Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 03-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #1
See-Fu

Default whiskey, cognac, brandy

I'm trying to figure out what the difference is, but I can't seem to figure it out. Can someone shed some light on this for me. I've done a wiki search, but still don't really get it.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
See-Fu

Default Re: whiskey, cognac, brandy

I figured out how whiskey is different and I know that cognac is a type of brandy. What other kinds of liquor are a type of brandy?
Old 03-10-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

I'm a Wikipedia slut......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandy

Pisco was the other type that I recognized, but it appears that brandy is broken into 3 categories: grape, fruit, and pomace.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

To add to the confusion, port is fortified with brandy. Mmmmmmm, port.
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #5
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by See-Fu View Post
I figured out how whiskey is different and I know that cognac is a type of brandy. What other kinds of liquor are a type of brandy?
The only difference is that Cognac is brandy produced INSIDE of region of Cognac in France. All brandies produced outside of Cognac can only be labeled brandy. No other difference.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #6
See-Fu

Awesome. thanks for the help.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
TheRiddick
Non-believer

TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Actually, there is one difference, come to think of it, in some cases such as brandies produced here in USA.

Those produced in Cognac are mostly produced from one grape varietal, uni blanc, with sometimes small additions of other less known grapes. Brandies made in USA can be made from any grape whatsoever. The end result, at least in my experience, is that you get more nuance and complexity this way since each grape adds something to the blend, another layer of flavor if you will. Similar to a cigar where each component (leaf) adds its own flavor to the blend.

Don't only stick to Cognac, try some great brandies from Spain and USA, I am sure you'll like at least some of them. And most likely may prefer USA versions to Cognac.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:17 PM   #8
hova45
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Joey
Trading: (0)
Punch
hova45 is on a distinguished road

What happened to good ol Rum? Man you need to get some Zacapa centenario, ZAYA, or Diplomatico Reserva.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #9
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
Those produced in Cognac are mostly produced from one grape varietal, uni blanc, with sometimes small additions of other less known grapes.

I thought Chard. was the main grape in Cognac?
Old 03-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #10
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
The only difference is that Cognac is brandy produced INSIDE of region of Cognac in France. All brandies produced outside of Cognac can only be labeled brandy. No other difference.
or, if they are from the region Armagnac, they will label it Armagnac.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
robofan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I thought Chard. was the main grape in Cognac?

No Chard in Cognac.

From Cognac World

The entire Cognac vineyard covers around 80.000 hectares (1 hectare = 2,47 acres) and 15.000 plantations that produce white wine for the production of Cognac. The main grape variety that is planted is Ugni blanc (mostly "Folle Blanche" and "Colombard"). This slow ripening variety is very resistant to diseases and produces a wine that has two vital qualities : a high level of acidity and a generally low alcohol content.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #12
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Since your are seeking information on Cognac you may be interested the how Cognac is graded:

The official quality grades of cognac are, according to the BNIC (Bureau National Interprofessionnel du Cognac):

* VS Very Special, or ✯✯✯ (three stars) where the youngest brandy is stored at least two years in cask.
* VSOP Very Superior Old Pale, where the youngest brandy is stored at least four years in cask, but the average wood age is much older.
* XO Extra Old, where the youngest brandy is stored at least six, but average upwards of 20 years.

In addition can be mentioned:

* Napoleon Although the BNIC states this grade is equal to XO in terms of minimum age, it is generally marketed in-between VSOP and XO in the product range offered by the producers.
* Extra A minimum of 6 years of age, this grade is usually older than a Napoleon or an XO.
* Vieux Is another grade between the official grades of VSOP and XO.
* Vieille Réserve Is like the Hors d´Age a grade beyond XO.
* Hors d'âge The BNIC states that also this grade is equal to XO, but in practice the term is used by producers to market a high quality product beyond the official age scale. Hence the name "Hors d'age" (beyond age).

No house of cognac produces all the above mentioned grades/qualities.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:32 PM   #13
TheRiddick
Non-believer

Johnny,

For the most part, I avoid any Cognac that has a "designation". If you look at all the small house, family owned Cognacs on the market, they don't have any designation to begin with, simply some proprietary name that means something for that particular house.

For example, most any small house Cognac STARTS with a blend that is about 10 average, meaning some of the components may be 5 years old and others that are 15 years old. This easily surpasses even the XO designation, which is used by most "commercial" houses such as Martell, Remy, Hennessy and others.

I don't even remember the last time I drank any Cognac with a "designation", I was gifted a bottle of Hennessy XO recently and I am not looking towards drinking it: too much oak, artificial coloring (any red tint means that) and little nuance. TO MY PALATE, YMMMV of course. Many houses do marketing tricks by having their products in expensive crystal bottles, but the product inside is same old oak driven, color tinted and little nuanced brandy.

