Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 09-02-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation
Default Is this an ok roaster?

I plan on roasting a pound or so a week, so I am wondering if this Iroast machine would be good or will I be upgrading before long?

I am looking for something easy to use and am nearly certain I won't be roasting more than 2 pounds maximum a week.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.hearthwareiRoast2.php
Old 09-02-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Is this an ok roaster?

I'd call the IRoast a great (maybe perfect) way to learn home coffee roasting; after gaining some good experience it will not likely be the way you'll want to roast 1-2 lbs week.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
floydpink
crazy diamond

Cohiba

I'm probably gonna get this to start.

I like the fact that you can hit preset roast cycles and apparantly get good results.

It should be fun figuring it out and hopefully not burn down the house in the process.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

I would try a hot air popper and just use your ears for a first roaster, Pete. Good learning curve, cheap, and you can decide on a roaster with a higher capacity if you think it is worth it. Then again.. What the hell do I know?
Old 09-02-2009, 09:24 PM   #5
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

First Name: Rob
Trading: (1)
Partagas
germantown rob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
I'm probably gonna get this to start.
That's the attitude . Plan on spending money twice.

Figure on 10 double shots per roast roughly, thats one day of espresso for me and no moka pots, lol.

I really don't think air poppers are much good with out mods to give some control over the roast. If you are handy this is one way but since you have good out door roasting weather you could also build a BBQ roaster.

For the spend and go sort of person I can only say Hottop "B", it is the best especially with a bean mass probe added. The Gene Cafe is by far the easiest I think to get very good roasts out of almost immediately for newbs, plus there are some mods to gain full control over the heater instead of just on and off. Down side is neither of these roasters are what I would call wife or wallet friendly.

So after the new espresso machine and the new grinder I might suggest a stovetop popper to see if roasting is in your blood.
germantown rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #6
Fumes
Not So Memorious

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
Bolivar
Fumes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
I'd call the IRoast a great (maybe perfect) way to learn home coffee roasting; after gaining some good experience it will not likely be the way you'll want to roast 1-2 lbs week.

An excellent first roaster. Small batch size and noisy, but still a great way to start out. After a while you learn how to judge the roast from the smell more than the sound. I still use mine for dry process beans and when I want more control than I can get with the Behmor.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
EvanS

I've never used the iRoast, but my biggest comment is that if you are planning to roast up to 2 lb per week I'd say that the iRoast is a somewhat expensive way to learn roasting and/or see if roasting is in your blood. If you end up not liking to roast then it's nearly $200 gone. If you get the bug then I'd hazard a guess that you WILL want to upgrade capacity, if nothing else.

Take a look at the FreshRoast8. It has a 3oz capacity vs up to about 6 oz for the iRoast. So it's similar to an air popper but it's a much cleaner set up. So again, my comment is based on the assumption that you may ultimately be spending money twice, so maybe save the $110 or so up front.

Other than that I have always heard that the iRoast works great, if you don't mind the noise. On the other hand I guess you could settle in to 2lb/week with the iRoast (if you have the time) whereas it would be a full time job with the FreshRoast.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #8
floydpink
crazy diamond

Cohiba

Good thoughts all around.

I'm positive a popcorn popper would save a lot of money, but fear it would become too much of a pita to keep me interested.

I also looked at the stvetop and metal dog bowl methods, but keep getting drawn to easy settings and neatness.

I've read that the Iroast sounds a lot like a hair dryer when it's running, but will probably do most of the roasting in the garage anyway.

I'm still in the research stages and doubt I'll do anything before the year is up, as my coffee budget is way past the limit.

Thanks for all the input guys.

PS, I just checked out the Freshroast 8 like advised and at half the price, with 4 pounds of green beans, it definitely might make the purchase come sooner.

Is this easy to use?
Old 09-03-2009, 11:21 AM   #9
Resipsa

I have an iroast that I used until I got a hottop, would agree it's an excellent first machine. Still have mine as a backup
Old 09-03-2009, 11:24 AM   #10
floydpink
crazy diamond

Cohiba

More and more, the Iroast seems to be winning. Maybe I'll ask for one for Christmas or look for a used one....
Old 09-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #11
Gargoyle
Got Coffee?

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (7)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
Gargoyle will become famous soon enough

I have the Iroast and am very happy with it. I'm not a home roast expert, but get good results with it... and that's the point -- getting something that is usable and enjoyable while learning how to make a great pot.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:27 PM   #12
EvanS

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
I just checked out the Freshroast 8 like advised and at half the price, with 4 pounds of green beans, it definitely might make the purchase come sooner.

Is this easy to use?
Super easy. No profiles just a timer. Turn timer and the fan and heat start. In this way it is fairly airpopper-like. Also has good chaff collection. Very easy to mod the fan speed to quicken or slow down your roasts.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:38 PM   #13
novasurf
The Roastmaster General

Trading: (2)
novasurf is on a distinguished road

Freshroast 8.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:12 PM   #14
floydpink
crazy diamond

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasurf View Post
Freshroast 8.
All righty, Norm is endorsing the Freshroast8.
After reading more, it's pulling away as the lead roaster
Old 09-04-2009, 04:46 AM   #15
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

I agree with Norm. I started with a Freshroast 8 and then upgraded a couple of years after I had learned what I needed. I also found that once I started roasting I drink less coffee, that is higher quality. Have fun.
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote