Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
Falsefloor
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Falsefloor is on a distinguished road
Default linering smell

Hi everyone,

I enjoy a nice cigar now and then, but I never smoke them on days I'm with my girlfriend. Sometimes I smoke one on the day before or 2 days before we're getting together, and she says she can tell that I've smoked a cigar, she says she smell/taste it when we kiss or cuddle, even though I've brushed my teeth a couple of times, put on new clothes etc. Is it really possible other people can smell cigar odor even one or two days after you've smoked one? She says my skin smells like it, and my breath. It doesn't really bother her, but I just wonder if the lingering odor really lasts that long and is that strong. It kinda surprised me she could tell.
Falsefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: linering smell

Yes, it's possible. Get a new girlfriend.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Old 02-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post

Yep.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

Showering helps.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

A woman is just a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke. - Rudyard Kipling.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

If she was cooking you dinner she wouldn't smell it.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #8
bighairlogo
Feeling at Home

Trading: (34)
RA
bighairlogo will become famous soon enoughbighairlogo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
If she was cooking you dinner she wouldn't smell it.

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
bighairlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

If it didn't bother her why did she bring it up? Wake up man she's a female (we are assuming ) and there's more to this than meets the eye..or nose as the case may be.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #10
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

Welcome to The Asylum.

1. Clothing - Cigar smell stays on clothing until you wash it. For coats/jackets, it will dissipate after time and quicker if you leave them outside.

2. Hair/Skin - Cigar smell lingers until you shower or you can wait for about a week. At that point, the cigar smell will be overpowered by body odor.

3. Breath - I use Smart Mouth mouthwash. It works very well to eliminate cigar breath.

MCS
Old 02-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #11
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Why do I keep thinking of my Hot Tuna albums?
Old 02-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly View Post
Welcome to The Asylum.

1. Clothing - Cigar smell stays on clothing until you wash it. For coats/jackets, it will dissipate after time and quicker if you leave them outside.

2. Hair/Skin - Cigar smell lingers until you shower or you can wait for about a week. At that point, the cigar smell will be overpowered by body odor.

3. Breath - I use Smart Mouth mouthwash. It works very well to eliminate cigar breath.
Scott is right on with this advice. Smart Mouth is amazing as well. I get it at Walgreens. If you happen to have a mustache or beard, be aware that you have to be thorough in your cleaning. Strangely enough, I also use a neti pot to clean my sinuses and have been told that it helps a lot. But I retrohale everything.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #13
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
Trading: (19)
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

Invest in a tongue cleaner/scraper. It's kinda weird at first, but at least you won't wake up with the cigar taste the next morning. When I smoke in a jacket or hoodie, I just leave it outside to air. Almost completely gone the next day.
RobR1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #14
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Great first post! I'd say get a new girlfriend. Cigars come first.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #15
mjdx88
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
mjdx88 is on a distinguished road

My girlfriend has the same issue, wash your hair and beard 2-3 times, wash your clothes and keep one jacket/hoodie for cigars. Even then if I follow these steps she can still smell it at times.

Finding a new girlfriend is not an option for me....we are getting married at the end of may....she will come around lol
mjdx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #16
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly View Post
Welcome to The Asylum.

MCS
MCS has the gist of it - all three are very important parts in getting rid of the smell. I'd add in there these things though:

1) Depending on where you smoke it might be more than just your clothes that absorb the smell. If you smoke in a B&M or other enclosed area and not outside I've noticed that my wallet, phone (case), and shoes all pick up the smoke smell as well. Generally the first thing I do when I get home from a herf is ditch my clothes (jeans, shirt, jacket - everything) in the laundry room.

2) Showering should get rid of any lingering smoke smell on your body and in your hair except for the fingers that held the cigar. I've read that if you take some cheap toothpaste (the white pasty kind) and use that as a mildly abrasive cleaner on your fingers it gets rid of that smell. I've not had success with that but that should dissipate by the next day.

3) Breath - this can be the most difficult but with the proper tools the most effective. Obviously this is where the concentration of the cigar smell will be, especially if you're all up in your gf's face. I take a three pronged approach to cigar breath management. 1) Brush your teeth and tongue 2) Scrape your tongue with a tongue scraper 3) Use Smart Mouth mouth wash.

The Smart Mouth mouth wash is a 3rd generation mouth wash. It doesn't just cover up bad breath temporarily with a minty smell but actively prevents bad breath (here is a more in depth explanation). I wouldn't use any other type of mouth wash when trying to get rid of cigar breath.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #17
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdx88 View Post
My girlfriend has the same issue, wash your hair and beard 2-3 times, wash your clothes and keep one jacket/hoodie for cigars. Even then if I follow these steps she can still smell it at times.

Finding a new girlfriend is not an option for me....we are getting married at the end of may....she will come aroundd lol
They never come around because they don't have to. Once you're married they continue to place further conditions upon you because they know compliance is easier than divorce. She knows that you'll go along to get along. Add children and guaranteed she'll have her way.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #18
Falsefloor
Just in from the Storm

Falsefloor is on a distinguished road

thanks for all your advice! I'll sure try it. (except for the finding a new girlfriend advice)

She doesn't necessarily mind the smell, but she just mentioned she could still smell it 2 days after, and this kinda surprised me. Anyone else heard this from their SO's?
Falsefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #19
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

If I've herfed and smoked 3+ cigars she mentions she can still smell it on my breath a couple days later. With that many cigars not much you can do at that point besides minimize it.

With one cigar though? Usually can't tell after half a day if I've properly cleaned out my mouth.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #20
dc_glidden
Shazbot

First Name: Don
dc_glidden is on a distinguished road

My wife was able to smell when I smoke cigarettes long ago, but for a while now she has not noticed the cigars, or even mentioned them.

I don't smoke many during a day, maybe 2 tops, morning with a cup of joe, and maybe one after a awesome dinner with another cup of joe or a splash of Rum&Coke.

I do only smoke in the garage, or on the front porch and as others mentioned, I also leave my hoody in the garage to air out, use the preventative measures of fresh breath for there is no need to share my hobby with those that don't enjoy it as I do.
dc_glidden is offline   Reply With Quote