Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about
Default SON OF A BEEOCH! high cholesterol! damn!

So I decided to get some bloodwork done while I was at the doc..first thing they do at the dr's office if take weight..I am 6'3 221lbs..lost 9 lbs, sweet! I get a call today on the old machine that says my cholesterol is 211..144 of that is my LDL (bad cholesterol)..Dr says to lose some weight and bring that number down..son of a B...I eat a bowl of whole grain cereal every morning, eat 2-3 pieces of fruit and a freakin low fat meal for lunch, then I eat meat and lots of it for dinner! Well, maybe only a few times per week..but I eat a bunch of cheese...maybe it had something to do with the brick of goetta I ate in the past few days...I do take fish oil though. crap! I am too young for this! How did this happen? I workout!
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: SON OF A BEEOCH! high cholesterol! damn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-man67 View Post
So I decided to get some bloodwork done while I was at the doc..first thing they do at the dr's office if take weight..I am 6'3 221lbs..lost 9 lbs, sweet! I get a call today on the old machine that says my cholesterol is 211..144 of that is my LDL (bad cholesterol)..Dr says to lose some weight and bring that number down..son of a B...I eat a bowl of whole grain cereal every morning, eat 2-3 pieces of fruit and a freakin low fat meal for lunch, then I eat meat and lots of it for dinner! Well, maybe only a few times per week..but I eat a bunch of cheese...maybe it had something to do with the brick of goetta I ate in the past few days...I do take fish oil though. crap! I am too young for this! How did this happen? I workout!
Right there with you, I have delayed my 6 month follow up for two weeks. I have to take my blood work on Mon and my appt is on Thurs. Last time my cholesterol was close to 300, I have lost 35 pounds since then but we shall see.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoings View Post
Right there with you, I have delayed my 6 month follow up for two weeks. I have to take my blood work on Mon and my appt is on Thurs. Last time my cholesterol was close to 300, I have lost 35 pounds since then but we shall see.
Perfect freakin time too...I have bronchitis (can't smoke or breathe) and now I can't eat the things I really enjoy...wonderful

KGoings Congrats on losing weight! 35lbs is a bunch...I'll bet your numbers have improved. Good Luck bro!
Old 05-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #4
smokin5
Have My Own Room

Trading: (69)
Bolivar
smokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nice

I went through the same thing last year.
Skinny body, but fat blood - part of my inheritance.
I had to knock 60-80 points off my cholesterol pronto, & without statins, as I was trying to qualify for new health insurance.
Per my doctor's suggestion, I doubled up on red yeast rice pills (2 pills 2x per day), & went totally fat-free for a month. Lots of beans, veggies & rice; the only meat I ate was shrimp sauteed in oil & garlic. The result?
Knocked 120 points off my cholesterol count!
The punchline is that the insurance co. thought I must have sent in a ringer to have such a lower count, & said I had to take another test 4 weeks later.
So I continued my diet for another 4 weeks. In the interim, though, I managed to drop another 10 pounds.

Hang in there, bro - You CAN do it!!
Old 05-13-2010, 09:35 PM   #5
Cigary

Been there doing that. Have been on statins forever it seems like. Hard to control your diet when you love food like I do. Good luck!
Old 05-13-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Same here, pravastatin to manage the cholesterol and lisinopril for the BP.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #7
themoneycollector
Nicotiana Tabacum

Trading: (108)
Bolivar
themoneycollector has disabled reputation

I suffer from the same problem and high BP too. I try and eat right, but just can't seem to keep it under control.
themoneycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:15 PM   #8
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Thank god for Lipitor!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:34 AM   #9
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Sometimes it's just hereditary. Mine was so high, my doc told me I could eat nothing but grass the rest of my life and it would still be too high.

I've been on statins for years now and everything is fine. I dropped 25 lbs. last year and that was enough for my dosage to be cut in half, which I was more than happy with. It's the only medication I take, so I'm not going to complain any.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:12 AM   #10
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill View Post
Sometimes it's just hereditary. Mine was so high, my doc told me I could eat nothing but grass the rest of my life and it would still be too high.

