Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #561
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

First Name: Justin
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Photography Thread

Thats the way I was doing it make a black and white layer and then mask it revealing the berries but that is time consuming
McSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:58 PM   #562
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

I can see joining this thread was a very bad mistake on my part... I havn't even dug up any images and I can't keep my hands off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSmokey View Post
I've been doing this the hard way apparently, I'm still a little dense on PS so pictorial lesson would be great
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Me too.
I have Elements.
Would love to figure out how to do B&W with some things in color.
I guess it is a "layers" thing?
Depends STRONGLY who you ask, and what you are doing with it.

DBAll's tutorial is great for when there is lots of intricate detail that you don't feel like masking around bit by bit with the brush. It's super fast and effective.

I prefer to use layers and a brush mask because it tends to capture a little more of the full color range and some other natural colors. For example, a red berry usually looks more natural if you brush in the brown spot on the berry, and the little green bud. But this takes TIME, LOTS OF TIME.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:28 PM   #563
DBall
Cigar Jesus

First Name: Dan
Trading: (46)
RyJ
DBall has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
Depends STRONGLY who you ask, and what you are doing with it.

DBAll's tutorial is great for when there is lots of intricate detail that you don't feel like masking around bit by bit with the brush. It's super fast and effective.

I prefer to use layers and a brush mask because it tends to capture a little more of the full color range and some other natural colors. For example, a red berry usually looks more natural if you brush in the brown spot on the berry, and the little green bud. But this takes TIME, LOTS OF TIME.
You can use layers... keep a color one and desaturate one, have the color one on the bottom and the grey on top. Then select the bottom layer, grab the color, go to the desaturated layer and delete it (so the color shows through), etc, etc, etc....

or you can do this as I typed a few pages back... it will grab the things the color selector failed to like spectrrr said if you use the lasso tool and the shift button (second paragraph):

Quote:
The easiest way to do it is to open up the pic in photoshop or GIMP and find the color you want to preserve. These instructions are for PS, Gimp is pretty much the same, however.

Select it with the magic wand (and if you uncheck the "contiguous" box, it will select everything of that color)... you can fine tune what you select by using the lasso tool and the shift button to add to your selections or the alt button to subtract from it if you grab too much... zooming in is very helpful in this process.

Anyway, once you select everything of the color you want, right click and choose "select inverse" (you have to be on the "rectangle" select tool to find that in the right click menu... you could also "select inverse" from Select --> Select Inverse... or you could use [ctrl]+[shift]+[i]) and then go to Image --> Adjustments --> Desaturate.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:29 PM   #564
the nub
Papa Chino

Trading: (2)
LGC
the nub is on a distinguished road

One of the shots I took on a recent trip to Havana. This is a view from my casa, overlooking Centro.

the nub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:33 AM   #565
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Some band work I did for an up&coming Christian artist. Not my usual cup of joe and feels more like an edgy senior picture, but it was fun and he got what he needed

Old 01-05-2010, 06:40 AM   #566
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by the nub View Post
One of the shots I took on a recent trip to Havana. This is a view from my casa, overlooking Centro.
mmm, nice....

one day I hope to visit the island.... tho maybe I'll wait a few more years til my Spanish is passable

This suggestion comes from someone who is admittedly VERY biased towards over-contrasty images, so take it with a rain of salt: Have you considered bumping the contrast of the city portion to make it more vibrant, or were you going for more of the grungy appearance?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:48 AM   #567
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

GIANT and beautiful Catholic church about 30min from my house in OH

Old 01-05-2010, 06:53 AM   #568
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

The Journalist in me as always loved this sequence of images, even if the color and composition can leave something to be desired.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:59 AM   #569
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Love this picture! I just went and leveled and balanced it.

If this is unacceptable let me know I did not see a copyright.

I really love this pic
Old 01-05-2010, 07:11 AM   #570
gbum
Feeling at Home

First Name: Asyraf
Trading: (0)
Partagas
gbum is on a distinguished road

wow Francis,your images are super awesome!do you have a blog or a web?
Old 01-05-2010, 07:46 AM   #571
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbum View Post
wow Francis,your images are super awesome!do you have a blog or a web?
Thanks - no blog, and website is ANCIENT, so nothing really to look at there. I retired from photography last year to pursue a family business, however I'm about 4 years behind on getting any images posted online
I've recently started the slow process of moving my entire collection online to http://cardullo.zenfolio.com/portfolio as a backup... but there is NOTHING To see at the moment... give me a while (a year ) and I'll get a portfolio of past work posted
Old 01-05-2010, 07:54 AM   #572
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
The Journalist in me as always loved this sequence of images, even if the color and composition can leave something to be desired.

