Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 02-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #1601
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
To which Tupac says..."TIME AND TEMPS???!! I took pictures, now I am expected to remember
TIME AND TEMPS?!?!" You folks are freakin nuts.

Nice work PAC, nopw you need to use colored pucks in your smoker to crank out Easter Eggs, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
...Tupac, just throw some numbers out for Brent. He won't know the difference!

In the words of Rodney Dangerfield....I cant get no respect!!!

Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #1602
tupacboy
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
tupacboy is on a distinguished road

ribs = smoke 3 hrs... 1.5 hrs foil... .5 hrs out of foil...

abt and eggs = smoke 2 hrs...

gonna try brisket next i think... any recs?
tupacboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #1603
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

NOOooo. You gave up the times, lol.
Man, brisket I will stay out of. There are men on this thread who can make it dance and sing, I just ruin it.
It is pretty costly to be learning a new skill, at least for me. haha. I made mine, then chunked it up and
put it in a crock pot. It was fine after that, a bit dry for it's tenderness. Then there are the cuts, I look
at them and I just do not find them attractive for consumption. Tastes good, but I do love the pork.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #1604
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Brad, what was your time and temp on those brickets?
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:11 PM   #1605
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Brad, what was your time and temp on those brickets?
Let's just say I do not have the kind of pit that is conducive to low, STEADY, and slow.
I am lucky I make the best ribs in Memphis with as little control as i excercise.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #1606
tupacboy
Still Watching My Back

another noob alert...

so i'm looking at this.. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/sho...25-WTS-Brisket

Seems like i need 4 hrs of smoke... then 2 hrs more... then "into the oven" until internal temp reaches 200...can i just keep in the smoker?... then it says FTC? what's FTC?
Old 03-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #1607
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupacboy View Post
another noob alert...

so i'm looking at this.. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/sho...25-WTS-Brisket

Seems like i need 4 hrs of smoke... then 2 hrs more... then "into the oven" until internal temp reaches 200...can i just keep in the smoker?... then it says FTC? what's FTC?
Yes, you can do all the time in the smoker. That's actually preferable.

FTC = Foil, Towel, Cooler. You wrap the finished product in aluminum foil, then a towel, then into a emty cooler. This method will keep the meat moist and at warm temp until you're ready to serve. Works great when you're brisket gets done at 11am and you're not ready to eat until 5pm.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #1608
tupacboy
Still Watching My Back

aww ic ic... thanks! so looks like roughly 16 hrs ish?.... man that's hard to time...
Old 03-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #1609
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Yea, I've not done a brisket myself, but they can take that long.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #1610
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Brisket is some dense meat. Sometimes it will "stall" at a particular internal temp and just sit there for a while, then all of a sudden it will jump up several degrees.

When I cook them it can take anywhere from 12-18 hours, depending on the size.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #1611
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I probably love eating ribs more than anything else I cook on the smoker. However, I think brisket is the most rewarding. Once you get them down it is no harder that cooking a pork butt.

I always cook whole packer briskets. The few times I did just a flat I ended up with a dried out piece of nothing. I cook them at 225 and use just a few mesquite chunks. I only want the smoke to run for six or so hours and I don't want it billowing smoke. I cook them to an internal temp of 170 and them foil them putting some beef broth in the foil. Then I put it back on the smoker until the internal temp is 190. Then I start checking it every 15 minutes or so until the probe goes in with almost no resistance. Then I put in a cooler with some towels to take up the extra space for at least an hour.

BTW... when I cook one at home I don't slice it like the above directions would dictate. I cut the whole thing into and inch or so chunks and make "burnt ends" out of the whole thing. I cut it at about 190 internal, put some more rub on it, put some sauce on it, put it into a tin foil pan, cover it, and put it back on the smoker for an hour. My family will eat that stuff like it is filet.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #1612
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
BTW... when I cook one at home I don't slice it like the above directions would dictate. I cut the whole thing into and inch or so chunks and make "burnt ends" out of the whole thing. I cut it at about 190 internal, put some more rub on it, put some sauce on it, put it into a tin foil pan, cover it, and put it back on the smoker for an hour. My family will eat that stuff like it is filet.
I love what your saying brother...Preach it Smoker-Man!!!

Old 03-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #1613
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Oh god, burnt ends. Cleanup, aisle 1.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #1614
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Interesting about the whole packer cut vs just a flat or blade cut. I once made pastrami out of a whole brisket, but didnt' separate the two smaller cuts. When i sliced it, I had some slices with opposing grains. Made for some tough eating. I was planning next time to use just a blade cut, but maybe I'll rethink that and make sure to separate the two before slicing.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #1615
OLS
Suck It

That's a brilliant way to serve the meat Brent, never would have dawned on me, Everybody gets an end cut.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #1616
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Interesting about the whole packer cut vs just a flat or blade cut. I once made pastrami out of a whole brisket, but didnt' separate the two smaller cuts. When i sliced it, I had some slices with opposing grains. Made for some tough eating. I was planning next time to use just a blade cut, but maybe I'll rethink that and make sure to separate the two before slicing.
I had never seen pastrami made out of anything other than the flat until a couple of years ago. I had some made out of the point and it was just plain nasty. The fat wasn't rendered out and it just didn't work for me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
That's a brilliant way to serve the meat Brent, never would have dawned on me, Everybody gets an end cut.
Yep Brad... it is the stuff!!! Even if you dry out a brisket a bit you can chunk it up, add a little beef broth and sauce and make people think you know what your are doing
Old 03-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #1617
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Even if you dry out a brisket a bit you can chunk it up, add a little beef broth and sauce
and make people think you know what your are doing
Oh the one I dumped in the crock pot after drying it out on the smoker was great.
Just damaged me psychologically. Well that and being dropped on my head at 1.5 yrs.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #1618
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I probably love eating ribs more than anything else I cook on the smoker. However, I think brisket is the most rewarding. Once you get them down it is no harder that cooking a pork butt.

I always cook whole packer briskets. The few times I did just a flat I ended up with a dried out piece of nothing. I cook them at 225 and use just a few mesquite chunks. I only want the smoke to run for six or so hours and I don't want it billowing smoke. I cook them to an internal temp of 170 and them foil them putting some beef broth in the foil. Then I put it back on the smoker until the internal temp is 190. Then I start checking it every 15 minutes or so until the probe goes in with almost no resistance. Then I put in a cooler with some towels to take up the extra space for at least an hour.

Ditto to what Smoking Gator said. I ruined my first brisket, second and third were tough and now it is my family's favorite. Must admit, I've never made the burnt ends, but everyone on the smoking sites just rants/raves. I have to try it next time. Honestly, people now rave on my brisket and it's not that hard, but definitely time consuming. I go for the overnight route now and love it. Keep trying! Steve
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #1619
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

So what's the secret to a good brisket?
Posted via Mobile Device
Chainsaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #1620
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

For me the biggest difference is cooking until tender and not "done". I like pulling mine at 185 or so and then foiling for a least an hour. Early tries for me had me pulling too soon, not accurately measuring the internal temps. I also have found that I do much better with a full packer as it seems easier to keep moist and tender. The final thing for me is to find a good place to get decent meat. I can't find anything decent at standard grocery stores, but have found nice choice meat at a local butcher or even at Costco (for me this is consistent though). Practice!
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote