Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #21
Playa Habana

Default Re: Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaHarpe View Post
How about buying Mexican cigars, such as Santa Clara or Te Amo, in Mexico? Are they a better deal there (than in the USA)?
How much do they cost in the US and I'll let you know....
Old 04-06-2010, 06:34 AM   #22
LaHarpe

Te Amo and Santa Clara cigars are about $3.00 each if bought by the box in the USA.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:25 AM   #23
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

A friend of mine who lives in Xico visited te Santa Clara cigar factory and brought some cigars back for me. I am not a fan of Te Amo, and was expecting the Santa Clara cigars to be similar. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at these cigars and would buy them if I came across them in one of my local B&M's.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #24
LaHarpe

Yes, I'm also more interested in Santa Clara cigars. My tastes are towards milder cigars, such a Helix naturals. That's why I have little interest in Cuban cigars.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:10 PM   #25
Playa Habana

Quote:
Yes, I'm also more interested in Santa Clara cigars. My tastes are towards milder cigars, such a Helix naturals. That's why I have little interest in Cuban cigars.
Dude, get yourself a Romeo y Julieta belvedere, so very nice, and extremely mild. It's only a relatively small cigar as well maybe 20 minutes, perfect for a midmorning or mid-afternoon with a coffee
Old 04-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #26
Playa Habana

Quote:
Te Amo and Santa Clara cigars are about $3.00 each if bought by the box in the USA.
They range from about 35pesos($2.50) to 120pesos($10) depending on the edition
Old 04-07-2010, 12:23 PM   #27
LaHarpe

I might take your advice and try a Romeo y Julieta Belvedere or two while I'm there -- it looks like they're very reasonably priced. I'd hoped to pick up some Mexican cigars to bring home. It sounds like I won't get much of a savings on those, though.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:17 PM   #28
Playa Habana

Quote:
I might take your advice and try a Romeo y Julieta Belvedere or two while I'm there -- it looks like they're very reasonably priced. I'd hoped to pick up some Mexican cigars to bring home. It sounds like I won't get much of a savings on those, though.
It may be possible to save more if you are picking up a box or so. The owner of this store has another store which carries cigars other than Habanos, I'll sound him out for you
Old 04-12-2010, 05:42 AM   #29
LaHarpe

Are the Romeo y Julieta Belvederes Cuban?
Old 04-12-2010, 03:06 PM   #30
Playa Habana

Quote:
Are the Romeo y Julieta Belvederes Cuban?
Yep, 100%.

Just had a RyJ Belicoso, if you like the belvederes and fancy something larger but just as mild.....wow.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #31
Playa Habana

Ok, as I've said, I'm pretty new to cigars...just done some reseach and it turns out that RyJ do have a non-cuban line, I think they use Nicargua tobacco mainly. Um, at the risk of sounding like I'm bragging I've only smoked the Cubans so can't comment on the non-habano's line.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:46 AM   #32
LaHarpe

I won't be able to smoke a whole box of Cubans down there, so I'll have to buy individual sticks if I get any. I hope to get some Santa Clara's to take home, but I'll only do that if there's a big cost savings. There are plenty of excellent cigars in the USA for just over $2.00 each.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:50 AM   #33
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Don't waste your time or money buying Habanos in Mexico outside of a few select places that have already been mentioned. Fakes are rampant or they are no giveaway. Even finding good non-Cuban cigars is difficult.

Best off to bring your own cigars.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:11 PM   #34
Playa Habana

To be honest going on what has been said, I don't think that there is a huge cost saving to be had on Mexican cigars here in Mexico compared to the US. For sure if you are offerred a cheap Cuban cigar here(playa del carmen) then it's a fake..........although you can get a very nice glass-topped presentation box of 10 Cohiba's for about $15.........

As most of you know I work in the LCDH here, so if you want to know prices then hit me up.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:26 AM   #35
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

First Name: Tyler
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
Snake Hips will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa Habana View Post
Ok, as I've said, I'm pretty new to cigars...just done some reseach and it turns out that RyJ do have a non-cuban line, I think they use Nicargua tobacco mainly. Um, at the risk of sounding like I'm bragging I've only smoked the Cubans so can't comment on the non-habano's line.
No, Romeo y Julieta have no non-Cuban line. Habanos, S.A. produces Cuban Romeo y Julieta cigars, and only Cuban cigars. The Romeo y Julieta you saw is a Dominican brand completely separate from the Cuban brand. They have nothing in common besides the name and packaging art. The Cuban version is made by Habanos, S.A. and the non-Cuban brand is produced by Altadis, S.A. for the American market. Nothing alike and not connected to each other.
Snake Hips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:26 AM   #36
LaHarpe

I think I'll bring my pipe just in case. If I find some good cigars at a reasonable price, so much the better. I'll see if I can get hold of a couple of Romeo y Julieta Belvederes, though. Are the cigars at the Vallarta cigar factor good? They certainly aren't cheap! I've gotten some great deals through the Internet in the USA.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:10 PM   #37
Playa Habana

I have no idea, Puerto Vallarta is pretty far from Playa del Carmen......I'd never heard of them until now, pretty website tho'
Old 04-26-2010, 07:53 AM   #38
LaHarpe

I suspect the factory is mostly a gimmick. Cigars really need to rest and "marry" several weeks to be good.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:15 PM   #39
Noodles
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Noodles is on a distinguished road

First time in Mexico. I will be Cancun in July. There is LCDH Cancun and the new Cohiba place. I am planning on visiting both and spending several hours. How far are they from each other? I am staying at Blvd. Kukulcan Lote 4. How far are they from the two places?

Thanks.
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #40
tomc3084
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (26)
tomc3084 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I won't be able to smoke a whole box of Cubans down there, so I'll have to buy individual sticks if I get any. I hope to get some Santa Clara's to take home, but I'll only do that if there's a big cost savings. There are plenty of excellent cigars in the USA for just over $2.00 each.
and then you go on to say you work a LCDH....I don't understand?