Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
Flounder
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Ethan
Trading: (1)
Flounder is on a distinguished road
Default Crazy awesome business idea.

I am from Rochester, NY and spend much of my time in Buffalo. As you may or may not know, we have quite the gimmicky food places around here, in Buffalo there's Anchor Bar and Duff's wings, Mighty Taco, Ted's Hot Dogs, all staples that need to be visited if you visit Buffalo.

Rochester has Nick Tahou's and Henrietta Hots Garbage Plates (if you don't know, please inquire), and the meaty hot sauce that seems to be only found in the greater Rochester area.

Needless to say, all of these places are hot spots for late night dining, when you leave the bars at 4am or 2am in Buffalo or Rochester, respectively, you almost always hit one of these places up for some chow before headed home.

My idea tonight, as I made a grilled cheese with pepper jack cheese, why not a place that is completely grilled cheese themed? All breaks, white, wheat, sourdough, pumpernickel, rye, hard rolls, bagels etc, with everything you could imagine in it from meats and all cheeses, american, cheddar, pepper jack, monterrey jack, colby jack, bleu, swiss, etc, etc. Good after bar food, finger foods on the side and even a dessert menu, grilled cheeses with cheesecake filling, fruit filling, marshmallows and chocolate. It's genius!

Open for lunch and stay open through 3-5am.

Just curious what your thoughts would be, it's late, I'm bored, and think this is a super stellar idea...
Old 12-20-2011, 11:31 PM   #2
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of
Default Re: Crazy awesome business idea.

You could call it, "Just Grillin'." (I will expect a royalty check)

I'll take a swiss and salami melt on rye, please.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:32 PM   #3
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I think it's too specific. Now if you incorporated that with some good drunk friendly bar food and possible some salads and other sandwiches you might have something.

The biggest thing when thinking about a restaurant is can people eat here everyday? If your answer is no and you are a locally owned business you're off to a rough start.

So many businesses fail because the food is unhealthy and people can't regularly visit. It's gotta be a nice looking spot too.

I've seen this happen all too much.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
Flounder
Adjusting to the Life

My thought would be to get it either really close to the row of bars here in Rochester, or right on the same stretch as H-Hots and Nicky T's, people on there way to those places will see my place and figure they ought to try it. Why drop $7-10 on a garbage plate when you can get grilled cheeses and fries for cheaper/ the same price. Have a wall of fame for whoever can down the most? Play on the drunk kids coming in with their pride and liquid courage to try it.

You could eat there everyday, I mean, we go to H-Hots to get plates for lunch and stuff at work, or just for dinner. Not healthy, but if you sell a sandwich for $2 (just bread and cheese) or $3 (for meat and cheese) and fries for $2, it's affordable, but cheap to make, and easy. And do specialty sandwiches, name a certain sandwich after a local celebrity's favorite (research required).
Old 12-20-2011, 11:56 PM   #5
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

A public forum is probably not the best place to float business ideas, if its a really good idea someone with more capital and know how may move faster.

There are many such restaurants in other parts of the country. http://www.google.com/search?q=grill...1&pf=p&pdl=300
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:36 AM   #6
CoreyD
Licking my wounds

First Name: Corey
Trading: (23)
LGC
CoreyD has a spectacular aura aboutCoreyD has a spectacular aura about

Can we smoke cigars in the restaurant?Otherwise it sounds like a great idea however by me theres lots of small businesses going closed......
Old 12-21-2011, 04:54 AM   #7
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

http://www.tomandchee.com/
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:00 AM   #8
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

People are doing this already! But I would go to one if it where close to my home or work!
My wife makes an amazing grilled cheese and we talked about a grilled cheese truck before.
Not an original idea though, I have seen it on the food network for the last couple years.

http://foodtruckfiesta.com/grilled-cheese-food-truck/
http://www.facebook.com/roxysgrilledcheese
http://thegrilledcheesetruck.com/
http://www.chedds.com/
http://meltbarandgrilled.com/
http://theamericansf.com/
http://grilledcheesegrill.com/

Also $2-$3 sounds like a great deal I believe it is unrealistic as a price point, you have overhead costs for the building, utilities, staff, equipment, insurance, and the cost of food. I fear the cost of good quality bread, good meat and good cheese will put you over that price point before the other factors are even considered.

