Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 01-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #1
Springsman

Default Cool site/idea

Now THIS is a coool site...they let you pick and choose single beers to create your own 6pk/12pk/24 cases of beer and ship them to you or to a person you happen to want to bomb...uh I mean send a gift too
They also have some petty cool beer swag...I love the nostalgic growlers!

halftimebeverage dot com.

Anyone use them or one like them?
Old 01-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Cool site/idea

Cool site Robert, Thanks!
Old 01-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

This is pretty cool site, I like their search features--you can even search for beer by ABV

Prices & selection looks reasonable (still no Russian River, dangit--no Pliny ) I haven't checked shipping costs

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
This is pretty cool site, I like their search features--you can even search for beer by ABV

Prices & selection looks reasonable (still no Russian River, dangit--no Pliny ) I haven't checked shipping costs
Ha!

That was the first brewery and beer I went looking for too.

I live less than 100 miles from the brewery by road - much closer if you drew a straight line, and I can't even get Pliny in the stores around here right now.

I agree, the prices I looked at seem about in line with the store pricing of the same beer - maybe $0.20-$0.30/bottle (12oz) higher for the ones I recognize the pricing on, up to about a buck higher for the under $10 bombers, $2 higher on the over $10 bombers.

Some of the foreign beer selections are kind of pathetic though.

Didn't look at shipping either.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
Springsman

Shipping's tough, like they say on the site, you have to get the case to really get any break on shipping, due to the weight you're just not going to get a great total price shipping a 6 pack... but...duh...the point is trying to get something out of the ordinary that you can't readily get in a lot of stores... so it's a toss up.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springsman View Post
Shipping's tough, like they say on the site, you have to get the case to really get any break on shipping, due to the weight you're just not going to get a great total price shipping a 6 pack... but...duh...the point is trying to get something out of the ordinary that you can't readily get in a lot of stores... so it's a toss up.
I agree, for people who live in areas where getting the microbrews and some of the foreign beers isn't possible, it's a great site.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
Springsman

I'm going to have to check out this Pliny & Russian River you guys have mentioned....
Old 01-05-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

Pliny The Elder is great, ill have to get some later.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #9
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
ODLS1 is on a distinguished road

3 Floyds Dreadnaught > RR Pliny the Elder

ODLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:04 PM   #10
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Pliny The Elder is one of best double IPAs made.

Hopefully this February, I can hook up with Scott, Brian, Mike, Kriss and Brent at the RR brewery for the very, very short period of time that Pliny the Younger is available on tap (triple IPA - IIRC, Scott said it lasts about a day or two on tap and then they're sold out for the year)

Last edited by T.G; 01-05-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #11
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
This.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:44 PM   #12
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Re: Pliny, the best I've been able to do is find clone recipes to make it myself, but I'd love to get a legitimate bottle as a benchmark.

Guess I have to be content with DFH 90 & Maharaja until I can make a trip out west.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #13
jesseboston81
CC Simple PIF Promoter

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (41)
Bolivar
jesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nice

Nice site, I looked around and didn't see anything about not shipping to Massachusetts. I thought our laws here kept all alcohol shipments out, but maybe it's just hard liquor. I need to check that, but if they can ship to me, awesome!
Old 01-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #14
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back

Quote:

Hopefully this February, I can hook up with Scott, Brian, Mike, Kriss and Brent at the RR brewery for the very, very short period of time that Pliny the Younger is available on tap (triple IPA - IIRC, Scott said it lasts about a day or two on tap and then they're sold out for the year)
So is Dreadnaught. I've had both. Elder didn't live up to the hype. Very good, but overhyped IMO. I'd take a Dreadnaught over Elder any day.

BA and RB ratings I take with a pile of salt. Soo many beers are overrated (3F included) simply because of hype and limited availability, while there are some more easily accessible beers that don't rate well simply because of that, when they are fantastic beers. I've met a number of people big in the communities on there, many of which were snobby douchebags, so it all makes sense. I feel most people on there don't even know much about beer, just that limited stuff is awesome. Now I'm not saying this is true for everyone, but it is prevalent. (just a rant I decided to throw in there, not directed toward anyone)

Of course, my IIPA is the best in the world . Just finished the boil, cooling down now. Can't wait!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #15
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODLS1 View Post
So is Dreadnaught. I've had both. Elder didn't live up to the hype. Very good, but overhyped IMO. I'd take a Dreadnaught over Elder any day.

