Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 09-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #21
Smokin0808
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Smokin0808 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help me pick first humi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill View Post
I couldn't agree more. Many folk are perfectly happy to keep their smokes in plastic. Others, like myself, prefer wood. Both work from a utility standpoint, and dollar wise you can get a lot more plastic for your money. But wood has soul. A cooler or wineador is simply functional.

While I have a cabinet for bulk storage, I have two wooden humidors I use for singles. One is a smaller cherry wood unit my wife gave me around twenty years ago. It gets used every day, sits on my desk, and is displayed with pride. It's probably around a 75 count.

Then I have a 350 count on the credenza behind my desk I use for NCs. Decent looking unit I've had for seven years or so. It's just now starting to acquire the lovely smell that older, well used cedar lined humidors have.

So while many prefer plastic, there are also those of us who enjoy a traditional humidor. If you fall into the second camp, buy a good one you'll be proud of in the decades to come.
I think I'll definitely need something with a key, if I plan to keep it for years to come. However, price is still a concern. My favorite is still this:

https://www.cigarextras.com/product/...umidors-Medium

And if not the Thompson's X-Factor, may this:

http://www.premiumhumidors.com/shop/...x-humidor.html
Smokin0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #22
Zane
Have My Own Room

First Name: Zane
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Zane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura about

Reasonable price and holds a good amount.

http://www.cheaphumidors.com/p_mediu...HUM-100DC.html

I bought my desktop from them. Works great.

COO BlindMan's Puff
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #23
quackman
Just in from the Storm

quackman is on a distinguished road

Looks like this sale ends tonight, but I got this one's metal variant earlier this week: http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewciga...=831&scSlide=1

I don't need a lock and wanted a nice, clean design, a bit bigger than my starter humidor (Cigar.com's 1st time-customer 30 dollar sampler+humidor deal). I figure it's unique--tried googling for more info on this, no info. But it's made by Colibri so it must be halfway decent functionally. It looks great--real thick metal strip, deep+nice polish on the piano-black parts.
I also do recommend their starter humidor+sampler for 30 bucks; it's served me well in the past year.
quackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #24
sigsauer
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (63)
Partagas
sigsauer has a spectacular aura aboutsigsauer has a spectacular aura aboutsigsauer has a spectacular aura about

don't walk....run away from this insane hobby as fast as you can....
sigsauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #25
Smokin0808
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackman View Post
Looks like this sale ends tonight, but I got this one's metal variant earlier this week: http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewciga...=831&scSlide=1

I don't need a lock and wanted a nice, clean design, a bit bigger than my starter humidor (Cigar.com's 1st time-customer 30 dollar sampler+humidor deal). I figure it's unique--tried googling for more info on this, no info. But it's made by Colibri so it must be halfway decent functionally. It looks great--real thick metal strip, deep+nice polish on the piano-black parts.
I also do recommend their starter humidor+sampler for 30 bucks; it's served me well in the past year.
That certainly looks nice, but I don't believe my state laws allow the purchase of cigars online (Utah). Anyone able to review this humidor?

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=M-CGHUM1
Old 09-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #26
quackman
Just in from the Storm

quackman is on a distinguished road

I'm no expert, but if it's anything like this one http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=M-SH40-1 then it should be fine. That's the one I got with their starter combo pack about a year ago. The one you linked to has different hinges, dunno if that matters. It's much cheaper but that's probably because it's smaller. I like the fact that the page mentions a "magnetic seal," and it's got the wood-overlaps (dunno the technical term for it, the bits that stick out to help make a good seal) that are on any good humidor. I also like that it doesn't have an analog hygrometer slapped on, which I've always heard are inaccurate and just add clutter.
Cigar.com has always seemed to be good site, so I'd imagine it's a fine humidor and a good deal.
quackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #27
bigfeller677
Just in from the Storm

