Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-19-2019, 08:17 PM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Balmoral Dueto Robusto

In 2018, Royal Agio announced that they would start with a Signature series. And the idea behind the series is a collaboration with another cigar manufacturer each year. Now that’s not a unique idea, Viaje has been doing that for a few years, others have done it as a ‘one off’ like Nosotros (Drew Estate & Illusione), The T (Caldwell, A.J. Fernandez, Matt Booth) and there are more examples out there.
For the first Signature, Agio reached out to Ernesto Perez-Carrillo and together they created the Dueto. The cigars are made at La Alianza, the factory of Perez Carrillo.

Name: Balmoral Dueto Robusto
Factory: Tabacalera La Alianza
Size: 5×50
Vitola: Robusto
Wrapper: Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Brazil & Nicaragua
Price: $ 9,75 (USA)
Cutter: Xikar X2
Lighter: single flame
Smoke conditions: indoors with ventilator
Smoke time: 1:40
Sponsored by Royal Agio

The Colorado coloured wrapper has a lot of small veins and it’s the best-looking cigar out there. But because of the two big rings, you don’t see much of the wrapper anyway. The ring is the normal Balmoral Añejo ring but with add-ons, in red and white, curvy and with Perez-Carrillo mentioned several times. The cigar feels good on the touch and the spicy hay aroma is quite strong.

In the cold draw I taste dried wood, hay and raisin. After lighting, I taste leather and caramel before tasting gingerbread-like spices. Leather seems to be the strongest flavour though. After three centimeters I taste dark chocolate too, for just a few puffs though. Then it’s back to leather, but now with some sugar and herbs. Pepper shows up halfway, and I pick up some cinnamon too. In the final third, I notice faint vanilla under the spices and the sweetness slowly grows. The base flavour is mildly bitter soil and the finale gives me hazelnut.

Strength: Medium
Flavour: Medium-Full

For the final score with a scientific diagram, a video and pictures, go to: https://ministryofcigars.com/balmoral-dueto-robusto/