Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 03-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Straight pipes -vs- Bent (and fishing)

I know there are many people out there who love bent pipes. They think they are the way to go. In fact, some I have heard a few who have said they would never smoke a straight. That's a debate the is personal preference, and indeed, I like a bent.

That being said, I prefer straight pipes.

Why?

1) A bent pipe more easily collects condensation at the point of the bottom of the bowl and draft hole. This is why a bent often produces more gurgle. And, as steam produces tongue bite, a bent is often less forgiving in that area than a straight. Of course, proper packing, technique, and pipe cleaners can alleviate most of this.

2) And this is the most important thing to consider. A straight is better for fishing in the streams.

"What?" you are thinking.

It is simple. As I look at the weather for this coming Sunday - Monday, "tut, tut, it looks like rain." What am I going to bring to smoke? Some people would say, I don't know if I even want to go fishing in the rain. If the water is fairly clear, sometimes stream fishing for trout in the rain is the most productive time.

But, most smokers don't even consider what they'll smoke if it is raining. Why? Ever smoke a cigar in a steady rain? Not going to smoke good ones. Ever smoke a pipe in a steady rain? Most people won't.

But why not? You can smoke a straight pipe in a downpour without the brim of a hat to cover it. You cannot smoke a bent that way, though.

Huh?

If you smoke a straight pipe, all you need to do is turn the bowl upside down and it is effectively waterproof. You can even tamp and relight it while inverted.

Try that with a bent pipe.

So, all you stream trout fishermen, get yourself a couple straight pipes for those rainy days. You'll be glad you did.

Oh yeah, I can now see a couple of you who have read this, trying your pipes upside down.

Just a word of caution. Do not do this indoors or while sitting. Why? Falling ash and possibly embers. Which is why standing in a stream is perfect for this method.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tony
Trading: (3)
Zanaspus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Straight pipes -vs- Bent (and fishing)

I was always a fan of straights, but recently, I find myself buying and enjoying bents as well. I think both have a place. A couple years ago, I had never even purchased a bent.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

I wasn't trying to say that bents are bad, or that they have no place in a pipe rotation. I have a few bents in mine rotation too.

I was simply extolling the virtues of the straight. Especially to those who refuse to consider straight pipes because they are so devoted to their bents. And, I wanted to extol the particular virtue of the straight, especially to those who fish.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

So, is your avatar pic of you with the straight and the bowl in your mouth?
Old 03-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

I'd say about 90% of my pipes are straights... I do enjoy them very much.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
"Umm...I think you're doing it wrong." LOL
Old 03-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Wow, that's odd. How about my hand up to my mouth with a cigar in my hand/mouth.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
sam a
... .. .

Trading: (2)
QdO
sam a has disabled reputation

kind of a non sequitur but it seems that full bearded men prefer bents, and shaven/mustached men prefer straights. anybody else notice that?
Old 03-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
the MacDonald
Grey beard, funky wierd

First Name: Joe
Trading: (9)
Trinidad
the MacDonald will become famous soon enough

I have a full beard and haven't bought a bent pipe in years.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
darkleeroy
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Josh
Trading: (0)
HUpmann
darkleeroy is on a distinguished road

I own both, it depends on the shape for me. Bulldogs are straight, billards are bent.

I drive with a 3/4 bent.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #11
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

You know, the whole point of my original post was about how you can smoke a straight pipe with the bowl upside down. And, that it is great when stream fishing in the rain.

You'd be surprised how much easier it is to light or relight while upside down

Old 03-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #12
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
You know, the whole point of my original post was about how you can smoke a straight pipe with the bowl upside down. And, that it is great when stream fishing in the rain.

You'd be surprised how much easier it is to light or relight while upside down

Do you use the same packing method you would normally use smoking it right-side up?
Old 03-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #13
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Do you use the same packing method you would normally use smoking it right-side up?
Pack it as you do normally. Initial light is right-side-up. And if you're going to tamp and re-light, sometimes you do loose some baccy when you do it upside down.

I have also found that it is sometimes easier to smoke to the bottom of the bowl. Smoke and heat naturally rise, so they rise into the unburnt tobacco when the pipe is up-side-down.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Nice essay Todd!

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:23 PM   #15
darkleeroy
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Josh
Trading: (0)
HUpmann
darkleeroy is on a distinguished road

Some say it's easier to color straight meerschaum bowls upside down.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #16
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Old 09-22-2012, 07:26 AM   #17
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Pack it as you do normally. Initial light is right-side-up. And if you're going to tamp and re-light, sometimes you do loose some baccy when you do it upside down.

I have also found that it is sometimes easier to smoke to the bottom of the bowl. Smoke and heat naturally rise, so they rise into the unburnt tobacco when the pipe is up-side-down.

What types of tobacco have you tried this with? Does the loose cut tobacco produce more falling embers than, say, a flake that's been packed without first being cut or torn into smaller pieces?
Old 09-22-2012, 07:33 AM   #18
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTraveler View Post
What types of tobacco have you tried this with? Does the loose cut tobacco produce more falling embers than, say, a flake that's been packed without first being cut or torn into smaller pieces?
I don't know that I've really paid attention to that detail or not. I must say though, as I consider it, I think that when I've done this, I rubbed my flake out when smoking it this way. In fact, I predominantly rub my flakes out before filling.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #19
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Interesting that this thread should be resurrected just before a stream fishing trip. I don't know that rain is in the forecast though.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #20
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

I discovered this little trick by accident shortly after I started smoking a pipe. I have found a pipe a little easier to manage on the boat while fishing than a cigar. Wet hands and rolled tobbacco don't really mix to well. I nice squall hit us and I grabbed the cigar to get it out of the way while pulling the anchor to dash for cover. My intent was to not fill up the bowl with water, but then I found that the thing was still lite. Sweet!

Have a great time fishing Todd! I'll be in the office most of today. Going to try to get out tomorrow afternoon after church though. Boo has been pounding on me to take her fishing. I guess there are worse things a daughter could be pestering a dad about