Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 10-27-2008, 09:43 AM   #1
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough
Default Problems with Western Caliber III Hygrometer?

I'm wondering if anyone has had problems with their Western Caliber III hygrometer? Mine doesn't seem to be holding at one point.

A little background:

I have 3 storage devices, all with Shilala HCM beads. All have the quantity of beads Scott recommends for the volume of the storage device. In my coolerdor I have an Acu-Rite Digital Hygrometer you can buy at Walmart for about $7 - $8. The coolerdor has 65% beads, and the hydro holds steady at 66%. No problem.

In my flip top mason jar that Shilala bombed me with, there are 67% beads, and a HygroSet Adjustable Digital Hygrometer that Scott calibrated and included with the bomb. It holds at 67% perfectly.

In my desk top, I've got 65% beads and a Western Caliber III hygrometer. When I calibrated the hygrometer doing the salt test, it came in at 62%, and I marked it with a "-3" so I would remember it was 3 percent low. Recently it had been reading 59%, and I assumed I needed to put some moisture back in the humi, so I put some distilled water in one of those black plastic dealies with the green foam inside, and put it in my humi. The hygrometer crept up to 60%, and then dropped back to 59%. Of course this made no sense as I put more moisture in the humi. So I took the HygroSet that I got from Shilala and put it in the humi. After a couple hours it was steady on 65%, just like it should have been since I have 65% beads in there.

So I can only assume that my Western Caliber III is no good since it 1) won't hold at it's normal deviation from the 75% salt test, and 2) dropped back to 59% even though I had added more moisture to the humi.

Do any of you have suggestions or thoughts? Is this Western Caliber III junk? Thanks for your help!
Old 10-27-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
bazookajoe

First Name: david
Trading: (72)
bazookajoe has disabled reputation
Default Re: Problems with Western Caliber III Hygrometer?

How old is the battery? A fading battery can give inaccurate readings.
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

I suppose that's possible, although I've only had the hygrometer for about 2 months. I don't know how fresh the battery was that came with the unit.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:20 AM   #4
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Yeah, you don't how long it was sitting in a warehouse or on the shelf. Sounds like batteries to me. I have four of them and I change batteries every 6-8 months along with the fire alarms.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:23 AM   #5
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

Ok thanks, I'll hit the hardware store later for a new battery.

Will the hygrometer need to be re-calibrated after I change the battery? The instructions say not to do the salt test with the hygrometer. Of course I read the directions AFTER I did the test. I am a man after all.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:14 PM   #6
Waynegro1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Yeah, you don't how long it was sitting in a warehouse or on the shelf. Sounds like batteries to me. I have four of them and I change batteries every 6-8 months along with the fire alarms.

I have 4 or them as well and the only problem I've ever had was battery related. Give it a shot.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:10 PM   #7
DEVILDAWG

I remember BVILCHEZ talking about those. He loves them...matter of fact I ordered 1 as well when I ordered my humi.

Could be a battery talking to some of the guys in the smoke pit. I'm still new to cigars...sorry.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:01 PM   #8
Bubba - NJ
Deep Cherry Finish

First Name: Rolf
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Bubba - NJ is on a distinguished road

I have a few of these as well and only problem I get is a dieing battery . Battery #CR-2032 , just changed 1 only minutes ago and it's the same battery for my car remote key entry .
Bubba - NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:48 AM   #9
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough

You said it read 62% and you marked it as -3% during calibration. The salt test should put you at 75% not 65%, so you are -13%. Was this a typo? -13% of a good digital like a western is not usual.
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:48 AM   #10
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

Good catch Lou, thanks. Yes, it read 72% after the salt test.

By the way, changing the battery seems to have resolved my problem. Thanks to everyone for the good advise.