Look for small houses, such as Delamaine, Ferrand, Deret, Gourmel (my favorite), Hine and a few others. A bit more money, but then you're buying and enjoying, say, something on the order of a high end smoke (Opus, DPG, Tats, Illusione, etc) versus Swisher Sweets.

Per your post above, ALL the houses I listed are ABOVE the mentioned grades, in many cases way above (20-30+ years blends). Guaranteed. I've been drinking them since mid '80s and can highly recommend them. Even their "bottom end" is way above the best of the big houses.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:32 AM   #14
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Look for small houses, such as Delamaine, Ferrand, Deret, Gourmel (my favorite), Hine and a few others. A bit more money, but then you're buying and enjoying, say, something on the order of a high end smoke (Opus, DPG, Tats, Illusione, etc) versus Swisher Sweets.

I can't say enough about chosing the small houses when it comes to Cognac. There's no comparasion between dollar to dollar spent. I really love Ferrand and it's pretty well distributed. $50 or so should get you something to show off.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:31 AM   #15
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Johnny,

For the most part, I avoid any Cognac that has a "designation". If you look at all the small house, family owned Cognacs on the market, they don't have any designation to begin with, simply some proprietary name that means something for that particular house.

For example, most any small house Cognac STARTS with a blend that is about 10 average, meaning some of the components may be 5 years old and others that are 15 years old. This easily surpasses even the XO designation, which is used by most "commercial" houses such as Martell, Remy, Hennessy and others.

I don't even remember the last time I drank any Cognac with a "designation", I was gifted a bottle of Hennessy XO recently and I am not looking towards drinking it: too much oak, artificial coloring (any red tint means that) and little nuance. TO MY PALATE, YMMMV of course. Many houses do marketing tricks by having their products in expensive crystal bottles, but the product inside is same old oak driven, color tinted and little nuanced brandy.

Per your post above, ALL the houses I listed are ABOVE the mentioned grades, in many cases way above (20-30+ years blends). Guaranteed. I've been drinking them since mid '80s and can highly recommend them. Even their "bottom end" is way above the best of the big houses.
That's interesting. I am not much a Cognac person, however, I do indulge on occasion. I don't have a bottle at this time, but there is a Cognac from Spain that I really enjoy, however, I do not recall the name of it exactly. It's something like El Presidente, etc. My son usually picks it up for me in the Chicago area and brings a bottle in when he comes to visit.

Are the designations only used on the French Cognacs?
Old 03-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #16
adampc22

[quote=JohnnyFlake;284057]That's interesting. I am not much a Cognac person, however, I do indulge on occasion. I don't have a bottle at this time, but there is a Cognac from Spain that I really enjoy, however, I do not recall the name of it exactly. It's something like El Presidente, etc. My son usually picks it up for me in the Chicago area and brings a bottle in when he comes to visit.

Are the designations only used on the French Cognacs?[/QUOTE

brandy made in Spanish town of Jerez can be called cognac but only brandy from there outside jerez its called brandy
Old 03-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #17
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Okay, this thread is taking a cognac turn, so I will ask a question... I'm a very big fan of scotch. Scotch and gin are generally my two favorite libations. I am interested in trying a cognac (or brandy). Is there a reasonably priced, reasonably available cognac someone could recommend? I would hate to buy something that is subpar leading me to swear off cognac in the future. TYIA!
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:33 AM   #18
adampc22

try Courvoisier or martell thay are my favs i am a big cognac drinker
Old 03-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #19
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
Okay, this thread is taking a cognac turn, so I will ask a question... I'm a very big fan of scotch. Scotch and gin are generally my two favorite libations. I am interested in trying a cognac (or brandy). Is there a reasonably priced, reasonably available cognac someone could recommend? I would hate to buy something that is subpar leading me to swear off cognac in the future. TYIA!
Any Pierre Ferrand that matches your wallet is a welcome choice. At $40 or $500, each bottle is a relatvie bragain and a sound decision.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #20
TheRiddick
Non-believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampc22 View Post
try Courvoisier or martell thay are my favs i am a big cognac drinker
Nothing personal, but they are the two brands I would NEVER recommend. Courvoisier is nothing but a oak extract, rough and one dimensional. Martell, only in its XO guise, could be enjoyable and still, too much oak and color addition for me.

Remy is the only big house I can ever tolerate, less oak and more fruit definition. But its like saying bundle cigars are great, its still am industrial size production.

Small houses are the way to go, until you try some you will never know what Cognac truly is.