I've been on statins for years now and everything is fine. I dropped 25 lbs. last year and that was enough for my dosage to be cut in half, which I was more than happy with. It's the only medication I take, so I'm not going to complain any.
You're right on the money with it being hereditary sometimes. I'm one of the lucky ones. With the exception of a mild case of Type II Diabetes (controlled by a couple of pills a day) and being about 30 lbs. overweight, I'm one of those people who can eat anything and it won't affect my cholesterol. My last blood test had my total cholesterol at 146 and my BP was 122 over 78. My doctor said it must be in my genes.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #11
SSDVC
Life is short, Relax

First Name: Scott
Partagas Navy (Retired)
SSDVC is on a distinguished road

I've been lucky with cholesterol numbers. Over 50 and I am still at around 180. However, my triglycerides are around 275. I don't eat anything to justify that number and I can't get it down.

Oh well, back to my weekly cigar and Johnny Blue !! Hamburger anyone?
SSDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #12
jjon90

I'm on the fifties cocktail, Cholesterol & blood pressure meds..
Old 05-14-2010, 11:41 PM   #13
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-man67 View Post
LDL of 144 isn't terrible, but there are ways to help that, obviously watching your saturated fats and cholesterol intake is a start. Exercise will also help. The fish oil is good, but that barely effects LDL if at all, it primarily acts on your triglyceride levels. If you want something non-prescription to help, Red Yeast Rice is a good option, but if you're not on a cholesterol med and are at 144, I would guess that with watching your diet a bit more you can lower it. Just avoid fast food (especially burgers and fried foods) and try to add more vegetables to fill you up, non-animal based food doesn't have cholesterol.
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:36 AM   #14
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Hey, my combined was over 300 not too long ago.
My bad was over 220.

Today, my bad is 98 steady and combined, I am at 170.

Just took some stantins and what I truly believe to be the cure, FISH OIL.
I do 2000 mg a day.

I eat anything and everything I want, in moderation as the key.

My tri's are well in line also.

It can be done.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:16 AM   #15
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

PL

Yeah, I going to take fish oil and flaxseed oil more consistantly now...I have a product called Colest-off which I think is made up of plant statins (otc drug) that I took sporatically...gonna have to be more disciplined now..heart attacks kinda run in my family.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:13 AM   #16
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Just took some stantins and what I truly believe to be the cure, FISH OIL.
I do 2000 mg a day.
I also take Fish Oil, about 1000-3000 a day depending how good I am at remembering every meal.

Also, cinamon is really good lowering cholesterol. Eat about one tablespoon a day. Add it your coffee and fruit and you'll get down one tablespoon quite easily.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:24 AM   #17
shadow king
Fresh outta Ad Seg

First Name: Matt
Trading: (19)
Quintero
shadow king is on a distinguished road

So what age are you supposed to get all of this tested? And how often?
shadow king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:07 PM   #18
SSDVC
Life is short, Relax

First Name: Scott
Partagas Navy (Retired)
SSDVC is on a distinguished road

If your insurance covers it or you can afford it, get a physical with blood work once a year. Preventive medicine is key. Spot it early and take care of business. Remember, once of prevention, yata, yata, yata.
SSDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:46 AM   #19
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow king View Post
So what age are you supposed to get all of this tested? And how often?
Every year if you can. You have to start off with the first year as soon as possible to set a base line.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:27 AM   #20
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I also take Fish Oil, about 1000-3000 a day depending how good I am at remembering every meal.

Also, cinamon is really good lowering cholesterol. Eat about one tablespoon a day. Add it your coffee and fruit and you'll get down one tablespoon quite easily.
I sprinkle cinnamon in my oatmeal for double the effect. Oatmeal is good for you also. Just go easy on the other additives like butter and sweeteners.