Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2015, 01:18 PM   #1
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default AT&T dumbphone

Hello friends. I figured I would ask this here since we have so many tech smart people here.

My Dad has finally started living again after the death of my Mom almost three years ago and I am happy that he is. He has met a woman and he and her are travelling up to Maggie Valley where she has a place.

He mentioned to me that he is wanting to get a cell phone so he and I can stay in touch. It will probably be cheaper to just get him a phone and add him to my AT&T service since if you bring your own device and add him to my Mobile Share Value Plan it will be very inexpensive. He is technically challenged and will not need a phone that is even capable of data, but I am pondering if I can teach him how to text. This is a man that doesn't even have internet or a computer so it's not important for him to have data at all. Does anyone know a decently priced so called dumbphone or maybe one of the text/messaging phones available now? Thanks for any help you can give me.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #2
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: AT&T dumbphone

I have an old ATT iPhone 4S. You are welcome to it.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:28 PM   #3
G G
BR549

Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I was trying for a phone that wouldn't require data, but I might just take you up on that Mark. I could TRY to teach him how to use it. LOL. Old dogs can sometimes learn new tricks. I will let you know in the next few days. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #4
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I'll tell ya what, Greg, I don't think your Dad will warm up to text on a dumbphone.
Maybe a full keyboard phone if they even still make them.
My mother-in-law and father-in-law just got and iphone, then an ipad, and then another ipad, and now just another.
They're both 70-something.

An iphone is going to be so easy to teach him how to share text and pictures, and dumbphones aren't. My brother won't even use text on his dumbphone, it takes too long and to him, it's not even worth messing with.

I guess it all depends how much pics and data are worth to you guys, and how much it's gonna cost. I think it's gonna be worth WAY more than the price, my friend.
I hope you can swing it.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:23 PM   #5
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I'll tell ya what, Greg, I don't think your Dad will warm up to text on a dumbphone.
Maybe a full keyboard phone if they even still make them.
My mother-in-law and father-in-law just got and iphone, then an ipad, and then another ipad, and now just another.
They're both 70-something.

An iphone is going to be so easy to teach him how to share text and pictures, and dumbphones aren't. My brother won't even use text on his dumbphone, it takes too long and to him, it's not even worth messing with.

I guess it all depends how much pics and data are worth to you guys, and how much it's gonna cost. I think it's gonna be worth WAY more than the price, my friend.
I hope you can swing it.
I hear ya Scott. I am taking Mark up on the offer of the Iphone 4. It's a good place to start. I really don't think the pictures and picture messages will be something he will use but I hope I am wrong. This is a guy who doesn't use a computer at all. Matter of fact my Mom bought a very nice new computer about 8 month's before she died and after a while he gave it to me bacause mine was a lot older than hers. But it would be cool if I can teach him to text and send photos since it looks like he will be gone a fair amount of time. Mark, thanks a ton and if he becomes this texting photo sending data hogging technophobe I will blame it on you.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:19 AM   #6
themoneycollector
Nicotiana Tabacum

Trading: (108)
Bolivar
themoneycollector has disabled reputation

If you are trying to do what you mentioned, you could buy a $5-10 AT&T prepaid gophone at walmart. Then take the phone out of the package and take that phone to the at&t dealer and tell them you want to add a non-data line to your existing account. They will give you a sim to pop in the phone and it's good to go.
themoneycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:32 AM   #7
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by themoneycollector View Post
If you are trying to do what you mentioned, you could buy a $5-10 AT&T prepaid gophone at walmart. Then take the phone out of the package and take that phone to the at&t dealer and tell them you want to add a non-data line to your existing account. They will give you a sim to pop in the phone and it's good to go.
That's a great option as well.

I'm off to the post office to send the 4S. You should have it by Thursday. If it doesn't work out, I recommend the go phone route.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:56 AM   #8
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Thanks for the advice guys and thanks a ton for the phone Mark. I think you have given me a very good way to see if he will learn to text and ease into maybe using maps for navigation and what not. I will def set it up minimalized to keep it simple to start. Even if he just texts and use the phone it will be good for him. Gonna try to get him set up on my outlook calendar so he can see what we are doing on any given day and know when I am working and when i'm not. Thanks again.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:26 PM   #9
rwiiames
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Wes
Trading: (0)
rwiiames is on a distinguished road

I would stay away from the Go-Phones. My wife tried using one and it was awful. It had a hot mic and practically zero noise canceling ability. It picked up so much background noise that half the time I couldn't understand what she was saying.

My 2¢, YMMV