Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 12-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #741
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Re: Homebrewers - Whats in the fermeter?

I had to grab a pound of amber spraymalt that wasn't in the kit I got the other day and decided to pick this up to get going as a 6 week beer while the first one is finished and consumed.
From the descriptions, it looks to be pretty far up my tastebud alley.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/b...tract-kit.html
Old 12-13-2011, 05:31 PM   #742
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

Made a dark IPA that was ready in time for halloween. Grain bill looked similar, but my hops were entirely different. Love the style as a winter IPA. Mine's almost gone, I could do a similar hop lineup but I'd have to substitute the cascades.

My wee heavy's been pushing through the blowoff tube for 5 days now. Kind of unreal, but i screwed up the water volumes and wound up with a lot more in the carboy than I'd typically like to see. At least I planned for it...
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:20 AM   #743
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Well, 15 hours after the boil, I have a nice foamy cap in the fermenter on the Single Hop Best Bitter. The fermenter is in my utility room, and it is just a bit above 60-62 in there, but the yeast looks happy enough, as I was ready to move it to a slightly warmer location if it got a slow start. The Fuggle hops smell pretty damn amazing.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #744
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Sounds good!!!!! I am stoked to get my brew on this Friday. Ended up with the Surly Furious clone afterall.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #745
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Sounds good!!!!! I am stoked to get my brew on this Friday. Ended up with the Surly Furious clone afterall.
Furious is one of my favorite beers. Huge grapefruit finish on it, which sounds odd, but I find delicious.
Northern Brewer has some "Pro Kits" (mfr. supplied and blessed recipes) which I may play with some day. I have a buddy who loves the Smoke, as I do, and it may be a great way to surprise him with a few growlers.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/b...rly-brewing-co
I noticed they were out of stock on the Furious kit.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #746
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Mine is called Furious IPA. It is from Midwest brewing and was developed with the folks at Surly. I agree on the big grapefruit finish. The Lagunitas Holiday Ale is the same way. Like biting into a grapefruit. I'd like to add something to sweeten this one up a little. Any ideas?
Old 12-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #747
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Mine is called Furious IPA. It is from Midwest brewing and was developed with the folks at Surly. I agree on the big grapefruit finish. The Lagunitas Holiday Ale is the same way. Like biting into a grapefruit. I'd like to add something to sweeten this one up a little. Any ideas?
Double the crystal malt, and split the Warrior infusion into 1/2oz for 60, 1/2oz for 45. That will cut down on the overall IBUs without affecting the hop flavor/aroma, and the crystal will give you additional sweetness. If you're really looking to change it up, you can also substitute the dry yeast that comes with the kit for something that's a bit less attenuative, which is going to leave more maltiness in the beer. Maybe White Labs #002 English Ale, instead of the #007 Dry English Ale it suggests.

Last edited by kaisersozei; 12-15-2011 at 09:49 AM.
kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #748
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

First Name: Scott
Trading: (15)
Partagas
cobra03 will become famous soon enoughcobra03 will become famous soon enough

Ive been lurking around this tread for awhile. Ive been wanting to delve into home brewing and just found out by accident mind you that my wife bought me a start up home brewing kit for Christmas. Freakin sweet. love that woman!! I may be on here asking a few questions as im a newb to this. Looks like theres alot of pros on here to gain info from.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #749
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra03 View Post
Ive been lurking around this tread for awhile. Ive been wanting to delve into home brewing and just found out by accident mind you that my wife bought me a start up home brewing kit for Christmas. Freakin sweet. love that woman!! I may be on here asking a few questions as im a newb to this. Looks like theres alot of pros on here to gain info from.
Awesome! It's really a lot of fun.

I accidentally stumbled across the wort chiller my girlfriend got for me for Christmas. So now I want to wait to brew any more until after Christmas and I can use it!
Old 12-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #750
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

First Name: Scott
Trading: (15)
Partagas
cobra03 will become famous soon enoughcobra03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricky101 View Post
Awesome! It's really a lot of fun.

I accidentally stumbled across the wort chiller my girlfriend got for me for Christmas. So now I want to wait to brew any more until after Christmas and I can use it!
lol i was alerted to it when my wife got a letter from Mr.Beer. i dont think its a super fancy set up but that fine she went out on her own and got it which is awesome. Plus it seems pretty good to just get my feet wet and see if i want to slide farther down another slope.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:58 PM   #751
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
Double the crystal malt, and split the Warrior infusion into 1/2oz for 60, 1/2oz for 45. That will cut down on the overall IBUs without affecting the hop flavor/aroma, and the crystal will give you additional sweetness. If you're really looking to change it up, you can also substitute the dry yeast that comes with the kit for something that's a bit less attenuative, which is going to leave more maltiness in the beer. Maybe White Labs #002 English Ale, instead of the #007 Dry English Ale it suggests.
Damn. You are like a mad scientist.

Which is the crystal malt? The Gold Extract (6lb), the Amber extract (3.3lb) or the bag o grains?

Also, here is the hop recipe
1oz each of Warrior, Amarillo and Citra for the boil
1oz each of Ahtanum, Amarillo and Citra for the dry hop after a week.

There is a homebrew store up the road if you think I should get something else to add in. I need a hop sack and sanitizer anyway.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:38 AM   #752
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Damn. You are like a mad scientist.

Which is the crystal malt? The Gold Extract (6lb), the Amber extract (3.3lb) or the bag o grains?

Also, here is the hop recipe
1oz each of Warrior, Amarillo and Citra for the boil
1oz each of Ahtanum, Amarillo and Citra for the dry hop after a week.

There is a homebrew store up the road if you think I should get something else to add in. I need a hop sack and sanitizer anyway.
Hmm, I must have been looking at a different kit, I thought yours had 4oz of crystal? It would be in the bag of grains, so just pick up 4oz of crystal from your homebrew store. If they ask, get either the 40L or 60L (lovibond), that way it won't impact your color as much.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:36 PM   #753
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

So I smacked my wyeast packet earlier to make sure it was viable. Then I got sidetracked and never started brewing. Now it is completely swollen. Is it OK to leave it overnight now? The bag won't pop in the middle of the night will it?
Old 12-16-2011, 09:44 PM   #754
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

Quote:
So I smacked my wyeast packet earlier to make sure it was viable. Then I got sidetracked and never started brewing. Now it is completely swollen. Is it OK to leave it overnight now? The bag won't pop in the middle of the night will it?
It won't burst, it is good for a day or three is my understanding.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:44 PM   #755
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

NM....looks like it needs to go back in the fridge until tomorrow.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #756
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

Quote:
NM....looks like it needs to go back in the fridge until tomorrow.
You can leave it out, the yeast will be happy doing it's happy yeasty thing.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #757
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

Sweet. Everything is laid out and ready to go tomorrow. OH YEAH!
Old 12-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #758
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

ANNNND.....we're off!!! Grains are steeping
Old 12-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #759
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

Adding extract!

Old 12-17-2011, 03:03 PM   #760
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

Done. Now it is in primary. ANy suggestions on how to get it into the secondary next saturday and leave the trub behind? I will be dry hopping in the secondary.