Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 12-10-2008, 09:27 AM   #81
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road
Default Re: nice rums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Note to the rum rookies, however, you want a white or silver rum for Mojitos, not a dark or anejo. One of the Rummies can correct me if I am wrong, though.
A dark rum will work fine if that's what you want/have available. I use lighter/white rums for mixing because they tend to be cheaper, and the complexities of a premium rum tend to get lost in a mixed drink. Kinda like smoking a Siglo VI instead of a yardgar while mowin' the lawn.
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:02 PM   #82
GUSTO

So I've read elsewhere from those who have tried both that the Zaya from Guatemala is definitely better than the current one from Trinidad.
Are you saying the Trinidad variety is an excellent rum as well ?

Tried the NC Matusalem for the first time last night and thought it rocked!
Old 12-13-2008, 05:42 PM   #83
JbGilmore

This is going to be hard to find for most of you I believe but there is a rum that is new to the scene called Kilo Kai that is pretty awesome! Definitely grab a bottle if you ever come across it!
Old 12-13-2008, 09:40 PM   #84
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JbGilmore View Post
This is going to be hard to find for most of you I believe but there is a rum that is new to the scene called Kilo Kai that is pretty awesome! Definitely grab a bottle if you ever come across it!
My son mentioned that rum to me a few weeks ago, while we were discussing a few different spirits. My son lives in the Chicago suburbs. I believe he said that it was only available in Illinois and a few other mid-west states. I have to laugh, as his description was just the opposite of yours, saying that is was pure rot gut! I guess I'll have to get my hands on some to see for myself!
Old 12-14-2008, 01:43 PM   #85
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUSTO View Post
So I've read elsewhere from those who have tried both that the Zaya from Guatemala is definitely better than the current one from Trinidad.
Are you saying the Trinidad variety is an excellent rum as well ?

Tried the NC Matusalem for the first time last night and thought it rocked!
From what I've read it's about 50/50. Seems like the people who were diehard Zaya whores prefer the old version, but most accept the new one is good, just not AS good. The rest of the crowd who didn't buy Zaya by the case seem to think it's comparable, some say it's hard to differentiate, and some say it's better. Everyone has their favorite, but it seems to me the new Zaya is still considered a good to excellent rum, depending on your tastes.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:07 PM   #86
Bubba - NJ
Deep Cherry Finish

First Name: Rolf
Partagas
Bubba - NJ is on a distinguished road

I got my bottle of Zaya and tried it on the rocks . I'm not real wild about the flavor but it did immediately coat my tongue . Any recommendations as to what I could do to get myself to tolerate the flavor . I didn't get any sweetness from it at all .
Bubba - NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:42 AM   #87
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba - NJ View Post
I didn't get any sweetness from it at all .
Sweet flavors are much more noticeable at warmer temperatures, so use less ice. I like sweet rums like Zaya and Zacapa neat. If that's not your taste, try a single ice cube. If THAT doesn't work, pour it in a glass of coke
Old 12-19-2008, 12:01 AM   #88
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

picked up a bottle of Trini Zaya for 26.99 the other day. Had a glass and chucked the bicardi that was sitting in the bar. Lol
Old 12-21-2008, 01:49 AM   #89
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Speaking of rum's, I'm in Hawaii right now and in Waikiki in the Sherraton hotel there is a bar called Rum & Fire. THis place is flat out unreal. 101 different bottles of rum with some of the most amazing Mai Tai's and Mojito's I've ever had. Not to mention they are pouring Guatemalan Zaya. Were going back tomorrow night, I'll try and get some pictures and update this thread with them.

http://www.rumfirewaikiki.com/
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #90
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Picked up a few bottles recently. I just bought a bottle of Pyrat XO, another bottle of Zacapa 23, and am waiting on 3 bottles of Guatemalan Zaya from a brother on here.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #91
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Been meaning to post about rum, had the chance to try a few new ones over the holidays:

Bacardi 8 - I was pleasantly surprised. A lot more flavor in this one than every other Bacardi I've tried, and for the price, it's really darn good. I'd definitely buy this for mixing or even straight sipping. It's not terribly complex, but that's part of the Puerto Rican style that I like.

Don Q Grand Anejo - I was a little let down by this one. It's good, but tastes young for something labeled 'grand anejo'. Needed ice to cut the burn a bit, and the flavors were somewhat muted. Not bad, but a bit overpriced.

Zaya - I finally got my hands on a bottle. I started looking for one last January, but by then all the local shops had sold out and didn't get any more in until the shift to Trinidad rum. Definitely a strong vanilla flavor in this rum, very smooth, and quite sweet. It reminds me very much of the other Angostura rums, probably closer to the 1919 with a bit more sweetness. I've long been a fan of Angostura though, and I like the vanilla, so I'm very pleased with this one. I have no idea how it compares to the old bottle (can't find it locally, can't order it online...stupid state laws), but I'm happy with this one.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #92
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
Been meaning to post about rum, had the chance to try a few new ones over the holidays:

Bacardi 8 - I was pleasantly surprised. A lot more flavor in this one than every other Bacardi I've tried, and for the price, it's really darn good. I'd definitely buy this for mixing or even straight sipping. It's not terribly complex, but that's part of the Puerto Rican style that I like.

Don Q Grand Anejo - I was a little let down by this one. It's good, but tastes young for something labeled 'grand anejo'. Needed ice to cut the burn a bit, and the flavors were somewhat muted. Not bad, but a bit overpriced.

Zaya - I finally got my hands on a bottle. I started looking for one last January, but by then all the local shops had sold out and didn't get any more in until the shift to Trinidad rum. Definitely a strong vanilla flavor in this rum, very smooth, and quite sweet. It reminds me very much of the other Angostura rums, probably closer to the 1919 with a bit more sweetness. I've long been a fan of Angostura though, and I like the vanilla, so I'm very pleased with this one. I have no idea how it compares to the old bottle (can't find it locally, can't order it online...stupid state laws), but I'm happy with this one.
I've got a buddy that this is the only rum he drinks. I don't get it, doesn't do anything for me.

PS: Going to crack that 1 Barrel to try soon.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:14 AM   #93
SmokeyNL

was for sale at an Amsterdam shop, made croatan drool a bit
Old 01-05-2009, 09:40 AM   #94
SilverFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyNL View Post

was for sale at an Amsterdam shop, made croatan drool a bit

That is devine
Old 01-05-2009, 09:45 AM   #95
SmokeyNL

I only know it from looking at it, but even the bottle is amazing as is the glass that is included. it also comes with an invitation for the HC factory in Cuba
Old 03-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #96
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Thoughts on Montecristo???

I enjoyed the Silver a lot!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:22 AM   #97
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Never tried it. Sorry.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #98
coach
Hiding in Klug"s Humi

Trading: (3)
HUpmann
coach will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Thoughts on Montecristo???

I enjoyed the Silver a lot!!!

thought the 12yr had a "scotch" overtone" IMO
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #99
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach View Post
thought the 12yr had a "scotch" overtone" IMO
Thank you!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #100
Parshooter
I'm a friend of Gary S

First Name: Marc
Trading: (2)