Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2015, 09:55 AM   #1
badbriar

Default Quit my job

Just quit my 2nd job at the Cigar Shop. It's a shame because I did like working there. Turns out that the manager and a full-timer there were using the safe as their personal loan department. Was told by the manager to just write in the dollar amount that the safe should have, even though it was short. I even loaned the manager $100 from my own pocket to bring the safe up to where it should be. Of course, he is 3 weeks late in repaying me and wants another 2 weeks. The safe never was fully repaid, as I was told it would be. I worked with this for about 2-3 months and realized the liability for me as just too high. I simply cannot work with that. One of the most important things we have left is our reputations and honesty. Kinda pisses me off, being put in that situation. Too bad, because it will cost me some $200 to 300 per month. Maybe I can get a job selling hot dogs on the side of the road. Not sure I won't get arrested for wearing a thong!
Old 10-23-2015, 10:07 AM   #2
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Quit my job

Does the owner know this is happening? Seems to me he'd rather keep someone on that's honest, rather than crooks.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:07 AM   #3
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Did you advise the owner of your reason? I know it's not cool to rat others out, but now they could blame you for the shortage if it is discovered, claiming this is the reason you left.

Just a thought.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:10 AM   #4
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I would tell the owner, but in a way that would assumes the owner is ok with this (in case he did not know, you don't sound like a rat) and that style of "workplace culture" is not what you feel comfortable working in.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:11 AM   #5
CEC_Tech
Old CS Gorilla

First Name: Armando
Trading: (5)
RyJ
CEC_Tech is on a distinguished road

I bet they will use your leaving as an excuse for why the safe is short. It's an easy way for them to get it back to where it needs to be and not repay the money. I would definitely get with the owner. It's an integrity thing.

I work in the service industry and I have seen it happen quite a few times over the years. When people leave, all sorts of stories come out, some true and some fake. When theft is involved, the person who left quickly becomes the scapegoat for many things.
CEC_Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:19 AM   #6
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Integrity is everything, Rob. I wish you the best of luck in finding another opportunity.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:51 AM   #7
badbriar

I originally contacted the HR manager, gave that person my resignation and explained and the reason for my leaving. The purpose for my leaving today is that three others counted and signed off on the safe amount. My last shift was last Saturday. This way, three others had hands in the safe since me and all would have entered fictional totals.
I've received numerous calls and emails from the store manager, trying to put this on me. Figures. Quality guy there! Thankfully, this occurred before my name was the last one to sign off on the safe amount. Now, I'm off to see if I can find another interesting PT!
Old 10-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #8
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

Trading: (28)
RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about

Sorry to hear about that brother.
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
WhiteMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:27 AM   #9
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Sorry to hear it, you were a decent guy to loan him the money, you should tell the store owner he owes you 100 bucks and he can take it out of the shmucks paycheck. Actually that wouldn't be the best idea, I don't know how loudly you would want to scream that they were stealing and you knew about it and didn't report it because you were a human being and felt bad for the thieves.

Best of luck on the new hunt, Michael.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:47 AM   #10
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
Best of luck on the new hunt, Michael.
Or Rob
Old 10-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #11
AdamJoshua

AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Him too!

Old 10-23-2015, 12:54 PM   #12
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

Trading: (28)
RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Adam
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
WhiteMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:48 PM   #13
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

Well done Rob!! Integrity always comes first..

Don't feel bad about loosing your part time job. I was layed off this week after 12 years. Really stinks as I'm old school and believed in loyalty. Feel slapped in the face.

Anyways, I wish you the best on the job hunting. Let me know if you need anything from me here in Orlando.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #14
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Trading: (20)
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

I recently got a second job delivering pizzas for extra cash to buy groceries! Beats selling hot dogs! Just a thought if u really need extra $$

Last edited by Gabe215; 10-23-2015 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:05 PM   #15
badbriar

Quote:
Originally Posted by equetefue View Post
Well done Rob!! Integrity always comes first..

Don't feel bad about loosing your part time job. I was layed off this week after 12 years. Really stinks as I'm old school and believed in loyalty. Feel slapped in the face.

Anyways, I wish you the best on the job hunting. Let me know if you need anything from me here in Orlando.
Edwin- what is your profession?
Old 10-23-2015, 08:22 PM   #16
AdamJoshua

There's always driving for Uber, your own hours and make decent money.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:09 PM   #17
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbriar View Post
Edwin- what is your profession?
I'm a call center ops manager.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:38 AM   #18
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

You're a nicer guy than me. I wouldn't have loaned him jack and I would be finding a way to hang those two
Old 10-24-2015, 10:15 AM   #19
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark View Post
You're a nicer guy than me. I wouldn't have loaned him jack...
Same here. I don't loan money; only give it away. It's up to you whether you want to pay me back or not.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:28 AM   #20
badbriar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Same here. I don't loan money; only give it away. It's up to you whether you want to pay me back or not.
I should adopt your theory. Two jobs and 12 years back, I loaned a co-worker $60 and never got that back. Oh well, sh*t happens and then you finally learn!