Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Madman31
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Madman31 is on a distinguished road
Default Retire rich or retire early?

Let's say you had an option of retiring early at like 50 with enough investment income to last until you're 100 living a lower middle class lifestyle. Would you do it or keep on working until 62 to ensure you have enough income to live a "rich" retirement? Curious to see the answers
Madman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future
Default Re: Retire rich or retire early?

My answer would have to depend on my health. Not worth working longer if you can't enjoy it.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Can't I pick both?

On second thought, nevermind, as it's too late for me to do either.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

Retire early. Easy choice for me.

PS - I'm 24. What I'm looking at right now is continuing to work my job for another 5 years saving ~75% of each paycheck (like I'm doing right now) and then quitting to do whatever I want to. Probably whitewater rafting guide. I'll take a really decreased paycheck but by then given my investing habits and return I should be good to go on a minimal income.
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

What if you could manage semi-retired (work maybe 500 hours a year) at 45 and upper middle class for the rest of your life? I'm thinking full medical coverage, big house without a mortgage and perhaps something in the six figures to live on after taxes.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

I like my job, so I'd pick retire rich
Old 04-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

My plan is retire at 52 I will have medical and enough to be lower middle class. And at that point get a part time job at a BM or something like that. Even though I do love my job and can work till 57 and make a whole lot more.
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

Retire early, but only if a minimum income can be secured. But that depends heavily on family needs, health care and my hobbies at the time.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #9
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

62, easy decision.

Though I am not sure if everyone is looking at "lower middle class" in the same way.... I need a number on that to make an informed decision.
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

I definitely plan on working way past 50. No way I would be able stand not working in some way that early. That being said, also no way I will be working at the job I'm at now past 50. Second career all the way...probably something involving a resort or a golf course, whatever I can get the best deal on.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #11
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Retire and work part-time at a cigar shop.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #12
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
What if you could manage semi-retired (work maybe 500 hours a year) at 45 and upper middle class for the rest of your life? I'm thinking full medical coverage, big house without a mortgage and perhaps something in the six figures to live on after taxes.
This is my plan. 20-25 hrs a week effing off at home depot or something. I'd like to have my 'I am never moving again' house.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #13
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Define lower middle class and rich?
Old 04-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #14
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

I ponder this all the time my self...I have a good job for a average idiot, I like it and it gives me most the tools I need to retire at a decent age. I'm shooting for 45-55 years old myself. The wife is going to take over bread winning duty's soon as she is working towards being a RN. When the wife tells me to stay home and clean the house I will know it's time.
I would love to retire or even semi retire while I'm healthy enough to have fun with my boys and nieces and I will more than likely be taking over a gun shop or some other part time work later on. ("welcome to Wal-Mart do you need a cart")
This all depends on return of investments too. I (we) could all be broke tomorrow.

So in a nut shell....I want out before 62.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #15
Mikey202
Tight Lines !!!!

First Name: Mike
Trading: (6)
SLR Army (Served With Honor)
Mikey202 will become famous soon enoughMikey202 will become famous soon enough

Retire early and go fishing everyday. I'm easy to please.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #16
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

What? No "retire now" option?
Old 04-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #17
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Define lower middle class and rich?
That was my question exactly, Mac.....

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505123_1...-middle-class/

It's not surprising that Washington has a hard time deciding the politically expedient definition of middle class, but it's not as if there's any better clarity among the masses either. In an April 2008 survey conducted by the Pew Research center, four in 10 Americans with income below $20,000 said they were middle class, while one-third of those making more than $150,000 defined themselves as middle class.

So 40% of Americans that are not making half the Median Household income think they are "middle class"....which 1/3 of those making three times the Median Household income think they are middle class.... If choosing between those two, I'd say the 150Kers are closer....

THis post is in no way meant to come off as political....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #18
ysr_racer

I've got a 1% friend, trust me, rich is always better.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #19
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I currently have three jobs. I work as a consultant for a school district, have a residential rental property business, and have a cattle operation. The school job will go away at some point. The other two never will.

I choose work until the day I die. There is nothing else I want to do.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #20
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

62 and probably much longer. The answer is always more.