Don't see an issue with color and composition at all. Your candids remind me of mine when I did wedding photography. These photos are alive and the color is clearly attributed to your control of aperture and bounce lighting or diffused lighting.
I swear I am looking at my stuff. Unfortunately, mine was all done with medium format (Hasselblad 500CM and Mamiya C330) and is antiquated. I would have to scan all that stuff. I have very little in the digital world as I left the business around 14 years ago when I relocated out of state, when digital was just starting to take over for wedding photographers. Today, most of what I have done involves my grandson. I burned out doing over 1,200 weddings in my time, in a 10 year period, and didn't want to see a camera for a good while, until the joy of my life came along a couple of years ago.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:55 AM   #573
shortsqueeze
Legitimately Sublime

First Name: Josh
Trading: (1)
shortsqueeze is on a distinguished road

WOW! I just finished reading through this thread and you take great pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead View Post

-Roland.
shortsqueeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:04 AM   #574
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
GIANT and beautiful Catholic church about 30min from my house in OH

Lots of similarities. Mine, old school looking as I AM old.
Yours more modern in spite of B&W.
Both of us seem to enjoy fisheyes, although I generally limited my use of it for shots like this, that incorporated an impressive background. You don't want to know how much I paid for that Hasselblad fisheye. I think I must still be paying for it 20 years later.
Nice to see stuff that reminds me of my days chasing brides around in limos.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:06 AM   #575
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortsqueeze View Post
WOW! I just finished reading through this thread and you take great pictures.
I havn't read the whole thread yet... but the few I've seen have been great
Old 01-05-2010, 08:17 AM   #576
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

First Name: Justin
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Both of us seem to enjoy fisheyes, although I generally limited my use of it for shots like this, that incorporated an impressive background. You don't want to know how much I paid for that Hasselblad fisheye. I think I must still be paying for it 20 years later.

I Love the fisheye lens effect , a fisheye[undecided] and the Nikon 18-24mm wide angle are the top 2 lenses on my wishlist
McSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #577
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Don't see an issue with color and composition at all. Your candids remind me of mine when I did wedding photography. These photos are alive and the color is clearly attributed to your control of aperture and bounce lighting or diffused lighting.
I swear I am looking at my stuff. Unfortunately, mine was all done with medium format (Hasselblad 500CM and Mamiya C330) and is antiquated. I would have to scan all that stuff. I have very little in the digital world as I left the business around 14 years ago when I relocated out of state, when digital was just starting to take over for wedding photographers. Today, most of what I have done involves my grandson. I burned out doing over 1,200 weddings in my time, in a 10 year period, and didn't want to see a camera for a good while, until the joy of my life came along a couple of years ago.
That would have absolutely burned me out! Always good to have that much business however

I learned ever so briefly on my father's hassy system (he had retired 10 years prior but kept the gear), then ended up selling it to finance the shift to Canon digital. You're assessment of a bounce flash is correct. I started in news journalism and that influenced my wedding work considerably. Lighting was kept small and on camera, high ISO and available light whenever possible, I never even owned a tripod if you can believe it.

Quote:

I know exactly how much you paid for that Hasselblad fisheye I SOLD one of the Hasselblad SuperWide cameras to pay for my digital system. (although at the time my father picked it up at a pawn shop for $100)
Thanks for sharing, love the first pic, reminds me so much of the beauty of film. Can't get that kind of a shot out of the camera in digital, have to head into Photoshop to make it happen. Quite doable, but prohibitively time consuming considering the last wedding I shot was 3900 images in one day (average wedding hovered around 2000 images), so I had to pick and choose my photoshop battles .... I LOVE B&W images, LOVE em. There are not very many shots I wouldn't prefer to see in B&W. Fisheye shots probably only accounted for 1% of my images for the day... just a couple of the church/reception hall etc to capture the scope of things... but I always considered the shots to be indispensable for capturing the story of the day. I also had a 14mm aspherical non-fish that I loved even more than a fish on many shots.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:48 AM   #578
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSmokey View Post
I Love the fisheye lens effect , a fisheye[undecided] and the Nikon 18-24mm wide angle are the top 2 lenses on my wishlist
Are you on a cropped sensor or full frame?

on a cropped sensor, I would highly recommend one of the APS-C sized 10-24 or 12-22 type lenses before I got a fisheye. (translates to a 16-35 range on full frame). Fish is fun, but you can use a superwide sooo much more often.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:48 AM   #579
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

Great pictures everyone thanks for posting them.

Chris.....
Old 01-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #580
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Are you on a cropped sensor or full frame?

on a cropped sensor, I would highly recommend one of the APS-C sized 10-24 or 12-22 type lenses before I got a fisheye. (translates to a 16-35 range on full frame). Fish is fun, but you can use a superwide sooo much more often.
Superwide is certainly neat.
Fisheye is not for every shot in my opinion. There are many instances where I just don't think it works well at all.
I always tried to mine where I could keep the main subject of my photo as normal as possible, while distorting the surroundings. That was just my personal preference.