Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 10-06-2010, 02:51 AM   #21
Barcode
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tom
Trading: (16)
RyJ Navy (Served With Honor)
Barcode will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Waxing Moon Humidor Thread

Very Nice Work Ed, any idea on a price for the coffin?
Barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:14 AM   #22
smelvis
Not part of the Clique

Trading: (16)
smelvis has disabled reputation

Still doing Beautiful work Ed!

Dave
smelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:59 PM   #23
WaxingMoon
Humidor Builder

First Name: Ed
Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
WaxingMoon will become famous soon enoughWaxingMoon will become famous soon enough

Well...I got them both lined and lids mounted.... These two are officially humidors now....

Tight little boxes, they are....

Old 10-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #24
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

First Name: Chingas
Trading: (35)
Partagas
Chingas has disabled reputation

Those are down right beautiful Ed! PLEASE keep up the great work!
Old 10-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #25
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Awesome Work As Usual, Ed!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:49 AM   #26
WaxingMoon
Humidor Builder

Army (Served With Honor)
WaxingMoon will become famous soon enoughWaxingMoon will become famous soon enough

Last night I did a little bit more "detailed" work on the Wyoming humidor.... My customer wanted his family brands to really stand out on the lid.... Although the laser engraving did a great job, and layed down ground work... it just didn't quite give it the desired effect against the walnut....

So.... after kicking it around in my head for a couple of days on how to "fix it"... I came up with this.... Here's a before & after pic....

OK - So now, I can call it done.....

Before:

After:

Old 10-08-2010, 04:14 AM   #27
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

Partagas

I'd have to say that worked out well!
Old 10-08-2010, 04:32 AM   #28
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Definitely Highlighted, Now!
Old 10-09-2010, 03:50 PM   #29
WaxingMoon
Humidor Builder

Army (Served With Honor)

Finally, I got the lids back on these two from my laser guy in Atlanta.....

They can now officially be called humidors!

Next....tray work.... and then Done!

Old 10-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #30
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Nice Work, Ed!
Old 10-10-2010, 06:06 PM   #31
WaxingMoon
Humidor Builder

Army (Served With Honor)

Just finished up this little gem... she's all boxed up and ready to go see Uncle Sam's delivery service tomorrow.....on it's way to The Keystone State!

I want to thank some friends of mine, Kevin & Genie.... for going out of their way and making the cool little back drop cloths for my pictures....

10.25" x 8.75" x 5"
60 Count
Curly Maple & Purpleheart

And..... this one is finished as well.....

Curly Maple & Cherry
10.25" x 8.75" x 6.5"
83 Count....
This one is currently available.... thread posted in the WTS section...

Last edited by WaxingMoon; 10-10-2010 at 06:21 PM.
WaxingMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:34 PM   #32
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

I love that Wyoming one so much!
Old 10-16-2010, 07:54 AM   #33
WaxingMoon
Humidor Builder

Army (Served With Honor)

Next....WMWH54 - Walnut. This is going to be a sweet box. 14x10x6.5 for around 130 count humidor.

Next.... WMWH56 - Walnut & Cocobolo. 11x9x6 for a tight little 85 count humidor.... with some pizazz...

Next....WMWH57 - Bookmatched Quilted Maple & Cocobolo. Speaking of pizazz.... well, I'm just gonna keep quiet on this one.... 26x14x14 for 725 count humidor....

Next...WMWH59 - Ziricote & Gabon Ebony.... This is this run's Extra... We'll call it the Waxing Moon "choice"... as this one is not special ordered and will be available for the open market.... I plan on trying a couple of new things to the styling on this one.... Should be interesting.... 16x12x8 for a 220 count

Lastly.... WMWH62 - Jataboa (aka Brazilian Cherry). Last minute - able to fill order because I had the wood in house.... 16x12x7 for 190 count...

Stay tuned!!!
Old 10-16-2010, 07:55 AM   #34
WaxingMoon
Humidor Builder

Army (Served With Honor)

Today is a heavy sawdust day..... Time for some humidors to meet their makers!!!

Although we still have a little tweeking to do on #52 & #48 and a set of trays..... We should have them done by the close of the weekend....

First up - WMWH53..... Figured Cherry & Walnut. We are going to try to squeeze out a 19x12x8.5, 277 count humidor from what you see below. This cherry is amazing.... Highly figured - should prove to be an interesting piece.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #35
WaxingMoon
Humidor Builder

Army (Served With Honor)

First off, we had to tame the "live edge" of that slab of cocobolo.... Here's a picture of my partner Bruce.... getting a straight edge from that slab....

Here's the straight edge, which allows us to put it up against the table saw fence now...

I'm going to keep that live edge around and use it on a lid for a future humidor.....

And.... here's the progress so far today.... Still daylight to burn...

Old 10-17-2010, 03:32 PM   #36
WaxingMoon
Humidor Builder

Army (Served With Honor)

WMWH59 - Ziricote & Gabon Ebony..... This one is coming along as well... I plan on doing some cool stuff to the base molding and the lid is going to have a completely different style..... This one will be interesting....

WMWH62 - Jataboa or Brazilian Cherry..... this one is coming along as well... Have to get the others caught up before we do much more with this one.... Didn't do much with the lid pieces on this one either...

So far... so good... I think have some nice lookers coming out of this batch!

Thanks for watching everybody!!!
Old 10-17-2010, 03:33 PM   #37
WaxingMoon
Humidor Builder

Army (Served With Honor)

We sure have made a lot of sawdust over the last couple of days.... I think we wore out a blade or two as well... some pretty hard wood getting cut up here.....

Three of lids will be laminated with contrasting stripes.... and four of the humidors will have a lid separator... which, (with any luck), we'll be cutting the lid off at the laminated 1/4" piece.... leaving 1/16th inch on each side of the cut... 1/8" appearance when the lid is closed.... of contrasting wood..

Here we go....

WMWH53 - Cherry & Walnut.... This one will have a glass lid. I put that other humidor in the picture to give you an idea of how cherry darkens up over time.... And... that humi has only been around about a week or two...

WMWH54 - Walnut... We just worked the box portion of this one... as you can see, the lid parts still need to be planed down...

WMWH56 - Walnut & Cocobolo... This is a great combination.... Again, haven't worked too much on the lid parts... except cut all the laminates for the laminated lid detail...

WMWH57 - Quilted Maple & Cocoblo.... This one is going to be HUGE. Big Cocobolo base molding.... and then a cocobolo band separating the book matched top & bottom.... not to mention the lid.... We're going to have fun with this one....

Old 10-19-2010, 03:40 AM   #38
WaxingMoon
Humidor Builder

Army (Served With Honor)

Yesterday was not a very exciting day in the shop..... unless you like to watch glue dry.... There was a whole lot of this going on.....

Old 10-19-2010, 03:42 AM   #39
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

Partagas

Can't wait to see what comes from this. So far, I'm a little confused. That thing looks huge!
Old 10-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #40
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

I would LOVE to find a way to build one out of American Red Cedar. The problem with that is the aromatic cedar would surely ruin a cigar. I may experiment with some ways to seal the cedar before applying the interior Spanish Cedar. It's an iffy idea, at best. But American Red Cedar is some of the prettiest wood around.

Have you busted the myth and built a useable model out of Red Cedar yet?
cmitch is offline   Reply With Quote