BA and RB ratings I take with a pile of salt. Soo many beers are overrated (3F included) simply because of hype and limited availability, while there are some more easily accessible beers that don't rate well simply because of that, when they are fantastic beers. I've met a number of people big in the communities on there, many of which were snobby douchebags, so it all makes sense. I feel most people on there don't even know much about beer, just that limited stuff is awesome. Now I'm not saying this is true for everyone, but it is prevalent. (just a rant I decided to throw in there, not directed toward anyone)

Of course, my IIPA is the best in the world . Just finished the boil, cooling down now. Can't wait!
I don't think there's any question that both are excellent beers, but the conversation was about Pliny, not a debate about which is the best double IPA.

If you prefer Dreadnought that's great. Some people like Cuban cigars, some people like Dominican cigars, some like Nicaraguan, some like Honduran. There's plenty of room for all of them and "best" is often relative to the tastes of the person bestowing that rating.

As for BA - whatever. I grabbed that link so Robert could read a few flavor descriptions of the beer other than those published by the brewer.

Last edited by T.G; 01-05-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #16
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
I don't think there's any question that both are excellent beers, but the conversation was about Pliny, not a debate about which is the best double IPA.

If you prefer Dreadnought that's great. Some people like Cuban cigars, some people like Dominican cigars, some like Nicaraguan, some like Honduran. There's plenty of room for all of them and "best" is often relative to the tastes of the person bestowing that rating.

As for BA - whatever. I grabbed that link so Robert could read a few flavor descriptions of the beer other than those published by the brewer.
Well your post was made right after mine, implying it was a response to mine with the way it was worded, so I replied back. Yes I know people have different tastes and opinions, and I threw mine out there. Apparently I seemed to have inadvertently struck a nerve while doing so. I wasn't trying to start anything, but apparently this is serious business. As for BA (again I just felt like ranting about it, wasn't directed toward you), You can't deny that many beers are overrated and that certain things skew ratings. I would love to do blind side by side ratings with certain styles and certain reviewers.

Anyway, back on track..
Old 01-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #17
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Well your post was made right after mine, implying it was a response to mine with the way it was worded, so I replied back. Yes I know people have different tastes and opinions, and I threw mine out there. Apparently I seemed to have inadvertently struck a nerve while doing so. I wasn't trying to start anything, but apparently this is serious business. As for BA (again I just felt like ranting about it, wasn't directed toward you), You can't deny that many beers are overrated and that certain things skew ratings. I would love to do blind side by side ratings with certain styles and certain reviewers.

Anyway, back on track..
Nah bro, if I was replying to you, I would have quoted you, we just posted at almost the same time.

Nerve? Me? Not at all. You're the one who went on a rant, remember? Seems the inadvertent timing of my post and the link to BA for flavor reviews hit a nerve with you, for which I apologize.

Drink what you like, like what you drink, and I'd go out drinking and beer sampling with you anyday.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:16 AM   #18
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back

Hah it's all good. Mis-communication of sort I guess, with posting at the same time. The BA thing is more of an annoyance, and I tend to rant about things that annoy me if they come up, especially since I work at a beer store and visit other beer store / beer bars and see these people a lot.

Are you in CA? Maybe we could arrange a trade of sorts sometime, and we could lay to rest once and for all that the best IIPA is..... mine . Check the homebrew thread for beers I'll be brewing soon, and commercial beers could be arranged, but further discussion should be via PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:09 AM   #19
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

I like the idea of being able to order beers from my couch, but at almost $30 to ship a case I am not going to do it. That's pricey, and I live within a days drive of the place. I've got more beers than I can try here, maybe once I make it through those...
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:30 AM   #20
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

Quote:
Are you in CA? Maybe we could arrange a trade of sorts sometime, and we could lay to rest once and for all that the best IIPA is..... mine . Check the homebrew thread for beers I'll be brewing soon, and commercial beers could be arranged, but further discussion should be via PM.
Hey, I want in! Three of my most recent DIPAs have already been making the rounds here at CA in various unsuspecting packages