Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #21
larryinlc
Angry Packer Fan

First Name: Larry
Trading: (15)
larryinlc has disabled reputation
Default Re: Credit card thieves...

I have a Visa card, so I'm not going to be out any money. It amazes me how quickly my cc information can spread. Yesterday, there were 3 more attempted charges to Dominos pizza from a city I did not recognize. They were denied. That's 6 total Dominos charges in 2 days. Pizza must hot for thieves. It will be fixed, but the hassle I must go through is getting old.

Funny, I have Experian theft protection service too and they don't seemed bothered by cc theft. They have yet to alert me of any unusual activity.

Larry
larryinlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:13 PM   #22
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
As an IT guy this is the most likely cause. 2nd most likely cause is a rogue employee at one of the vendors you're using.
I work for the leader in DLP and one the best Cyber Defense technologies... A lot of malware you just can't get rid of that easily. Most solutions are signature based and you'll never get ahead of them The reside in memory with dynamic MD5's and droppers.

You may want to format your machine and start over if this continues to be a problem. You may be able to see the network operations to sites you know you are not connected to, but that's about it unless you use a root kit.

I would not lose sleep over and as mentioned before, try using a real CC instead for better safeguard (if your bank is not providing protection).
Old 03-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #23
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

Back in '05, we were in Pigeon Forge Sevierville, TN. Was filling up with gas on first day. Inserted card. Display said, "Please see cashier". I went inside and they took my card, looked at it, tried to scan it and it told us to call 1-800-blah blah blah (VISA service center). We called and card had been compromised, locked down. Thankfully we had another card.

Then, 3 years later, VISA called my wife on her phone, identified themselves and gave her the last 4 digits of CC number. Asked for wife's last 4 digits of SS #. Then said that an attempted charge was made at a Department store we didn't recognize in Southern California. She asked if we was in California. Of course, we weren't and I think the lady had already figured it out since she seen a charge at Kangaroo gas just 20 minutes before in our hometown. They locked down the card, took off fraudulent charges and issued a seize and destroy on the woman still waiting like an idiot in California.

Then in 2010, we eat at a local Mexican restaurant. I used my CC and my sister in law used her debit card. Both cards were breached within 24 hours. Mine had hundreds of $$$ in charges to easyflowers.com in Australia!

The first 2 were data breaches and the last was a scan and swipe scam where a waiter/waitress in the restaurant has a swiper that transmits data to a guy sitting in a car with a laptop stealing info. We reported the restaurant when we figured out what was going on.