Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-10-2019, 12:43 AM   #1
kingcobradude
Now known as Epicdragon7

First Name: Clay
Trading: (2)
kingcobradude is on a distinguished road
Default Matilde Oscuro

It has been a couple years since I have really smoked cigars. And even longer since I reviewed them but here goes.

Cigar: Matilde Oscuro Toro Bravo 6.5x54

Construction: 6.5/10. Tight draw at first, and a couple knots near the head that caused the wrapper to split towards the end. Ash stayed on for an inch to inch and a half.

Band design: 7/10. Fairly simple but attractive double band, and it was tight to the stick without being glued to the stick itself

Body: mild-medium at first, building to medium full.

Flavors: began with a leather and wood, leather and grassy finish, slight pepper comes in around the 1/3 mark. Half way brings in coffee on both draw and finish. Around the 2/3 mark, coffee takes over with a caramel background and hints of coco, and some draws had a slight nuttiness.

Burn time: I ended it with 2 inches left due to wrapper failure, 1 hour 20 minutes. It could have gone another 15 minutes if the wrapper didn't fail.

Final conclusions: the only letdown is the construction. I only had one of these, so I don't know if it was just a fluke. That being said, the flavors were wonderful. They appear to be a b&m only cigar(I didn't find any website selling them, and my local b&m doesn't carry them. I wouldn't buy it again as is, but would smoke if gifted one. Though if they fixed the construction problems and gave it a bit more body at the beginning third, I would definitely buy them if I saw them.

Last edited by kingcobradude; 11-10-2019 at 12:53 AM.
kingcobradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:06 AM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Matilde Oscuro

Great review, Clay, thanks!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:07 AM   #3
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Nice review.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:11 PM   #4
kingcobradude
Now known as Epicdragon7

First Name: Clay
Trading: (2)
kingcobradude is on a distinguished road

I should add a couple things.
1. It is Oscura, not Oscuro. (Always double check spelling)
2. I looked at other reviews, it appears I must have gotten a fluke in construction, I didn't see any other reports of a tight draw or construction issues.

With that update, I am willing to give it another go
Iirc, it was around $7.50 I paid for it, but I got it in Denver, a whole days drive from where I live.
kingcobradude is offline   Reply With Quote