Last edited by Blak Smyth; 12-21-2011 at 05:13 AM.
Blak Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:34 AM   #9
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

This was an idea on America's Next Great Restaurant - I think the guy's concept was called Meltworks.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:36 AM   #10
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblz View Post
This was an idea on America's Next Great Restaurant - I think the guy's concept was called Meltworks.
Yup I saw that too. I think you are right about the name.
I think "The Melt" would be a good name.
Or "I'm Melting".
Old 12-21-2011, 05:37 AM   #11
Taki
Welcome to the Layer Cake

First Name: Taki
Trading: (38)
HdM
Taki has disabled reputation

Not a bad idea.I'd eat there!!
Old 12-21-2011, 06:06 AM   #12
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

I love Melt Bar and Grilled in Cleveland. Most sandwiches are around 10 bucks, including fries and slaw.

I ate at Gabriels Gate in Buffalo last year, I liked it too. That area of town looked like it would be suited for something quirky.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:24 AM   #13
Parshooter
I'm a friend of Gary S

First Name: Marc
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
Parshooter will become famous soon enough

How about a place that serves ground beef, shapped into patties, on a round bun. Patrons could put such bizarre things such as ketchup, mustard, pickels, onions....
Maybe serve deep fried strips of potato with it. Just gotta come up with a catchy name.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:30 AM   #14
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parshooter View Post
How about a place that serves ground beef, shapped into patties, on a round bun. Patrons could put such bizarre things such as ketchup, mustard, pickels, onions....
Maybe serve deep fried strips of potato with it. Just gotta come up with a catchy name.
McBurgerQueen?
Old 12-21-2011, 06:36 AM   #15
mase
Undead Recruiter

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (9)
Cohiba
mase will become famous soon enoughmase will become famous soon enough

Please, please, please, don't discourage Flounder. I am always intrigued to read his posts. Keep on posting Flounder. Say hi to your frat brother, Mothball, for me.
mase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #16
Flounder
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mase View Post
Please, please, please, don't discourage Flounder. I am always intrigued to read his posts. Keep on posting Flounder. Say hi to your frat brother, Mothball, for me.
I have a fan! Whoop!

All I am saying, is if you target the right crowd, the late nighters, but also offer an appropriate lunch atmosphere, this could work. Even if you do bump up prices, it's something different than wings, Mexican, and plates.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #17
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parshooter View Post
How about a place that serves ground beef, shaped into patties, on a GRILLED CHEESE bun? Grilled cheese top, grilled cheese bottom, burger in the middle.

Saw it on TV a while back. Throw on a couple slices of bacon and a fried egg, and you have some badass drunk food. You can call it the black out burger or something lol.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #18
mase
Undead Recruiter

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (9)
Cohiba
mase will become famous soon enoughmase will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
I have a fan! Whoop!

All I am saying, is if you target the right crowd, the late nighters, but also offer an appropriate lunch atmosphere, this could work. Even if you do bump up prices, it's something different than wings, Mexican, and plates.
I agree with you. Drunks like to eat greasy food and a little variety in a geographic area would be great.

Some of your posts make me think about college again and all those crazy drunken conversations we used to have. If a utility company sent me $100, that would have made my semester. Of course, I wasn't into cigars back then. That $100 would have been spent on $7 cases of Natty Ice or Keystone.
mase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #19
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
I am from Rochester, NY and spend much of my time in Buffalo. As you may or may not know, we have quite the gimmicky food places around here, in Buffalo there's Anchor Bar and Duff's wings, Mighty Taco, Ted's Hot Dogs, all staples that need to be visited if you visit Buffalo.

Rochester has Nick Tahou's and Henrietta Hots Garbage Plates (if you don't know, please inquire), and the meaty hot sauce that seems to be only found in the greater Rochester area.

Needless to say, all of these places are hot spots for late night dining, when you leave the bars at 4am or 2am in Buffalo or Rochester, respectively, you almost always hit one of these places up for some chow before headed home.

My idea tonight, as I made a grilled cheese with pepper jack cheese, why not a place that is completely grilled cheese themed? All breaks, white, wheat, sourdough, pumpernickel, rye, hard rolls, bagels etc, with everything you could imagine in it from meats and all cheeses, american, cheddar, pepper jack, monterrey jack, colby jack, bleu, swiss, etc, etc. Good after bar food, finger foods on the side and even a dessert menu, grilled cheeses with cheesecake filling, fruit filling, marshmallows and chocolate. It's genius!

Open for lunch and stay open through 3-5am.

Just curious what your thoughts would be, it's late, I'm bored, and think this is a super stellar idea...
I've seen something like this on food network. I think it was on DDD. Seemed to be working well for them, but it was also a full bar.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #20
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyD View Post
Can we smoke cigars in the restaurant?
Not in New York.