Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road
Default Re: College Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in Dade View Post
Amen

If Miami beats GT and N.C. State, they play in the ACC title game. Miami is coming along faster than people thought. This team will compete for a National Title next year.
Nah. There're at least two problems with that idea [and it's not because I hate Miami ]:

1) Miami's defense is still terrible. During the Tech game they flashed up the stat that Miami's opponents scored 25 out of 26 times in the red zone, 21 of those were TDs. A National Title contender needs to do MUCH better than that, I think they're more than a year away.

2) Every team in the ACC is saying the same thing. UNC, VT, Miami, they're all young teams, they're all expecting to be better next year. The teams may be better, but conference games are going to ruin Championship dreams for everyone. I'd expect the ACC Champ to have at least 2 losses, that won't be good enough for a trip to the big game.

I think parity in the ACC is enough to kill any chance of a National Champ from the ACC for the next year or two.
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:21 PM   #62
brigey57
Smoke me if you can...

First Name: Bri
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
brigey57 is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: College Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmedan'lboone View Post
I must be out of my mind.
I'm with you, I am out of my mind.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:24 PM   #63
brigey57
Smoke me if you can...

First Name: Bri
Montecristo
brigey57 is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: College Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
You have finally seen the light, young dan'l.
There is just one game left to the season that really counts!
Old 11-16-2008, 02:53 PM   #64
gorob23
Brother of the Leaf

First Name: Rob
gorob23 has disabled reputation

I'm with the kid...Fight On

Rob

for a minute I thought that was William Wallace
gorob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:58 PM   #65
Made in Dade
The Freedom Tower

Made in Dade is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
Nah. There're at least two problems with that idea [and it's not because I hate Miami ]:

1) Miami's defense is still terrible. During the Tech game they flashed up the stat that Miami's opponents scored 25 out of 26 times in the red zone, 21 of those were TDs. A National Title contender needs to do MUCH better than that, I think they're more than a year away.

2) Every team in the ACC is saying the same thing. UNC, VT, Miami, they're all young teams, they're all expecting to be better next year. The teams may be better, but conference games are going to ruin Championship dreams for everyone. I'd expect the ACC Champ to have at least 2 losses, that won't be good enough for a trip to the big game.

I think parity in the ACC is enough to kill any chance of a National Champ from the ACC for the next year or two.

I agree with most of what you just said. Remember Miami is still installing a new defense under Bill Young who is one of the best Defensive Cordinators in College Football. Look at what he did for Kansas when he was their DC. Also, they are starting three true freshman on their defense, with as many as six true freshman getting alot of playing time. Next year they will be even better.
Many teams in the ACC are very young, but no more than Miami, they are the youngest team in the country. Lastly, talent. Miami has sick talent. They have some of the best freshman and sophmores in the country. Next year they will be domiant.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:33 PM   #66
silentjon

Quote:

Miami's defense is terrible? Really? I don't think that is true. Miami's best players are all freshman and sophomores. Not only will Miami's record streak of a having a player drafted in the first-round end this year, but I do not think they will have a single player drafted.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:30 PM   #67
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Yup, 21 TDs out of 26 attempts is a pretty poor record. And didn't they give up 31 pts to the ACC's favorite whipping boy (Duke)?

But I'll be the first to admit Miami's defense is fast, much more so than VT's O-line as evindent in your picture. They've definitely got promise, but they gotta plug the holes in the red zone before they're a contender.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:38 PM   #68
Rockestone
Anythings Possible

First Name: Greg
Trading: (5)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Rockestone will become famous soon enoughRockestone will become famous soon enough

I will withhold all comments until I know who the coach of Clemson will be next year.

We sure did screw this year's wet dream up!!
Old 11-16-2008, 07:18 PM   #69
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
From the "fan" who sat at his apartment while the Beavers upset the number one Trojans.
Can't afford regular tickets.

And to get student tickets would have meant standing in line for about 6 hours to get tickets.

JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:54 AM   #70
silentjon

Quote:
Yup, 21 TDs out of 26 attempts is a pretty poor record. And didn't they give up 31 pts to the ACC's favorite whipping boy (Duke)?

But I'll be the first to admit Miami's defense is fast, much more so than VT's O-line as evindent in your picture. They've definitely got promise, but they gotta plug the holes in the red zone before they're a contender.
Agreed that Miami's red zone defense needs work. But their defense is not terrible: Total Defense Ranking: Miami #8, Virginia Tech #34, Scoring Defense: Miami #15, Virginia Tech #25.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #71
Mark C
Feeling at Home

I never said we were any better

BTW, your DC is 01038555749589484298, sorry for the delay!
Old 11-18-2008, 09:16 AM   #72
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigey57 View Post
There is just one game left to the season that really counts!
I am happy to say that for us, not so much!

But we've definitely got a score to settle now don't we!!
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:15 PM   #73
silentjon

Any Yellow Jackets fans here?
Old 11-20-2008, 05:17 AM   #74
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentjon View Post
Any Yellow Jackets fans here?
I am this weekend! But no more betting for me, seems to be bad luck for the team!
Old 11-20-2008, 05:20 AM   #75
silentjon

Quote:
I am this weekend! But no more betting for me, seems to be bad luck for the team!
Go Blue Devils!!
Old 11-20-2008, 06:45 AM   #76
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
I am happy to say that for us, not so much!

But we've definitely got a score to settle now don't we!!
Roll, Tide!!!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:35 AM   #77
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentjon View Post
But their defense is not terrible: Total Defense Ranking: Miami #8, Scoring Defense: Miami #15.
I think those numbers will be changing a bit after last night. I completely forgot it was a Thursday game, I'm ticked I missed it.

So now we could very well have a 4-way tie in the division. How do you decide that?
Old 11-21-2008, 07:41 AM   #78
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Found it:
------------------------------------
ACC Football Tiebreaker Policy
The Atlantic Coast Conference Championship will be decided by a game between the Atlantic and Coastal Division Champions. The team in each division with the highest percentage of wins during all regular-season Conference competition shall be declared the division champion. If two or more teams are tied with the highest percentage of wins, they shall be declared division co-champions. Division standings will be calculated on a percentage basis, using only those Conference games which are a part of the regular rotating schedule. In the event of division co-champions, the following tie-breaker procedure will be used to determine that divisions’ representative to the championship game.

A. Two-Team Tie

Head-to-head competition between the two tied teams.
Records of the tied teams within the division.
Head-to-head competition versus the team within the division with the best overall record (divisional). Conference record and proceeding though the division. Multiple ties within the division broken from first to last.
Overall record versus all common non-divisional opponents.
Combined record versus all non-divisional teams.
Record versus common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish (divisional and non-divisional) and proceeding through other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division.
The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl Championship Series Standings following the end of regular season games shall be the divisional representative in the ACC Championship Game.
The representative shall be chosen by a draw.

B. Three (or More) Team Tie
(Once tie has been reduced to two teams, the two-team tiebreaker format is used)

Combined head-to-head record among the tied teams.
Records of the tied teams within the division.
Head-to-head competition versus the team within the division with the best overall (divisional or conference) record, and proceeding through the division. Multiple ties within the division will be broken first to last.
Overall record for non-divisional teams.
Combined record versus all common non-divisional teams.
Record versus common non-divisional with the best overall Conference (divisional and non-divisional record) and proceeding through the other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within the division.
The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl Championship Series Standings following the conclusion of regular season games shall be the divisional representative in the ACC Championship Game, unless the second of the tied teams is ranked within five-or-fewer places of the highest ranked tied team. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the ACC Championship Game.
The representative shall be chosen by a draw.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:43 PM   #79
silentjon

Quote:
I think those numbers will be changing a bit after last night. I completely forgot it was a Thursday game, I'm ticked I missed it.

So now we could very well have a 4-way tie in the division. How do you decide that?
That was a brutal game. I knew from GT's first drive and the success they had passing, it was going to be a long night. With ACC this year, nothing surprises me.