Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 06-17-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice
Default How Do You Grill Your Burgers?

Since we're well into grilling season, I thought it might be fun to share some recipes.
First off, I like to use the America's Test Kitchen panade method. Basically, for each pound to pound and a half of ground beef, I use one slice of bread wth the crust removed, and enough milk to make a panade (thick paste). Add spices, and mix with the ground beef. The panade adds some binder to the ground beef to replace that lost as the fat drips out. You can also sear these to a nice crust on the outside, without drying the burgers into hockey pucks.
So now, after all that exposition, here's my two go-to recipes:
1. Add steak sauce, granulated onion, and granulated garlic to the panade. Sometimes I'll throw in a little bit of sage or savory for a slightly different flavor. Top with cheddar.
2. Hit the panade with a few generous splashes of your favorite hot sauce. These are great topped with bleu cheese.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
Samsquanch
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (21)
ERdM
Samsquanch will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How Do You Grill Your Burgers?

I like to buy fresh ground chuck from my local butcher, loosely pack into patties. Then press the spices (kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic and onion powder, Italian seasoning) on the outside of the burger - this helps form a nice crust on the outside of the burger. I've also discovered (this may be controversial...) that flipping the burger several times throughout cooking cooks the burger to a perfect medium rare throughout and doesn't dry it out at all.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

I take them, handcuff them, throw them down on the floor, put a hood on them, lead them into a darkened room, force them to sit in an uncomfortable chair, pull the hood off, shine a really bright light in their face, light a cigarette, blow the smoke in their face and start asking them questions. Every now and then I'll have someone walk behind them tapping a billy club into their hand or the back of the chair.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
I take them, handcuff them, throw them down on the floor, put a hood on them, lead them into a darkened room, force them to sit in an uncomfortable chair, pull the hood off, shine a really bright light in their face, light a cigarette, blow the smoke in their face and start asking them questions. Every now and then I'll have someone walk behind them tapping a billy club into their hand or the back of the chair.
You should just get a Taser.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
Samsquanch
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (21)
ERdM
Samsquanch will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hilarious!
Old 06-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
gpugliese
B.Y.O.B.

First Name: Greg
Trading: (13)
HUpmann
gpugliese will become famous soon enough

I usually make two smaller patties with divots in the middle of both, and then put a small amount of cheese - bleu, goat, etc - in the middle, and press the two patties together to make a burger. Crumbled bacon works as well.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

just granulated onion and garlic sprinkled on top.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #8
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

I get some ground sirloin (usually 90/10, I like them more lean), just add some salt, pepper, and a little mesquite bbq sauce. Mix it all up, press them into 3/4-1" patties, and fry 'em up! I have the grill on about 4 (of 10), flip them after about 4-5 min, leave them another 4-5 min, rotate the ones in the front towards the back with one more flip (the front of my grill doesn't get as hot as the back) and definitely don't press them down with the spatula. They end up with this delicious slight mesquite flavor from the bbq sauce and veeeeery juicy.

I let my friend do grill duty while I was making some other stuff one grillout and he pressed the heck out of the patties...they turned out very dry

So don't mash your burgers on the grill! The more you know! hehe

Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:07 PM   #9
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Usually with fire.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:50 AM   #10
CoventryCat86
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
CoventryCat86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
How Do You Grill Your Burgers?
Just tell the wife I want it rare. I'm not allowed near the grill.
CoventryCat86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:57 PM   #11
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
Just tell the wife I want it rare. I'm not allowed near the grill.
I assume there's a story here...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2010, 02:11 PM   #12
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

4 minutes on each side. I dont know the recipe...my wife mixes it all up.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #13
fxpose
Park Drive Smokehouse

Trading: (0)
fxpose is on a distinguished road

I only use cheap, high fat, freshly ground chuck from my local Asian market. At only $1.59/lb this meat produces the best burgers west of the Mississippi.
fxpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #14
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
You should just get a Taser.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #15
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Ground chuck, lightly formed, thumbprint in middle, heavily seasoned with blackening seasoning, cook 4 minutes, flip, top with a handful of blue cheese... masterpiece!!!
Old 06-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #16
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Montreal steak seasoning rub and once it's done top with A1 and you're favorite cheese...I typically go for pepperjack.

Sometimes I like to mix it up and smoke the burgers too. In that case I leave them plain and cook with Jack Daniels pellets.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #17
Blindjimme
Judgement Impaired

First Name: JB
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Blindjimme will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
Ground chuck, lightly formed, thumbprint in middle, heavily seasoned with blackening seasoning, cook 4 minutes, flip, top with a handful of blue cheese... masterpiece!!!
That's it right there. Nothing to add
Blindjimme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #18
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
thumbprint in middle
Forgot to mention this in my OP, helps keep the burgers flat as they shrink on the grill.
Anyone grind their own? I've done it a few times, especially if there's a really good sale on something like Black Angus. Nothng like taking meat right out of the grinder and slapping a few patties on the grll.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #19
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

Form paties out of ground chuck with indents in the middle so they don't ball up, sprinkle with black pepper and garlic powder (not salt - it pulls moisture out of the meat), grill until just about medium rare, add the cheddar cheese and throw the buns on the grill, finish to medium rare, top with lettuce, tomato, onion, sauteed mushrooms, ketchup and mayo. MMMM.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:28 PM   #20
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

I use 85/15 ground sirloin. Mince some onions and mix it in with the meat to form patties and either grill on the BBQ or make sliders on the stove top.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote