Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 10-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
jhedrick83
GO VOLS!

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (0)
jhedrick83 is on a distinguished road
Default Home Theaters

I'm getting ready to finally set up the home theater room in my house and I'm looking for some advice in terms on brands. I have the room prewired for 7.1, I could make it 7.2 if I really wanted to. I just don't know where to start with in-wall/in-ceiling speakers. I don't want junk speakers but I don't want to waste money either. I'm no audiophile (nor is my wife). My wife and I built our house 2 years ago and due to budget problems, had to leave the room unfinished. I originally had been recommended Proficient speakers by a local shop here, but the shop has since closed, and Amazon shows most of Proficient's speakers as discontinued. I saw on Crutchfield that the Polk RC line had good reviews, but you never know. Thoughts or suggestions on brands or other places to buy would be greatly appreciated!
jhedrick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice
Default Re: Home Theaters

Some may disagree and say that it's not all that good - and they may be correct, but we have a Bose five-speaker system that we really enjoy that was pretty affordable when we bought it a few years ago (disclaimer - my wife and I are not audiophiles).
Old 10-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #3
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

I suppose the big questions are what's your budget? And what form factor-Traditional floorstanding, bookshelf, micro? Some of the online brands cannot be beat dollar for dollar in big box stores. Aperion, Swan, Axiom just to name a few. Most of my gear is from the now defunct AV123, but it smashes most of what is a worstbuy for the same money.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #4
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

NHT is another very good line, that can be budget friendly. That's what I use at home.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Jesse, you say you're no audiophile, but that does not mean you can't accept advise from some.

http://www.stereophile.com/
Old 10-24-2014, 11:06 AM   #6
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Home Theater is one of those religious topics. Everyone has different ideas of what is good and not good. My hearing is different than yours, so what sounds good to me may not sound good for you and vice versa.

Many years ago I started going to a local high-end audio shop called Magnolia Hi-Fi. They branched out and opened a number of locations around the PNW and were eventually bought out by Best Buy. Some Best Buy stores will have a Magnolia Home Theater area.

I have a Denon AV Receiver and M&K 7.1 speakers. The M&K are good movie speakers, but not as good for listening to music. I'm OK with that.

I'm on my second set of M&K's and I love them (started with a 5.1 system and upgraded). They are "bookshelf" sized speakers and I have one over the TV, a subwoofer in the corner of the room and 6 mounted to the walls (front, side and back).

This really works well for me, but spent a lot of time in the store trying out different systems. When I started doing this, I used the Saving Private Ryan DVD as the audio for the beach landing near the beginning was a really good test case.

So, pick your favorite DVD/BR or two (or pick up an AV set-up DVD/BR) and go check out some systems. Just my

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #7
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

I have a Denon receiver and a Klipsch 5.1 RF-52 front and center, RF 42 surround speakers and a RW-12 sub woofer. It sounds great for my room. I went with speakers/stands in case I ever have to move. I just had the surround wire extended down to the back wall and I run the wires from a plate to the surround speakers. The system isn't very good for music, but sounds awesome for movies.

I may put some ceiling speakers in for 7.1 at some point, but it's not a high priority. I'm really very happy with the 5.1 setup.

Edit: I forgot to mention I ordered everything through Crutchfield and would not hesitate to do so again. They were very helpful and very pleasant to work with. They were a great help. Do not hesitate to call them with questions.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #8
jhedrick83
GO VOLS!

Chip, I was planning on in-wall/in-ceiling rather than free standing. Between my big dogs and kids running around I figure it might be wise to have as few things as I can that can be knocked over. I'd like to keep the receiver/speakers under $3k if I can. The room will be used mostly for sports and movies.

Bob and Chip, those are some brands I haven't heard of, I'll check them out. Thanks!

Thomas, thanks for the link, I will check it out for sure!

I was going to use a Denon receiver, everywhere I have gone they seem to be big winners and the $ is right too. Some of those speaker brands I have never heard of so I will look into it. I tried going in the local Magnolia, but the two guys working seemed more interested in talking/joking around with each other so I gave up and left.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:30 PM   #9
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Paradigm Speakers, out of Canada, are another good option.

If you want to dream, or if you hit the lotto, look at Von Schwiekert speakers.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:49 PM   #10
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhedrick83 View Post
Chip, I was planning on in-wall/in-ceiling rather than free standing. Between my big dogs and kids running around I figure it might be wise to have as few things as I can that can be knocked over. I'd like to keep the receiver/speakers under $3k if I can. The room will be used mostly for sports and movies.

Bob and Chip, those are some brands I haven't heard of, I'll check them out. Thanks!

Thomas, thanks for the link, I will check it out for sure!

I was going to use a Denon receiver, everywhere I have gone they seem to be big winners and the $ is right too. Some of those speaker brands I have never heard of so I will look into it. I tried going in the local Magnolia, but the two guys working seemed more interested in talking/joking around with each other so I gave up and left.

That is a healthy budget. Axiom makes some super nice on wall stuff. Devon is always solid. Agree on Magnolia. They are a joke.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #11
jhedrick83
GO VOLS!

Anybody have any thoughts on Klipsch Reference Series? The specs look good to me (like I know I'm talking about).

Ceiling speakers would be:
CDT-5800-C II
1" titanium tweeter with swiveling Tractrix® horn
pivoting 8" Cerametallic™ woofer
power handling: up to 50 watts RMS (200 watts peak)
frequency response 49-23,000 Hz (±3dB)
sensitivity 95 dB
8-ohm impedance
treble and mid-bass attenuation switches

LCR would be:
R-5502-W II
pivoting Tractrix® horn with 1" titanium tweeter
dual 5-1/4" Cerametallic™ woofers
Wide Dispersion Surround Technology™
power handling: up to 75 watts RMS (300 watts peak)
frequency response 46-20,000 Hz (±3dB)
sensitivity 92 dB
8-ohm impedance

They are a bit pricey, but I found what would be a pretty banging deal on amazon when purchased as a package, something like $1,000 off the total if purchased separately

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R-5502...A3MHJLSLQR2CVH

Thoughts? Can I get similar performance in a cheaper way?
Old 12-16-2019, 12:11 AM   #12
robotss1

Default Replacement Battery for iRobot Roomba

To supplant battery start by flipping around your robot. Utilizing a screwdriver evacuate the side brush. Slacken the four screws that protected the base spread. At that point expel the base spread. Your following stage will expel a battery. Spot the new battery Replacement Battery for Vibrating Ladypleaser in your robot with the maker's logo looking up. Spot the base spread back on and fix the four screws. To complete supplant the side brush and fix the screw. Ensure the base spread is flush with all sensors.

Last edited by icehog3; 12-16-2019 at 09:29 AM.