Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2010, 11:57 AM   #641
SilverFox

Default Re: Photography Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dux View Post
How many people take their camera every where they go incase of that photo op?
I had been away from it but now it is with me most times.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #642
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
Have been following this thread again and you all have me carrying my camera everywhere again.

Nothing jumped out at me yet but here are a few other of mine that I really like.
And this one was just capturing an amazing moment on film - my daughter dancing to her own internal music. I had lowered my shutter speed for lighting but like how the soft blur helps to show motion.......but then I am biased

Great shot Shawn. This is one of the best pics in this whole thread.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:57 PM   #643
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

I was at the camera store today picking up some film. I saw something on the shelf and i just had to grab it. Too many good reviews and recommendations to pass up.

Shot with my 50mm 1.8
Old 01-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #644
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead View Post
Cutters?

-Roland.
I like these Mark. The contrasting colors of the cutters themselves and the bg. I realize the back is supposed to be out of focus but I would like to see more of the front in focus.

Im currently looking at highschool AP photo classes and all I see and hear is bokeh, bokeh, bokeh. I bugs the hell out of me that so many new photographers (not directed at you in any way) use the technique to mask the fact that they cannot take a picture that is in perfect focus. Ansel Adams is rolling over in his grave as I type this.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:41 PM   #645
Roland of Gilead

What are Moms for?

-Roland.

Last edited by Roland of Gilead; 01-14-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #646
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

ooooo fun Mark!

First photos with new light diffuser. Tree Fetish

Old 01-14-2010, 11:15 PM   #647
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
I was at the camera store today picking up some film. I saw something on the shelf and i just had to grab it. Too many good reviews and recommendations to pass up.

Shot with my 50mm 1.8

An alternate viewpoint for your consideration. AS ALWAYS, shoot what you like and like what you shoot! (yup, ripped that off from cigars, buts its applicable!)

I ditched my FongDong a few years ago. Relegated it to the occasional wireless 2nd flash usage before it mercifully got lost.

Save the packaging on yours, head to walmart and give this thing a try. I shot entire weddings with it for the last few years.

http://www.abetterbouncecard.com/a-b...-the-original/
That's the website and the ORIGINAL bounce card that I have, use and love. It look's like he's done a lot of renovations in the last 3 years and turned it into a business. He used to just show you how to make them. Feel free to peruse the site, but HERE is the video on how to make it yourself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNCmuExlHvM
(disclaimer: he rambles, have patience)

His rubber bands work really well (I have one), but you can use a couple of those colored wristbands every charity and cause organization in the world sells for a $1. I haven't tried any of his commercial products, but they look quite good and I swear by his original version.

Rubber bands + scissors + walmart + flat-packing = win

This was almost certainly done with that card - note the complete absence of raccoon eyes, and that was very much a spur of the moment shot with ZERO setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
Old 01-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #648
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

First Name: geRRy
Trading: (7)
ERdM
The Professor has disabled reputation

Really just a series of snapshots rather than a proper photo. Shot at ISO 3200, f/2.8, 42mm, 1/125-1/160, AI Servo AF, aperture priority.

Join the CA Lottery (clicky). It's fun!!!
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:43 PM   #649
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

Scary! Is this multiple set ups or did your lens auto focus between shots?
Old 01-16-2010, 07:12 AM   #650
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

ERdM

Quote:
Scary! Is this multiple set ups or did your lens auto focus between shots?
hehe ... an artist never tells.

okay, I'll tell. it's actually two setups. first two shots are one take, second two are a second take. notice how well the camera stayed focused on the cue between 1 & 2, though the subject (cue) distance changed from 3.97 to 3.19m. those were shots 2 & 3 of a continuous shutter setup; but my batteries don't have their best charge (been running on the same charge for over a week with a lot of shooting) and the high ISO slows things down a little, so I missed the landing. At its best, though, this camera will only capture 3.x/sec -- and we're talking under a full charge and optimal ISO & lighting.

it's a fun series, no?

Old 01-16-2010, 12:11 PM   #651
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

I'm Out Of Everyone's League, Here, But Here Are Some Pics Of My "Mancave".

My Patio With My Black Cat Smokin' Buddy "Oshman"

My View Of The Golf Course From My Back Yard.

CC Welcome! Thanks, All!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #652
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

Looking good Greg. :-D
Old 01-16-2010, 12:43 PM   #653
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Looking good Greg. :-D
Thanks! Not As Crisp As Your Photos, Bro. Any Suggestions?
Old 01-16-2010, 12:57 PM   #654
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Thanks! Not As Crisp As Your Photos, Bro. Any Suggestions?
good start greg. it would help if you were able to retain the exif info, Greg -- that way we could see how the photo was shot (lens, focal length, aperture, shutter speed, etc.).

the first picture looks soft; but it may be camera shake. the second picture is over exposed in the foreground, probably from the flash going off; but it looks a lot sharper.

PS, I wanna herf on *your* back patio.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:37 PM   #655
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
good start greg. it would help if you were able to retain the exif info, Greg -- that way we could see how the photo was shot (lens, focal length, aperture, shutter speed, etc.).

the first picture looks soft; but it may be camera shake. the second picture is over exposed in the foreground, probably from the flash going off; but it looks a lot sharper.

PS, I wanna herf on *your* back patio.
You're Welcome Anytime, Bro! I Inadvertantly Had the VR "Off" On My Nikon Lens, So I Probably Did Have Some Camera Shake. I Usually Have That Problem. The Shots were on "Auto" Mode, just About Daylight. Thanks! Anything Else I Should Work on?
Old 01-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #656
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
You're Welcome Anytime, Bro! I Inadvertantly Had the VR "Off" On My Nikon Lens, So I Probably Did Have Some Camera Shake. I Usually Have That Problem. The Shots were on "Auto" Mode, just About Daylight. Thanks! Anything Else I Should Work on?
Something that's made a HUGE difference for me (as far as I still have to go/grow) is this: take the camera off "auto" mode. If you have it on auto, you don't gain a sense of what different apertures, shutter speeds, and ISOs do to the image. Ricky/12stones threw me into a whole new world when he was up here for our her in October. I was running the auction and needed someone to take over the shooting. He immediately took it off auto, turned the flash off, adjusted the various settings, and I was totally shocked by the results. I don't know that I've used "auto" more than once or twice since then.

Sure ... you'll get a lot of crap shots; but that's part of the learning process.

Another thing: shoot in RAW and use the Nikon RAW processing software or one of the Adobe products (Lightroom or Adobe Camera RAW, which is part of Photoshop/Bridge). Aside from snapshots, the JPEGs aren't as useful. With RAW, you have a lot more control over your image in post-processing and are able to correct things that wouldn't be possible with JPEGs.

Finally, join a good photography forum. I'm becoming a fixture on a Canon one. While I can't recommend a specific Nikon one, I know there are one or two out there (because I've heard them mentioned by Nikon folks).

Have fun!!!!!

Old 01-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #657
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Thanks For The Tips, D!
Old 01-17-2010, 01:22 AM   #658
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

woohoo, found some of my London pictures on the webserver. I was there for 6 weeks shooting, with a week in Prague mixed in there. That was 3 1/2 years ago, my post-processing routine has improved A LOT since then....

A few "just for fun" images:

Outside the London Bridge

Lockerbie, Scotland

Random guy on the street in Cardiff, Wales

And some portrait work:
(both shot in the same studio and same day)

Old 01-17-2010, 01:28 AM   #659
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

And a few from the week in Prague:

Old 01-17-2010, 01:29 AM   #660
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

And two more from Prague:

ok, done now, more in a few months