Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #21
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation
Default Re: someone had a great christmas at my expense

Exactly. Then the do what's called skinning. Where they program a card with your info and use it as a cc they didn't have the pin so all purchases were run as credit card. They signed for the purchase that's why they could do it as the card can have anyones name on it that the choose. Its like a fake skin. Skimming os where they get the info, then they make a skin of your card with a different name and use it like a cc
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #22
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

That sucks Mike, I've been there, it sucks and it's an annoyance, but in the end, you'll look back and realize it wasn't as "bad" as it might seem to you now.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #23
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

Trading: (15)
HUpmann
newcigarz has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
Exactly. Then the do what's called skinning. Where they program a card with your info and use it as a cc they didn't have the pin so all purchases were run as credit card. They signed for the purchase that's why they could do it as the card can have anyones name on it that the choose. Its like a fake skin. Skimming os where they get the info, then they make a skin of your card with a different name and use it like a cc

I understand now
newcigarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #24
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Best of luck! I know a bunch of people who had this happen at a now defunct Mexican restaurant in Cincinnati. Hope it all resolves for the best.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #25
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

Happened to me once. They tried to buy a $4000 tv with my debit, bank called me immediately! They ask if I am buying a tv at best buy in Maryland, I said no I am on my couch in Florida. They asked if I had my card, I did. And then they went through all purchases with me. Bank handled it very well. Good-luck!
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #26
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Glad it sounds like it will all work out, Mike. Had the same thing happen years back, got all the cash back but it was tied up for a couple weeks...tough on a blue collar guy.

I actually have "check photo ID" written on the signature strip on all my CCs and debit cards. I get asked for ID maybe one time out of 20....I always make sure to thank the cashiers/clerks/waitresses who ask.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #27
mariogolbee

Mike, this sucks, but I'm glad you're getting it worked out.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:54 PM   #28
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

I have check ID on my cards as well, but unfortunately the thieves probably do not write that on the cards they make with your information.

In fact, I wouldn't doubt if the cards they make have their name on them with your number and your info on the magnetic strip. If a cashier paid attention to the name on the receipt, they'd see it didn't match the name on the card, but fat chance any cashier checks that.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:34 AM   #29
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry to hear this happened Mike. Something like this happened to me back when I first got a debit card. It was for 3-4 charges at different taco bells Luckily that was all and I caught it right away. It all sucks though.

See technically no place should accept your card without a signature on the back. A lot of people write "see id" or something similar on the back. With that on there according to the card agreeement, it should get your card rejected due to no signature on the card. Rarely do any places check id, and we all know this. If we could get everyone to check ID no matter what that would be great. However in this time and age everyone wants their stuff now with little wait time. With that, it is easier for security to be passed to the wind. Add in the confrontational scene that people will throw at a cashier when they realize that the info doesn't match and I think that is enough for people to not want to say anything
Old 01-03-2011, 04:38 AM   #30
BamBam
Just Pipin'

Trading: (37)
Montecristo
BamBam will become famous soon enoughBamBam will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Guess they bought their demon spawn some toys as well.
That quote was hilarious

Yeah Mikey, been there, no fun, hope it all gets sorted out for you.
BamBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:24 AM   #31
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Hey! Glad I saw this. This is happening to me right now! Well sort of.

Wrote a check and sent it in the mail, someone got a hold of the envelope. Opened it, and rewrote the check for 3k. The bank showed me the copy of the check and it looked legit. Bank is doing their investigation, but they said it could take up to 10 or more days. Just crossing my fingers, because I need to get some gas! JK

I was pretty pissed off at first, but I know everything will work out, so I can't stress over it too much.
Adriftpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:58 AM   #32
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry to hear about this. Hope this guy spends his new year with Bubba in the slammer.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:00 AM   #33
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

That sucks...glad that it seems to be working intself out.

+1 another vote for some time spent with Bubba
Old 01-03-2011, 08:17 AM   #34
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I have a Sams Club Discover and they're calling me all the time verifying stuff it seems and they've locked my card several times until they confirm purchases. They've also denied a number of purchases that I've had to call and get them to approve. It's a hassle at times, but probably worth not having to go through stuff like this.

I can say with the exception of the company doing the processing for an overseas vendor, I've never had any issues.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #35
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes View Post
I have check ID on my cards as well, but unfortunately the thieves probably do not write that on the cards they make with your information.
Understood, David, my point was about cashiers checking IDs in general on debit and credit purchases, not about counterfeit cards.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #36
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Bank has issued what they call a provisional credit for the money while they conduct their investigation. Can't imagine they won't find in our favor as we didn't do it.

Hopefully they resolve this completely soon.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #37
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Quote:
Bank has issued what they call a provisional credit for the money while they conduct their investigation. Can't imagine they won't find in our favor as we didn't do it.

Hopefully they resolve this completely soon.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #38
BloodSpite
He Who Dares...WINS!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
HdM Army (Disabled Vet)
BloodSpite is on a distinguished road

It goes beyond people doing it manually.

Clever thieves attach devices on pay at the pump systems, ATM's, pretty much anything that takes your debit or credit card.

The devices can look fairly innocuous.

Keep your eyes peeled, only use terminals you know well. Examine a terminal before use.
BloodSpite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #39
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the link BloodSpite. I always wondered what a skimmer looked like.