Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2015, 12:25 PM   #1
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of
Default Smoke them while you can.

So much for a man's home being his castle.

Quote:
WASHINGTON – A temporary order by a Superior Court judge is keeping a man from smoking inside his home in the District of Columbia.

WJLA-TV (http://bit.ly/1BrlPLl ) reports that Edwin Gray's next door neighbors in northeast Washington have filed a civil suit claiming they're being harmed by smoke that sneaks into their home through a hole in the basement. They are seeking an injunction and $500,000 in damages.

A judge issued a temporary injunction last week saying neither Gray nor any family or guests may smoke in the home the family has owned for 50 years. Gray's sister, Mozella Johnson, says they will fight.

Not sure how this works, sounds like they are a style of row house or something to where the smoke sneaks into their house, at first I assumed that smoke was leaving his house and blowing in the windows of the neighbors but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Edit: The link explains that yes they have shared walls, amusing that he can go smoke outside though.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:44 PM   #2
the nub
Papa Chino

Trading: (2)
LGC
the nub is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Smoke them while you can.

I believe the neighbor tried to come to a solution by sharing the cost to stop the smoke infiltration but he told them no.
the nub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:19 PM   #3
AdamJoshua

AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

I saw that there was a hole in the basement and that they ended up suing him for $500,000, seems like it should be easy enough to fix a hole, also depends on size and placement.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:43 PM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
depends on size and placement.
Phrasing......

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:48 PM   #5
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

There is law brewing here that will ban smoking in "multi family dwellings" ie condos, apartments, tenement housing.

Just a matter of time lads and lasses...
Old 03-10-2015, 04:29 PM   #6
AdamJoshua

The apt building I live in banned smoking about 6 months ago, they gave 60 days notice and did not allow smokers to break their lease without penalties, they are a sleaze ball management office as it is.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:05 PM   #7
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The apt building I live in banned smoking about 6 months ago, they gave 60 days notice and did not allow smokers to break their lease without penalties, they are a sleaze ball management office as it is.
Employers are doing exploring this for existing employees as well.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:39 PM   #8
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
There is law brewing here that will ban smoking in "multi family dwellings" ie condos, apartments, tenement housing.

Yup. Just a matter of time. Since nobody speaks up to defend smokers, there's no opposition to such laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Employers are doing exploring this for existing employees as well.
Yup... Smokers are not a protected class.

Quote:
How is that legal? The tenant's signed a lease with a certain rule set. Changing the rules is breaking the Landlord's end of the lease. I would not pay the penalty and would refer to the signed lease as towards what is allowed and not. There could be language that allow on the fly rule changes by landlord, but I would not sign such a lease...
Old 03-11-2015, 02:37 PM   #9
T.G
Grrrrrr

Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post

Those laws (city/county ordinances) already exist in some areas here.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:30 AM   #10
CoffeeWaterBeer
Critiquing Perique

First Name: Seth
Trading: (13)
Partagas
CoffeeWaterBeer will become famous soon enough

With all the lobbying big tobacco does, I'm surprised there hasn't been more opposition.
CoffeeWaterBeer is offline   Reply With Quote