Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 11-24-2008, 07:08 PM   #1
kayaker

Default Scotch Q&A

Just thought I would start a thread where people can ask and answer questions and this great beverage, and share our knowledge.

I am by no means an expert, but I have learned a couple of things in the last couple of years and I like sharing my interest with others.

Please feel free to ask anything you want to know. Can't promise I will be able to answer, but hopefully someone else will chime in.

Please feel free to answer any questions, share you knowledge and experiences.

Let's have some fun (and a dram or two).
Old 11-24-2008, 07:15 PM   #2
kayaker

Default Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Thought I would start by giving you my definition/explanation about SMSW. I do it backwards:

Whisky = fermented grain (corn, rye, barley…) which is then distilled, usually aged in oak barrels (eg. rye, malt, bourbon).

Scotch = Whisky from Scotland only, has to be aged 3 years min., and must be distilled, aged, bottled in Scotland.

Malt = barley that has been soaked and allowed to germinate to maximize sugars, then dried, crushed and made into beer, which is then distilled.

Single = whisky that comes from one distillery only.

So SMSW is a Scotch whisky made from malted barley and from a single distillery.

Is that as clear as mud?
Old 11-24-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
mikeyj23
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
mikeyj23 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Scotch Q&A

Is a dram a specified amount, just "a pour" or both? I know a "shot" can be 1.5oz, or just a term. What's a dram?
Posted via Mobile Device
mikeyj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:23 PM   #4
kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyj23 View Post
Is a dram a specified amount, just "a pour" or both? I know a "shot" can be 1.5oz, or just a term. What's a dram?
Posted via Mobile Device
To my knowledge there is no specific amount. You can have a wee dram, or a big one. I guess it just refers to a serving of indeterminate volume.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I am by no means an expert....
You sure about that Ian? You, Scott & a handful of others have certainly been a great help for me as I head headfirst down the scotch slope.

This is a great idea!
Old 11-24-2008, 10:03 PM   #6
Cigary

While I don't like scotch as a rule I can't drink enough Drambuie,,which is a scotch whiskey with honey and herbs. If anyone else has had this is there another type of scotch that compares taste wise?
Old 11-25-2008, 10:21 AM   #7
kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
While I don't like scotch as a rule I can't drink enough Drambuie,,which is a scotch whiskey with honey and herbs. If anyone else has had this is there another type of scotch that compares taste wise?
I haven't had Drambuie in a while and can't remember it. My guess is it would be sweeter than Scotch would normally be. You might want to try something like an Arran Island malt, which would be pretty light and a bit fruity in taste.

Anyone else have a recommendation?
Old 11-25-2008, 10:45 AM   #8
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I haven't had Drambuie in a while and can't remember it. My guess is it would be sweeter than Scotch would normally be. You might want to try something like an Arran Island malt, which would be pretty light and a bit fruity in taste.

Anything from the Lowland regions would be lighter and fruitier with no peat or smoke. The Glenkinchie is a great one to start with at around $40 per bottle.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:50 AM   #9
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I have never had Scotch before. What is a good beginner Scotch?
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:00 AM   #10
Scottw
Going Commando

Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post

I would start with a Lowland if you are going the single malt rout. Cheaper Lowland is McClelland's which can be had for about $22 per bottle. The Glenkinchie which is a beautiful Lowland is about double that. Remember, the bottle does NOT go in the fridge or freezer for shots, it is to be nurtured, poured gently, sniffed, swirled and tasted. It really is an experience. Please try it and keep us posted!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:02 AM   #11
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
I would start with a Lowland if you are going the single malt rout. Cheaper Lowland is McClelland's which can be had for about $22 per bottle. The Glenkinchie which is a beautiful Lowland is about double that. Remember, the bottle does NOT go in the fridge or freezer for shots, it is to be nurtured, poured gently, sniffed, swirled and tasted. It really is an experience. Please try it and keep us posted!
So I drink it straight and warm? I can't mix it with Coke?
Old 11-25-2008, 11:05 AM   #12
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyj23 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Actually there is a specific measurement for a Dram, with reference to liquid. A Dram is 1/8th of an ounce!

However, when the word Dram is used with respect to liquor, I doubt that the actual definition is intended. Many say that they will be having "A Wee Dram of Scotch" the intended meaning, is obviously a small amount of scotch, maybe a half shot, of something like that, and not just 1/8th of an ounce!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:09 AM   #13
Scottw
Going Commando

Bolivar

Quote:
So I drink it straight and warm? I can't mix it with Coke?
Straight and Warm = neat, maybe a few drops of water to open it up a bit. You can mix it or do with it whatever you'd like. My wife wanted a scotch and soda one day and put Diet Coke in the Balvenie 21 year old (Over $120 per bottle). If she wasn't my wife I would have judo chopped her in the throat.
What I'm suggesting to you is trying the whole scotch experience. Try it for what it is, if you want to mix something with Coke, grab a cheap bottle of Jim Beam and have at it. Scotch Whisky is a horse of a different color.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:17 AM   #14
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
Straight and Warm = neat, maybe a few drops of water to open it up a bit. You can mix it or do with it whatever you'd like. My wife wanted a scotch and soda one day and put Diet Coke in the Balvenie 21 year old (Over $120 per bottle). If she wasn't my wife I would have judo chopped her in the throat.
What I'm suggesting to you is trying the whole scotch experience. Try it for what it is, if you want to mix something with Coke, grab a cheap bottle of Jim Beam and have at it. Scotch Whisky is a horse of a different color.
Gotcha. Does scotch burn more than bourbon?
Old 11-25-2008, 11:22 AM   #15
Scottw
Going Commando

Bolivar

Quote:
Gotcha. Does scotch burn more than bourbon?
Depends on the quality. Cheap bourbon burns and so does cheap scotch.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:13 PM   #16
Cigary

Quote:

Good Post here, Kayaker,,,I always try to expand my horizons with different tastes but have never heard what an Arran Island malt is,,where might I find something in this taste or the name of the scotch?
Old 11-25-2008, 02:28 PM   #17
Heliofire
Ward Photographer

Trading: (14)
Bolivar
Heliofire is on a distinguished road

My favorites are the Glenmorangie Nectar D'or and the new Glenmorangie Signet.
Heliofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:33 PM   #18
icurrie
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Iain
Trading: (16)
SLR
icurrie is on a distinguished road

I had a great experience touring Scotland's oldest distillery, Glenturret. I was there about 8 years ago and really learned alot there. Also got to enjoy the samples. Great stuff.
icurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:53 PM   #19
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Actually I find the scotch from the Speyside region to be lighter and sweeter than other regions. It's also has less of a smokey peat taste than other regions.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:56 PM   #20
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Glenlivet is good. I've also developed a liking for McClelland's Single Malt from the Speyside region and it's relatively inexpensive. I get it for $20 a bottle. They also have a McClelland's Highland, Lowland and Islay. I would suggest buying a bottle of each and deciding which profile you like best. Then start exploring more expensive scotch from that region. My current favorite is The Glenrothes. I'm working on a bottle of vintage 1991 right now. The older vintages are even better.

I also have a bottle of Glenlivet Nadurra that is very good.

Last edited by macpappy; 11-25-2008 at 03:07 PM.
macpappy is offline   Reply With Quote