Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Old 08-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all
Default Tough Mudder - anyone done it? someone talk some sanity into me....

http://toughmudder.com

For some very strange reason, I'm seriously considering this.... why is that strange? Because I'm 27 years old, 5'10" 160lbs, never played sports, never worked out, have no cardio stamina ("run" a mile? you a funny man!)

But a friend has got a team together and is doing it and invited me. (did I mention he and half is team is ex-USMC?)... and for some hair-brained reason I'm actually considering it...

I don't want to slow down my team... and I'd only have 2.5 months to train...

The one thing I have going for me - I know that mentally I can harness whatever my body has to give.

Advice? talk me out of it? talk me into it?
Old 08-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tough Mudder - anyone done it? someone talk some sanity into me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
http://toughmudder.com

For some very strange reason, I'm seriously considering this.... why is that strange? Because I'm 27 years old, 5'10" 160lbs, never played sports, never worked out, have no cardio stamina ("run" a mile? you a funny man!)

But a friend has got a team together and is doing it and invited me. (did I mention he and half is team is ex-USMC?)... and for some hair-brained reason I'm actually considering it...

I don't want to slow down my team... and I'd only have 2.5 months to train...

Advice? talk me out of it? talk me into it?
My brother has done a few, he certainly isn't an athlete in trainning, but he does run on a regular basis. I would not go into it thinking it will be easier than it actually is. If nothing else, I would suspect the team you are planning on going with will be waiting for a long time for you at most obstacles. The adventure would be fun, but I would find a different team to experience the first one.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
My brother has done a few, he certainly isn't an athlete in trainning, but he does run on a regular basis. I would not go into it thinking it will be easier than it actually is. If nothing else, I would suspect the team you are planning on going with will be waiting for a long time for you at most obstacles. The adventure would be fun, but I would find a different team to experience the first one.

Oddly enough, the obstacles all look fairly "doable" to me. I'm a very agile guy with great balance. It's the getting between em I'm more worried about. Or was that exactly what you meant?

EDIT: If all your brother has got going for him is running on a regular basis.... surely I can get that up to speed in the course of a couple months... I think? I've got a treadmill in the house, so I can always make TV time mandatory leg moving time

Last edited by spectrrr; 08-03-2011 at 09:24 PM.
spectrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
Oddly enough, the obstacles all look fairly "doable" to me. I'm a very agile guy with great balance. It's the getting between em I'm more worried about. Or was that exactly what you meant?
Yes, the runs in between. The obstacles wear you down much more than the jogs in between, but leave you shot trying to get to the next one. Particularly the ones where you 'army crawl' through the mud or have to climb hills/structures.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #5
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

They are great. Team is the way to go. My wife and I are trying to see when I am rehabbed enough to give a go at one of these. Just do not want to rebreak my back doing something silly. Train a bit and give it a go with your goal of just completing. I think you will enjoy it. Either way go and watch.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
baddevildog82

From the site:
"WARNING: Tough Mudder is 3-4 times longer and MUCH TOUGHER than a typical mud run such as Warrior Dash. On average, only 78% of participants finish the event. Only those in reasonably strong physical condition should enter."

LOL...in a couple of months, you will have a hard time getting in shape for this I think. If your team doesn't care about completing the event and just wants to have a good time, then go for it.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #7
Hippiebrian

I'm way too "type B" to even consider this. What happened to moderation? Somehow, this country has gone to being either too fat and out of shape or trying to be so in shape they feel the need to punish themselves. What happened to moderation? A nice 50 mile bike ride or 5 mile jog? I don't get the whole "extreme" event thing myself. Why would anyone do this to themselves? I got enough of this stuff in boot camp! I'll stick to my bicycle, thanks...

Don't know if you can train up to this in a couple months from zero. Whatever you do, if you don't feel up to it by the time the event is, don't do it! Nothing is worth injuring yourself. Me, I prove I'm a man every time I stand up to pee. Why bother?
Old 08-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #8
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

I have decided that although I really want to do it, November is just too soon, especially since I will shortly be out of town for a month, delaying training.

Thanks to all the input! I think I will definitely try to do one in 2012! And start prepping for it now, a little gentler
Old 08-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Francis, my friends just did the Warrior Dash the same day as Mike's herf. They had a blast. You might look at doing one of those first to see if you can make it through that. Then you can shoot for this event. Unfortunately the next one around here isn't until next year. I'm planning on doing it next year.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #10
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Francis, my friends just did the Warrior Dash the same day as Mike's herf. They had a blast. You might look at doing one of those first to see if you can make it through that. Then you can shoot for this event. Unfortunately the next one around here isn't until next year. I'm planning on doing it next year.
There's one in Indiana next week if you're ready now

Warrior Dash looks like a lot of fun. lol, a lot more 'fun' than tough mudder!!!

oh wow, just compared em - the dash is 3 miles... tough mudder is 12 miles! Give me 4 weeks and i could do the dash... (ok, maybe 4 weeks is optimistic)

It will be a good warmup!
Old 08-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #11
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Can't next week. I wish I could, but work's gonna have me tied up.