO membrane, etc.), can we graph out how long a depleted pack must soak to hit the target weight?
Old 04-22-2014, 12:54 PM   #45
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

That about wraps up this test. Very nicely, too.
Well done, gentlemen!!!
Old 04-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #46
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
That about wraps up this test. Very nicely, too.
Well done, gentlemen!!!
Old 04-22-2014, 04:07 PM   #47
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
My pleasure!

If all these values are fixed (RH setpoint of the RO membrane, etc.), can we graph out how long a depleted pack must soak to hit the target weight?
Maybe.

There are some things we don't know about these packs, like what the transfer rate is through the membrane. Also you have a variable for how dried out the pack really is when you start and water temperature might also be a variable.

I suppose I can take a few dried out packs and toss them in water, then periodically pull them out to weigh them. Not exactly the most scientific method, but maybe narrow the times down a little bit.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #48
meatcake
Meaty Cakey Goodness

First Name: Brandon
Trading: (0)
RA
meatcake is on a distinguished road

I do this all the time too, the only drawback I can tell is they seem to dry up faster after the recharge. Still getting SAME RH for most part though. So I got a 12 pack and just rotate.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:40 PM   #49
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Maybe.

There are some things we don't know about these packs, like what the transfer rate is through the membrane. Also you have a variable for how dried out the pack really is when you start and water temperature might also be a variable.

I suppose I can take a few dried out packs and toss them in water, then periodically pull them out to weigh them. Not exactly the most scientific method, but maybe narrow the times down a little bit.
It was just a thought. You guys have done some good work and it was fun geeking-out with you. Personally, I use the sealed Tupperware method but that takes time; a quicker way would be helpful but at this point, you've done enough work. Bravo-Zulu!
Old 04-23-2014, 12:03 AM   #50
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatcake View Post
I do this all the time too, the only drawback I can tell is they seem to dry up faster after the recharge. Still getting SAME RH for most part though. So I got a 12 pack and just rotate.
That would mean that "re-charged" humidity escapes the humi faster than "new" humidity or that a new pack works slower than a re-charged pack. The new ones do feel different from re-charged ones, though.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #51
meatcake
Meaty Cakey Goodness

RA

Quote:
That would mean that "re-charged" humidity escapes the humi faster than "new" humidity or that a new pack works slower than a re-charged pack. The new ones do feel different from re-charged ones, though.
Could be that I am impatient and don't wait for them to FULLY recharge? Not sure. I haven't been real technical about how i do it. I put them in a snap lock tupperware with another tupperware inside it with 2 fresh sponges soaked in distilled water. I put the packs around that, lock it up and leave them for a week or until they feel squishy again. They just don't seem to have the same consistency of NEW boveda packs once recharged. Who knows.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:47 AM   #52
Zane
Have My Own Room

First Name: Zane
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Zane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatcake View Post
Could be that I am impatient and don't wait for them to FULLY recharge? Not sure. I haven't been real technical about how i do it. I put them in a snap lock tupperware with another tupperware inside it with 2 fresh sponges soaked in distilled water. I put the packs around that, lock it up and leave them for a week or until they feel squishy again. They just don't seem to have the same consistency of NEW boveda packs once recharged. Who knows.
I imagine your like me and have no patience so they don't get fully recharged.

COO BlindMan's Puff
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:17 PM   #53
meatcake
Meaty Cakey Goodness

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane View Post
I imagine your like me and have no patience so they don't get fully recharged.
Probably true.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:56 PM   #54
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I also put mine in a empty desktop humidor with some overly-charged beads and they fatten up pretty well.
I have never thought that it was worth it for me to soak them, but I KNOW they work that way, too.
And when I charge them, they are invariably flat and hard as a rock. Bringing them back for many years has
not seemed to lessen their efficacy.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:49 PM   #55
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

You guys can get a gram scale like old Cheech there has, they're but a couple bucks at Amazon.
The 8 bucks spent on a scale would save a fortune on Boveda packs.

It'd be nice to take the info from this post and turn it into a coherent sticky.
It'd save brothers a lot of money, not to mention how useful the information would be for all the boys and girls we support overseas. I know I sent a small fortune in Boveda packs.
It's not like I'd ever quit buying them, they're ideal for SO many situations. It just makes good sense to squeeze every penny out of them that we can. Then we could buy more Boveda cigars, if they'd just start making some.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:06 PM   #56
badbriar

Have two 69 Boveda packs that were pretty stiff- almost dry. Had them in a zip lock with wet sponge for two weeks now. Pretty much recharged, but still a little bit crunchy around the edges. Is this normal?
RR
Old 06-18-2014, 09:26 PM   #57
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbriar View Post
Have two 69 Boveda packs that were pretty stiff- almost dry. Had them in a zip lock with wet sponge for two weeks now. Pretty much recharged, but still a little bit crunchy around the edges. Is this normal?
RR

Can't say if it's normal or not, but I wouldn't worry about it. It's just salt and water inside a sealed bag, so eventually the crystallization at the edges should go into solution.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:50 PM   #58
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbriar View Post
RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Can't say if it's normal or not, but I wouldn't worry about it. It's just salt and water inside a sealed bag, so eventually the crystallization at the edges should go into solution.
That's been my experience.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:47 PM   #59
WaxingMoon
Humidor Builder

First Name: Ed
Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
WaxingMoon will become famous soon enoughWaxingMoon will become famous soon enough

Here is how I rehydrate my Boveda packs.... works well...

I have a "large" sealed container with a lid and the next size down container without the lid...

I then put all the packs I want to rehydrate in to the smaller container, which will remain "dry".

I then nest the smaller container in to the larger container which is about 1/2 full of DW.... The Boveda packs will not come in to contact with the DW... as they are "floating" in the smaller container.

Then, I put the lid on the larger container and put them aside - and forget about them until I need them again. By that time, they will be ready for reuse.... I usually go a couple of months before having to replace them.... and I do all four of my humidors at the same time.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #60
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Great job and photographs everyone. I like the idea of re-hydrating a pack back to its original weight (small pack 8g app and large pack 60g app). This appears to bring the pack back to its original RH set.

The manufacturers web page indicates the packs when originally purchased, should last between 2-4 months. I would assume if you recharge a pack, that it should last at least 3 months (avg) prior to needing another recharge. This depends on, of course, how many cigars one is keeping humidity on.

Again, good work all