Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice
Default Thinking about digitally cleansing again.

I've noticed again recently that I am on my smart phone WAY too damned much. ALWAYS on the boards, email, facebook, etc. And when I stop to think about it... fall is here. There's some great colors to be seen soon. Hell, I even feel like I need to spend more time playing with the kids than I do now.

So, my plan is the same as last year:

For 10 days:

no internet (other than work email). So, no forums, facebook, etc.

cell phone for calls only (no texting). Of course I can't stop people from texting me, but I cannot respond by texting.

Thoughts? Think you could do it?
Old 09-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #2
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Thinking about digitally cleansing again.

Check back in Jan, feb, mar, or apr. If there is no fantasy football or baseball going on, I could maybe make it. My wife has banned me from looking at my phone when we go out to dinner.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Hell, I live that way! I've never owned a cell phone or any other portable device. As for forums, I'm on a couple of hobbyist sites, but that's it.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard lots of guys talk about this and even do it. I never really understood, fully.
When there's something else to do, I do it. If there are others around, I'm engaged with them. If I'm outside or traveling or just doing anything, I enjoy that a lot more and I'm always unplugged. I'm excellent at not answering the phone and missing text messages, too. I get back to them when I can, just like in the old days when you answered the phone that hung on the wall or returned calls on your answering machine.
If you think that's what you need to get back to a good balance, by all means, do it.
Or maybe just do the other stuff when it's there to do, and find a balance that suits?

I told Lisa I was "going off the grid" when I recently shut off my facebook account. I just did that because it was one thing too much and it bothered me. Maybe you could trim off some fat and that'd help get back to a balance?
Old 09-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Leigh and I are doing an 8 day road tip next month. Will have limited access to net. Really looking forward to it.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Do call forwarding, a new VM message and power the phone off.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #7
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

haha i wouldnt survive. just bought a lapdock that turns my phone into a laptop. one might say im attached to my tech.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I've heard lots of guys talk about this and even do it. I never really understood, fully.
When there's something else to do, I do it. If there are others around, I'm engaged with them. If I'm outside or traveling or just doing anything, I enjoy that a lot more and I'm always unplugged. I'm excellent at not answering the phone and missing text messages, too. I get back to them when I can, just like in the old days when you answered the phone that hung on the wall or returned calls on your answering machine.
If you think that's what you need to get back to a good balance, by all means, do it.
Or maybe just do the other stuff when it's there to do, and find a balance that suits?

I told Lisa I was "going off the grid" when I recently shut off my facebook account. I just did that because it was one thing too much and it bothered me. Maybe you could trim off some fat and that'd help get back to a balance?

I'm just feeling like I'm addicted to technology. I mean, I will cycle through CA, one other cigar forum, an auto detailing forum, a car enthusiast forum, facebook, then check CA again.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Lol. See, yeah, that's a bit much.
If you did this digital cleanse last year and it had no lasting effect, you might need to just cut one thing out. See how that goes. I don't mean abandon it, just remove one or two things from your routine to take the edge and intensity off.
I think you'll be more comfortable in not being so obsessive, too.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #10
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

It's my addictive personality I guess. Or my extreme boredom at work as of late.

But great advice, Scott. I should cut a few things out, or maybe only check once or twice a day. For some reason, I think I'm going to miss something (like good WTS threads, for instance). Gotta break that mindset, methinks.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #11
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about

The Internet, Facebook, Twitter, oh my! Really, how important is all that crap compared to family and friends with whom you can physically interact with? (not sayin ditch yer buds on line, but you know what I mean) I'm with Scott on this one Bro, trim the fat!
Old 09-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #12
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

Cell phone would be easy down here. We have sh1tty island phones but I always leave mine on the table at home. The internet would be hard as it is my only connection with the real world. Without it I would be stuck in the lotus room for the rest of my life.
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #13
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

That kind of abstention would be too much for me.

I need to use my phone, computer, etc., to keep in touch with my kids (who ONLY text), my wife (who calls, emails and texts) and my friends (email and text). So I always have my phone and respond to emails and texts as time permits.

I check CA pretty regularly several times a day and some other forums a bit less -- but this all depends upon my workload and other activities. If work gets busy or I am out-and-about then do not check in on the forums as much. If I am really busy then I may go several days without checking and then I usually only check for "important" stuff and usually do not post.

If I get a PM, I will get an email notification and depending upon the topic and whether or not I think it is something that can wait I will check the forum and respond.

That's just me. Everyone is different and you have to do what is best for you.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #14
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
This.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #15
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

I can live without FB & Twitter, but not this place.....good luck to ya
Old 09-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #16
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

There is something very refreshing about being off grid. I enjoy technology and this is how I pay the rent. However, I feel there is a blissfulness in the simple life.

So, I applaud you in this. Good luck with the DT's.