Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-28-2022, 10:49 AM   #1
bruceolee
King of Rants

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough
Default Series X - Tabu

So this now extinct brand was produced by EO brands and erik espinoza. The cigar was produced by Oliva and ultimately was sued by the Fuentes over the letter X copyright and lost. I purchased these through the now extinct tobacco world in deerfield beach. I believe it is now a smoke inn. I've had this cigar since the club stogie days so we're talking at least 15 years of age added to it so we'll see how the flavors have settled after all this time.So, pour out your 40oz paper wrapped bottle of olde english as we make this brand extinct and say goodbye to the Series X Tabu. So, off to the review

Note: I believe it's a nicaraguan puro. it's been a while for me though. If anyone has more info about them please add you're post, I've spoken to erik about this twice and this cigar is never coming back. The famous nicaraguan 3000 was as close to a resurrection as i've ever seen. The closest I've found now is the 601 blue label box press in flavors

https://www.cigarforums.net/threads/...nte-feud.7362/ a good post explaining the lawsuit

Wrapper: silky dark chocolate wrapper with minimal veins and slight box press

Draw: perfect milkshake draw

immediately i’m getting deep sweet chocolate, earthiness, sweet tobacco, tea, hints of coffee with cream, very creamy on the finish, some spice, vanilla, I’m amazed and how well this cigar has held up over the years. it was truly built for war, hints of hay/grass,

chocolatey goodness, earthiness, sweet tobacco, very creamy, coffee with cream, dry fruit, vanilla, very present but mellow flavors, slight hay/grass, tea, white pepper, spice, caramel,

earthiness, chocolate, vanilla, pepper, spice, hay, tea, still a very creamy finish, The favors never really changed but just built up in boldness as this cigar progressed, caramel,

Ash: white and held nice and compactly

Finish:it really is a shame Oliva will never produce anymore of these because they were special. This cigar is a chocolate/earth bomb and it hit all the right supporting notes to make it special. I was going to save it for a birthday smoke but right now i have too many birthday smokes so you guys get to enjoy this review. The flavors started mellow but progressed in strength as it went along and really made this something special. I'd say buy a box of them but you can't anymore which is a shame.I've had this cigar sitting for 15+ years and it's flavors were still all robust and alive which is a testimony to their quality. I hope you enjoyed this review of a very rare, if not, extinct cigar. God bless you all!
Old 01-28-2022, 11:19 AM   #2
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice
Default Re: Series X - Tabu

Your reviews are always very educational. Thank you.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:34 AM   #3
bruceolee
King of Rants

Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough

I just checked famous smokes and they have the famous nicaraguan 3000's back in stock
Old 01-28-2022, 11:36 AM   #4
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Great post Jason. Interesting story too. Thanks again!
Old 01-28-2022, 12:08 PM   #5
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Awesome review. Shame they’re not made any more.
Old 01-28-2022, 12:33 PM   #6
bruceolee
King of Rants

Bolivar

https://www.famous-smoke.com/brand/f...on-3000-cigars

here's a link to the closest to the series X i've found. these tend to go quick. I picked up a bundle today
Old 01-28-2022, 12:55 PM   #7
sigsauer
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (63)
Partagas
sigsauer has a spectacular aura aboutsigsauer has a spectacular aura aboutsigsauer has a spectacular aura about

Man Bruceolee has all the goods
sigsauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 12:58 PM   #8
bruceolee
King of Rants

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigsauer View Post
Man Bruceolee has all the goods
Nah! Just the one otherwise my collection looks like anyone elses. I don't even have an opus x in my collection. Da Klugs has the humidor i envy the most. He's the one you should be jealous of

God bless you!
Old 01-28-2022, 01:30 PM   #9
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Great review!
Old 01-29-2022, 08:52 AM   #10
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Wonderful review Jason! You'll have to tell us how the new bundle compares.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 08:26 PM   #11
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

Nice review!

I never actually saw one of these in the wild. Supposedly the first batch of Famous Nic 3000 were the Series X that Oliva couldn't sell as Series X.

The Nic 3000 have been around always since then. They have been hit or miss for me (mostly hit). The last bundle I bought was a few years ago and they were a solid smoke. I came upon them while playing cabinet Tetris a few days ago.Your review made me want to dig one out. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2022, 08:41 PM   #12
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I sprung for a bundle of the Nic 3000 torps with all the talk about them in this thread. Been a long time I’d last had one.
Old 02-05-2022, 01:29 PM   #13
bruceolee
King of Rants

Bolivar

I'm smoking one the the Famous 3000 nicaraguan grand robusto's ROTT and i'm shocked by how much it reminds me of the series X. Lots of great earthiness and chocolate mixed with toastiness, hay/grass, and so on. I'm really glad i ordered a bundle of these while they last. I'll do a formal review in a month or so
Old 02-05-2022, 03:19 PM   #14
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceolee View Post
I'm smoking one the the Famous 3000 nicaraguan grand robusto's ROTT and i'm shocked by how much it reminds me of the series X. Lots of great earthiness and chocolate mixed with toastiness, hay/grass, and so on. I'm really glad i ordered a bundle of these while they last. I'll do a formal review in a month or so
Nice!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 05:34 PM   #15
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

I bought a bundle last week to try. Should’ve bought two.