Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-03-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
wolfandwhisky is on a distinguished road
Default Fuente Magnum R

The Fuente Magnum R held a consistent flavor profile throughout the burn, and was grounded in almond, creme, and vanilla.

Burn was smooth, draw was easy, wrapper was not particularly oily.

I posted my notes here, and I've copied the text below (pics at site):

A good BOTL had pointed me in the direction of a new shop, and on my inaugural visit I decided to grab a couple of the new Arturo Fuente Magnum R cigars.

These were released, with seemingly unnoticeable fanfare, around the end of 2009 (a number of places received their initial ‘teaser’ stock around Christmastime). The Magnum R comes in three sizes, and the stick I burned for this review was the Magnum 56, which measures at 5 5/8ths x 56.

On to the notes:
Construction: The stick is a good size. The band looks great with a bold color scheme, and it serves as a nice variation from the traditional Fuente band. There were two noticeable veins in the wrapper, which was not very oily. The lack of apparent oils made me do a double take at my humidity out of fear of having dried it out. Fear not, though – the humidity was a-ok. All in, it is visually imposing but not intimidating. The prelight smell was very fresh, almost fragrant with hints of almond.

The draw was a little tight up front, so I punched a bigger hole and the draw fixed right up – my bad for using such a small punch on such a large ring gauge, I guess. It started burning a little uneven right out of the gate, but corrected immediately after the first inch. After correcting the burn and the draw, the smoke was voluminous and white. Ash fell off in about 1 inch segments.

Initial Flavors: The immediate notes were of hazelnut and nutmeg – reminded me of the nut bowl set out at Christmastime. After getting it going, hints of cream started to enter the picture. These nut and cream notes combined wonderfully to create an almond toffee flavor. At this point, all I could ask for was some chocolate and I’d have Almond Roca!

But, chocolate was not to be found. The sweetness did increase though, almost from a syrup. The flavor transitioned nicely to a caramelized almond, with hints of spice entering the background.

Continuing Flavors: After about the first third, I started picking up notes of vanilla. The range of flavors in this blend all work well together, making it very enjoyable.

After the first half, the almonds and cream return as the predominant set of flavors, and the vanilla faded in and out, like a subtle ribbon of flavor.

Towards the end, the medium bodied side of this cigar really started to poke through, with some mild pepper and spice – but they did not overwhelm the continuation of the almond dominance.

With Whisky: N/A – Water only, but will certainly have to revisit this.

This is definitely a stick I’d reach for again. The flavor profile doesn’t change much over time, sticking with the almond, creme, and vanilla them. The consistency isn’t a fault, though, as the flavors are very balanced and complementary. I could see this stick working really well at a poker game.

For my initial rating, this stick is a solid 8.5, with potential upon further review to move to a 9. To make that jump, though, I’d need something new from this stick. While it is an enjoyable, consistent stick with a great flavor profile, nothing jumped to make it really say “Wow!”, and that is what I think might be there, and what I think would bump this to a 9.

Regret the Purchase: No.
Buy Another Single: Yes.
Buy a Box: Seriously Considering It.
wolfandwhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
SkinsFanLarry

Default Re: Fuente Magnum R

Very nice review Matt!

I'm not a Fuente Fan and I really like this cigar!
Old 04-04-2010, 07:39 AM   #3
1badhog07
Still Watching My Back

First Name: gustavo
Trading: (2)
HdM
1badhog07 is on a distinguished road

nice review mr.matt..
Old 04-04-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
pitbulljimmy

Well done in depth review Matt.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:33 AM   #5
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

Cohiba

glad everyone enjoyed the review.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
maverickdrinker
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: art
Trading: (15)
Cohiba
maverickdrinker will become famous soon enoughmaverickdrinker will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review. Have one in the humi; just looking for the right time to fire it up
maverickdrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #7
GHC_Hambone

Thanks for the review. Never heard of this cigar but sounds like I would enjoy it, I'll have to look next time I am at a B&M.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:59 PM   #8
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

Cohiba

Maverick - I'd say light it up at a time where the cigar will enhance the experience... poker, while reading a book, watching a game, etc. The stick is consistent enough to where you don't have to really focus on it, and pleasant enough to where you can enjoy it under pretty much any circumstances.

Joe - I'd take a look for it for sure. I am really trying to control my "wallet outflows" and not run and pick up two boxes. It was just a really enjoyable stick - and while it was medium-bodied, the impact from the flavor was greater.

One thing I forgot to add to this review was that the finish was really long!
Old 04-06-2010, 11:56 PM   #9
scoot
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Pat
Trading: (0)
scoot is on a distinguished road

I just grabbed a box of these, they're great and along the lines of how you described them.
scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:11 AM   #10
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough

Well done, I have one of these in my humidor from a cigar pass and I keep putting off smoking it. Thanks for the review. And, would you say its Mild/Medium or a solid Med?
Old 04-07-2010, 06:17 AM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't heard of this cigar at all. I'm gonna go take a look. Thank You!!!
Old 04-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #12
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

Cohiba

matthewjmichael - personally, I find them to start off more mild/medium and ending up at medium. I've seen some people describe them as a full medium, but you really only get that at the end.

shilala - I would definitely take a look - they are really enjoyable, and at the price, I'm finding a hard time arranging a reason not to go buy a box or two.

Follow Up: I had another one of these last night at a poker game... it was definitely a good smoke, same flavor profile as I originally noted, and as suspected, worked well. The flavor doesn't change much over time, making it a stick that is enjoyable especially if your attention is elsewhere.

Last edited by wolfandwhisky; 04-07-2010 at 12:21 PM. Reason: added follow up commentary
Old 04-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #13
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

Cohiba

Alright... broke down and got a box of the 52s and half a dozen of the 54s...