Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 04-13-2017, 08:25 AM   #1
av8tor152d
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jason
Trading: (21)
RA Army (Disabled Vet)
av8tor152d will become famous soon enoughav8tor152d will become famous soon enough
Default Vinotemp Fans

I have had two vinotemps for a few years now, I used to use the oust battery powered fans in them to circulate air...all of those have come to an end as well. What are folks using these days for small fans in the vinos?

Last edited by av8tor152d; 04-13-2017 at 08:31 AM.
av8tor152d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:38 AM   #2
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: Vinotemp Fans

I had a vinotemp back in the day. I guess I was lucky cause it lasted quite a few years. The cooling element went out, which is the downfall I am told. It's almost as much to replace the element as the whole think costed.

I was able to buy a frigidaire compressor driven model for $100 and with Shilala's help I wired three computer fans to blow at about a 45 degree angle down the evaporator and put a temp control unit in it and voila, rock steady for over 2 years.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:42 AM   #3
av8tor152d
Have My Own Room

RA Army (Disabled Vet)
av8tor152d will become famous soon enoughav8tor152d will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by G G View Post
I had a vinotemp back in the day. I guess I was lucky cause it lasted quite a few years. The cooling element went out, which is the downfall I am told. It's almost as much to replace the element as the whole think costed.

I was able to buy a frigidaire compressor driven model for $100 and with Shilala's help I wired three computer fans to blow at about a 45 degree angle down the evaporator and put a temp control unit in it and voila, rock steady for over 2 years.
yeah my cooling element has long been out, I keep them in the back room of the house that never gets over 67 degrees so temp isn't an issue, not really wanting to mess with replacing that as I got the Vinos on sale for 49.99 both back in the day. I may look at wiring a couple PC fans into them but was hoping to find a battery type small fan like the old Oust fans..not paying the 45.00 on most sites that I can find them still lol.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:49 AM   #4
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

I remember looking for a battery powered replacement years ago and couldn't find anything (reasonably priced). I actually made one as a project way back when as part of my electronics lab in school that runs off a 9v, the design was good but I ****ed up one solder and it never really worked consistently. If I were to do it now I'd probably run wire to computer fans like Greg.

But, I don't bother with that stuff any more, I have enough holes and air paths built into my shelves so air flow isn't an issue, at least one that I've noticed
Old 04-13-2017, 08:50 AM   #5
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8tor152d View Post
yeah my cooling element has long been out, I keep them in the back room of the house that never gets over 67 degrees so temp isn't an issue, not really wanting to mess with replacing that as I got the Vinos on sale for 49.99 both back in the day. I may look at wiring a couple PC fans into them but was hoping to find a battery type small fan like the old Oust fans..not paying the 45.00 on most sites that I can find them still lol.
I would prolly be still using mine if I could keep it that cool, but in Florida it wasn't an option Jason.

G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:52 AM   #6
av8tor152d
Have My Own Room

RA Army (Disabled Vet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
I remember looking for a battery powered replacement years ago and couldn't find anything (reasonably priced). I actually made one as a project way back when as part of my electronics lab in school that runs off a 9v, the design was good but I ****ed up one solder and it never really worked consistently. If I were to do it now I'd probably run wire to computer fans like Greg.

But, I don't bother with that stuff any more, I have enough holes and air paths built into my shelves so air flow isn't an issue, at least one that I've noticed
One of the Vinos has no issues with airflow, the other one though has a set of Scotts drawers in them from back in the day and there is a noticeable difference in humidity throughout, although you have given me an idea that I may make some larger vent holes in the back of the drawers to help circulation.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2017, 08:53 AM   #7
av8tor152d
Have My Own Room

RA Army (Disabled Vet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G G View Post
I would prolly be still using mine if I could keep it that cool, but in Florida it wasn't an option Jason.

Oh here in Bama it is not much better but the back room only gets about an hour of morning sun on it, and is under several trees so it stays very cool year round.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:55 AM   #8
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

If I remember later on I'll try to snap some pictures of my single shelves, they're designed for airflow and are awesome. I have a few other flat shelves that are more for 5 finger bags and coffins, and I literally took a 1" drill bit and cut all sorts of holes in them. not pretty, but work well
Old 04-13-2017, 08:57 AM   #9
av8tor152d
Have My Own Room

RA Army (Disabled Vet)

Quote:
If I remember later on I'll try to snap some pictures of my single shelves, they're designed for airflow and are awesome. I have a few other flat shelves that are more for 5 finger bags and coffins, and I literally took a 1" drill bit and cut all sorts of holes in them. not pretty, but work well
Sweet thanks man, I am actually debating on starting to craft my own shelves, I love the ones Scott made but now that I have more free time I am getting back into woodworking and might actually start making such things to order as well.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:03 AM   #10
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Mine were a one-off production, I had some customers at the old shop who had a family cabinet making business and a full workshop at their disposal, I gave them my empty vino, a few ideas and a handful of smokes and they came back with something perfect for my needs
Old 04-13-2017, 09:06 AM   #11
av8tor152d
Have My Own Room

RA Army (Disabled Vet)

Quote:
Mine were a one-off production, I had some customers at the old shop who had a family cabinet making business and a full workshop at their disposal, I gave them my empty vino, a few ideas and a handful of smokes and they came back with something perfect for my needs
Awesome can't wait to see pics!
Old 04-13-2017, 09:10 AM   #12
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8tor152d View Post
Awesome can't wait to see pics!
Dang.. that means I'll actually have to follow through with taking them
Old 04-13-2017, 09:15 AM   #13
av8tor152d
Have My Own Room

RA Army (Disabled Vet)

Quote:
Dang.. that means I'll actually have to follow through with taking them
Well the more pics I have the more ideas I have, it makes it easier to justify purchasing more power tools to the wife.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #14
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I use these RV refrigerator fans: http://www.rvplus.com/valterra-fridg...All%20Products

As long as you remember to check the batteries every once in awhile, they work great!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:01 AM   #15
av8tor152d
Have My Own Room

RA Army (Disabled Vet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
I use these RV refrigerator fans: http://www.rvplus.com/valterra-fridg...All%20Products

As long as you remember to check the batteries every once in awhile, they work great!
Awesome thanks for the info, they look to be about the same size as the old Oust fans from what I can tell.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:29 PM   #16
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

You can get little surplus fans cheaply: https://www.sciplus.com/s/c_15/sf_140
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:32 PM   #17
av8tor152d
Have My Own Room

RA Army (Disabled Vet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
You can get little surplus fans cheaply: https://www.sciplus.com/s/c_15/sf_140
Sweet, I think I am going see if I can actually make a set of drawers/shelves that incorporate fans like that.