bigfeller677 is on a distinguished road

Dolce Sogni High Gloss Black Humidor 75 Count with Digital Hygrometer Way to expensive. you dont need to spend alot of money to get a good humidor. Dont forget ALOT OF THESE HUMIDOR COMPANIES GET THEM FROM THE SAME DISTRIBUTOR "CHINA." Keep searching online and try to be patient. dont forget a good digital hygrometer $19.00 and a 65% Boveda pack
bigfeller677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #28
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfeller677 View Post
Dolce Sogni High Gloss Black Humidor 75 Count with Digital Hygrometer Way to expensive. you dont need to spend alot of money to get a good humidor. Dont forget ALOT OF THESE HUMIDOR COMPANIES GET THEM FROM THE SAME DISTRIBUTOR "CHINA." Keep searching online and try to be patient. dont forget a good digital hygrometer $19.00 and a 65% Boveda pack
Uh.....O.K.

Welcome to Cigar Asylum.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #29
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

A Lot Of BOTL's Like This One:
http://www.cheaphumidors.com/p_HUM-4...mpaign=froogle

Good Value For Your Money!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #30
Smokin0808
Just in from the Storm

Update:
I went ahead and bought the Onyx humidor. For me, it was the right combination of price, size, looks, and options. I'm just hoping it has a decent seal to maintain my stogies. I'll update as soon as I receive it.
On another note, I received my lighter. Seems good, and as long as it lasts I'm sure I'll be very happy with it. May even buy another in a few months to keep one at home and one on me. I've got a cutter, and want to try an inexpensive punch. I think I'm all set, or am I?
Old 09-11-2013, 11:13 PM   #31
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Congratulations!

Some advice from a FOG. Take your time seasoning your new humi. There is no need to rush and the more thorough you are up front the easier things will be later on.

There are lots of threads on this topic and this is a good one to start with: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=620

Patience is a key element of taking care of your cigars.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:39 AM   #32
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin0808 View Post
I think I'm all set, or am I?
you should go ahead and order another one twice it's size, you'll thank me later
Old 09-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #33
Smokin0808
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
you should go ahead and order another one twice it's size, you'll thank me later
I will one day. It will be made by Coleman.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #34
pkny1
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Pete
pkny1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
years to fill even a 50 stick humidor.
Years to spend.. $100 ? I mean, if you approach cbid right, you'll have 50 sticks in 20 minutes.. and a 50-count may only actually hold 40 or so.

I'm relatively new to all this myself.. (few months)... I have a 20-count and a 50-count from CigarsInt'l. Actually bid on them for half price on Cigarbid and won 'em. They're working alright. Nothing has been ruined yet and everything seems to be burning OK for me.

They're nothing fancy, but serve their purpose. After reading through numerous cigar forums.. I've decided that I'll hold onto these because they prevent me from spending too much $$$ on cigars.. but soon enough a wineador will come into the mix. Actually found some used wine-coolers on Craigslist cheaper than Coleman's in Walmart.

Oh.. what I bought was the Yukon and the Fireside.
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/h...midor/#p-94335
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/h...herry-humidor/
Old 09-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #35
Smokin0808
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkny1 View Post
Years to spend.. $100 ? I mean, if you approach cbid right, you'll have 50 sticks in 20 minutes.. and a 50-count may only actually hold 40 or so.]
I only smoke occasionally, so it will take me a while to fill it up. Also, I'm still trying to find if can make purchases online legally. So, cigarbid or monster may not actually be an option. If I can, a cooler will be in order, once I find a couple sticks I really enjoy.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #36
stevef2005
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (4)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
stevef2005 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJarv View Post
If you think that you are going to fall down this crazy slope that most of us experience then I suggest looking at larger humidors. My first humi was the Treasuredome (250 count), and I outgrew it in 3 months. Just something to consider.

Out of those I like the maple one.

Ill agree there. I have a feeling my 300 count will be full before I know it.
stevef2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #37
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Also, I'm still trying to find if can make purchases online legally.
Why wouldn't you be able to? Are you underage?
Old 09-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #38
Smokin0808
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Why wouldn't you be able to? Are you underage?
Utah tobacco and alcohol laws are pretty wacky.