Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Reviews

Old 05-10-2011, 07:46 AM   #1
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Presbyterian Mixture

Anybody here smoke much Presbyterian Mixture? I got a few tins on sale once, mostly a witty
gesture for next time I am with my sister, who is a Presbyterian Minister, and a damn fine one at that.
I can read reviews and get a good look at a steak, but I find that with cigars or pipe tobacco, I get a
better review here. (I had heard that the Montecristo D EL was a rocket, but here it gets stellar
reviews.) I am trying to avoid opening the tin, I have so much different tobacco open at present.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
OnlyDryReds
Driving around aimlessly

First Name: Rob
Trading: (12)
Trinidad
OnlyDryReds is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Presbyterian Mixture

Dont know yet... It is in my sample from Andrew and I havent gotten that far into the bag of them yet, but maybe after work today......
OnlyDryReds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Two big thumbs up. I am a big fan of English blends and this is a good one, even though I find it fairly mild for an English (light on the Latakia) it is still complex, due to what I think is some perique.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Anybody here smoke much Presbyterian Mixture?
Hello Brad,

I haven't tried it myself, but you could probably shoot Dan (Mr.Moo) a PM on that, or, you can go here for a ton of reviews on this blend:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_...PHA=P&TID=1206

They always have a bunch of good reviews for a reference point...

Old 05-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Ah ha, but if you read my original post, I know there are a ton of reviews at that site, but they ring hollow to me in
a lot of cases. A bunch of lip-flapping and parrots in trees. There are some good reviews there, but I like to
read them and temper them with what people say here. Even though this sub-forum moves like molasses in winter,
haha. Plainly and simply, I like what I read here better than what I read there. Some of it is even the same, lol.
Thanks, obviously, but I was thinking more about people here. But NOW, as is clear, that site is going to be my only
shot, hehe.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
OLS
Suck It

Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on that review site. They are usually taken for granted until they disappear.
I have used it extensively, and in the main it has been pretty relevant and helpful.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
OnlyDryReds
Driving around aimlessly

First Name: Rob
Trading: (12)
Trinidad
OnlyDryReds is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
Two big thumbs up. I am a big fan of English blends and this is a good one, even though I find it fairly mild for an English (light on the Latakia) it is still complex, due to what I think is some perique.
Tried Andrews sample yesterday - I agree mild but very nice smoke - even for a noob like me it was very pleasant to smoke - didnt have a real problem with packing or relighting as I have had issue with others. This would def be one I would get again.
OnlyDryReds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:47 AM   #8
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Often a bit wet from the tin it is long deep dark and rich - one of the all time greats. You might want to give a wad of it 30-min dry time before filling a bowl. It can smoke beautifully and be very enjoyable for the latakia lover as it offends everyone else within 100 yards. Something like Squadron Leader on steroids, PM is original -I cannot think of its equal. Seriously consider PM for an english-only pipe or a PM-dedicated pipe if you are fond of it.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:01 PM   #9
Slow Triathlete
I Need A Beer!!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (11)
RA
Slow Triathlete is on a distinguished road

I really, really like it. It has a sweet side to it in my opinion.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #10
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Triathlete View Post
I really, really like it. It has a sweet side to it in my opinion.
Latakia is lighter hear than in many English blends, but it does have a sweetness to it that is pleasant. Also, I do enjoy the complexity. If there is a drawback, it is minor - I find it needs to dry out a bit after opening the tin and before smoking. Of course, there are some who might disagree with me.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #11
fatdog
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Marc
Trading: (0)
Punch
fatdog is on a distinguished road

I find Presby. to be a good morning blend. Not as much latakia as my normal evening blends so it tends to smoke lighter for me. I like it in a meer quite a bit, the flavors tend to come out a bit more.
Peace
Marc
fatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #12
OLS
Suck It

Thanks to all who responded. I am gonna bust the tin tonight.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #13
lilninjabuddy
Cigar Ninja

First Name: Derek
Trading: (2)
Montecristo
lilninjabuddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Thanks to all who responded. I am gonna bust the tin tonight.
...but then deeop down inside, you already knew that before you asked, didn't ya!

I always ask questions like "should I...", and realize later there was no way I wasn't gonna anyway!
Old 04-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #14
OLS
Suck It

For ME, no actually. I can hold onto things for some time and just forget about them.
It is entirely possible that I would have NEVER smoked it. I bought it on a supposed
overstock sale and thought it was kind of funny as my sister is a Presbyterian Minister
in the PCUSA. I wanted to smoke it up and give her the tin. But I was in no hurry.
I have far too much to smoke to open a tin of something. I smoke a pipe infrequently.